Slacker gets a grip

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Cutaway, Nov 7, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Slacker Radcliffe, the famous athlete who couldn't be arrsed to dig deeper for her country at the Olympics, has just won the New York marathon.

Maybe there was a better purse for this race......
  2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Sir, you are so full of crap I'm staggered you got through Customs. I bite.

---------------begins-------------------------------------------08 Nov 04
    Well, seems to me she's had the last word ......GO PAULA !!

For Auld Sapper and anyone else who can't read and has the attention span of a mosquito, the greatest living female athlete in Britain just
    WHACKED the rest of the world's runners in the longest running mass field marathon in Noo Yoick city, in 2hrs 23 minutes. This was the slowest of her 5 marathons. Not only that, she won it in the last 400 metres against a Kenyan who had won 4 elite road races this summer in the US. Get this 26 miles and then SPRINT to the finish to win it!

Put that into context - the fastest Brit bloke in the USMC marathon, and I suspect the fastest British Forces marathon runner (a Royal Marine ), was 9 minutes slower over the same distance........

The gal done good. Eat crow those who dissed her here!

Crow in post - or do you Colonials prefer to shoot your own ?

Le Chevre
  3. The slowest of her five marathons? Surely that was the one where she bottled it and decided to have a nice sit down by the side of the road.
  4. As great an athlete as she is, the fact remains, she tanked in the biggest race of her life.
  5. Yup, she a dosser :D
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Nope - the five major 26.2 mile footraces against the best in the world in which, against the odds, this slightly built and engagingly down-to-earth Englishwoman has triumphed. You guys should be proud of her.

Next time YOU run 22 miles in 40 degrees C in under 2 hours over a largely uphill course come back here and talk about bottle....

<< Yeah but I'm not a professional athlete.....IRRELEVANT >>
    << Yeah but, she packed it in when she knew she wouldn't win a medal ....BALLS, she was close to dying>>
    << Yeah but I'm just another armchair critic who has no concept of what it takes to run at that level......CORRECT.>>

Celebrate her achievement and stop the eternal knocking.

Le Chevre
  7. Still a lazy bint :D
  8. is this the yahooo look at me cos i managed to run a marathon as well?
    and exactly what doyou achieve at the end of it? what achievement is there, i trained to do lots of things when i was younger, i didn't get appearance fees or paid by the lottery to do it. running yes it will help you maintain fitness, and yes i can run faster than some people but slower than a lot more. but i still can't see what is achieved by it...unless i was a chav and escaping from the law, what use is there for running? :wink:
  9. but could Paula stick a bergen on and do the job of the marine? I'd say no, especially if its in a hot country :roll:
  10. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

<< Yeah but, she packed it in when she knew she wouldn't win a medal ....BALLS, she was close to dying>>
    Le Chevre[/quote]

LC, I prefer taking the real reason from the actual person (i.e. Ms P Radcliffe) who said in her interview following the race that she gave up when she had been passed and put into 4th place and then realised she had no chance of a medal.

She did very well to win the NY marathon but the fact remains that she bottled the biggest race of her life.
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

LC, I prefer taking the real reason from the actual person (i.e. Ms P Radcliffe) [/quote]

Fair comment....her book is being serialised in the (IIRC) Sunday Times.
    She ran till the crap was running down her legs before she stopped.

Seems I'm in a minority on this one - WTF ! Just 'cos you guys are all putting your left feet down first doesn't mean I have to.... :wink:

Paula - I salute your courage and tenacity Ma'am - what you doin' Sat'day night ? :lol:
  12. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

Think she can last the pace then? :wink: 8O
  13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

So she ran until FOLLOWED THROUGH ? 8O

I nearly had new found respect for the bint - she still should have cracked on to show the world she was proud of it though ! :D
  14. Should be fit enough fo the sack but needs a bit more meat on her