Slab Murphys Farm under investigation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Plant-Pilot, Mar 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No link as it's only on the 'Breaking News' bar on Sky News so far, but they are reporting large scale organized crime investigations in IN. This includes the farm of 'Slab' Murphy being cordened off. It is now under investigation although it is unsure if this means some or all of the many allegations of 'alleged' smuggling, money laundering, terrorist and other crimes.

It can only be good news though.

2. Poor old Slab. Not his year is it? :lol:

3. Top republican at centre of border raids crackdown
    By Deric Henderson, PA
    Published: 09 March 2006
    A top republican was at the centre of a massive security operation linked to a major investigation into organised crime on both sides of the Irish border today.

Police in south Armagh and Garda in north Co Louth were involved in a series of raids.

At one stage an area around the family home of Thomas "Slab" Murphy, 62, allegedly the IRA's one-time Chief of Staff, was sealed off.

There were no immediate reports of any arrests, but one source in Northern Ireland confirmed: "It doesn't get any bigger than this."

Another claimed that a top Provo and who has made millions from smuggling, was the No 1 target.

It is understood an Assets Recovery Agency probe into IRA links to the ownership of 250 properties worth an estimated £9million in the Greater Manchester area was not involved in today's planned operation.

Instead, it was coordinated by senior police officers on both sides of the border, backed up by Irish army soldiers.

Up to 50 PSNI officers, as well as soldiers and two British Army helicopters were involved in the northern side, according to reports.

At the time of the ARA inquires in Manchester last October, Mr Murphy said he did not own any properties and insisted he made his living from farming.

A top republican was at the centre of a massive security operation linked to a major investigation into organised crime on both sides of the Irish border today.

Police in south Armagh and Garda in north Co Louth were involved in a series of raids.

At one stage an area around the family home of Thomas "Slab" Murphy, 62, allegedly the IRA's one-time Chief of Staff, was sealed off.

There were no immediate reports of any arrests, but one source in Northern Ireland confirmed: "It doesn't get any bigger than this."

Another claimed that a top Provo and who has made millions from smuggling, was the No 1 target.
    It is understood an Assets Recovery Agency probe into IRA links to the ownership of 250 properties worth an estimated £9million in the Greater Manchester area was not involved in today's planned operation.

Instead, it was coordinated by senior police officers on both sides of the border, backed up by Irish army soldiers.

Up to 50 PSNI officers, as well as soldiers and two British Army helicopters were involved in the northern side, according to reports.

At the time of the ARA inquires in Manchester last October, Mr Murphy said he did not own any properties and insisted he made his living from farming.

4. Hopefully it will be a joint Garda/RUC (PSNI my arrse) op otherwise how can it work? IIRC the border runs through the scumbags gaff. Mind you, he probably has so many Garda on his payroll anyway...........

Pete

5. At the time of the ARA inquires in Manchester last October, Mr Murphy said he did not own any properties and insisted he made his living from farming.

"No come on stop it, I can't stop laughing, you're not serious, no don't, oh fcuk I've wet myself with all this laughing".

6. Ches......Took the words etc........he is probably their biggest 'unofficial' benefactor. I suspect that many a Garda will miss their Christmas bonus should he go away !

7. Isn't his brother ( in law?) a senior figure in the Garda?

8. Give the Gardai a break guys. There are a lot of good decent Guards out there - many of them in SB - who want nothing to do with PIRA/IRA, Sinn Fein etc.

9. And Slab is a decent honest farmer who justs wants to spend time with his family!!?

10. Just read the latest release from the Garda web site and the latest groundbreaking news is:

There's a public auction of bicycles in Dublin on March 23rd

Finger on the pulse or what!

11. Most definitely not! As I said on another thread, at least the Gardai made sure he is safely locked away :lol:

12. In my opinion, they can do whatever they want to 'Slab' Murphy and his brothers, legal or illegal, and it still wouldn't be enough. They've got away with too much for too long.

13. Post deleted.

14. Mistersoft.

Read my prevous post. Thoma 'Slab' Murphy is currently languishing in a jail south of the border for belonging to an illegal proscribed organisation (PIRA). He got 12 years. At least the Gardai got him off the lanes around his farm.