SL News, Ideas and Thoughts so Far

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Good CO, Jan 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

So the rather bizarre and interesting 'future ARRSE' has been running for about a month now, although really only alive for the last couple of weeks. I thought it was time for some comments on whether it's worth it and where it might go.

Firstly a question - as a chat medium is the Pink Flamingo bar better than the plain old ARRSE chat room? (ignoring server lag. leading me to...)

Server speed / lag. It seems to me that many of the games within SL are crap as a result of server performance / lag. I like the darts in the PF bar, but anything more complex, such as the pool, seems more or less unplayable. Racing is also currently not good most of the time. This will hopefully change soon when the server software of SL will be made open source. Then we will host the island in the UK rather than going via San Francisco all the time.

Island content. At the moment we're missing decent content beyond the 'bars' and some experiements such as the 25m range. Ideas and energy are badly needed here (but thanks to those who've already contributed here!).

What about regimental / equipment / recruiting displays? In the spaceflight museum I'm always banging on about you can do a shuttle tour and look around inside the shuttle cockpit - a cube with the images shown on the inside. Could this be done for an MBT, a ship, a command post, a Sgts' Mess? Anything that people would find interesting.

By the way, building things is not so difficult and there are plenty of very cheap builders / scripters out there. If you have an idea then your lack of ability to build should not be a major hurdle.

All sorts of things are possible and we can give land for anything interesting - not a common offer in SL.

So my thoughts so far? An interesting experiment for ARRSE / the Army and I still think it has a good future. Place your bets on how long it will be before the Army will look at recruiting in SL - land of bored youth.
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Another idea is the "RnR News". If any of the regulars would like to have a dedicated page on ARRSE and be able to distribute this on the island, then let me know. Content? Limited at the moment, but will grow and is a good means of promoting the island.
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Also... a wiki entry on how, where etc would be good. We can post a link here and on the site front page.
  4. YES! I have a host of ideas!

Firstly to generate rental why not build a load of prefabs in a courtyard idea with a 'play' area in the middle. It's possible to allow only the owner to place objects so it'll be the persons own space. (To be fair i was thinking of renting from you then doing this to cover my rent :() Also what about paying rent in RL money?

There doesn't seem to be enough things to attract us to the island other than a RV point. Minxy has suggested the idea of approaching the site sponsors and offering them a 'shop' in a RnR Mall to display their goods.

We've been having a great time linedancing, what about a dance hall? Maybe with three or four areas/levels with different styles of music?

We're also thinking of having themed nights and treasure hunts outside the island.

I'm an addict.

Beebs x
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

rent is effectively in real money. you just need to attach a paypal / credit card account to your free account. doesn't cost anything and makes it very easy to manage. Agree with prefabs - a display area basically.

I've spoken to Mansized about a virtual magazine - a front page flyer basically, but haven't had the time to persue it. We have also discussed a virtual RVOps, but once again time has stopped me on this one. I agree though - content is lacking.

would want further comment on this. dancing in SL means placing your avatar and letting it crack on, no?

ok, but needs an organiser and a community
    I'm undecided although I know the potential is enormous, although I also know that the cynicism of the majority of users is even bigger
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Yes, that's why I wrote about ignoring server lag and the fact that this would improve in my first post.

7. Ok Sarky!

Even without the lag issues, you can only view three lines of text on SL, to view more you have to go into the chat history.

I just feel that, while it is a good offering, it's not really that suitable as an alternative to a specific, purely text based chatroom per se.
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I agree that you need to face the daunting menus of SL (not sarcastic!) to see the chat history and make it useable. Also I don't think you can change colours as you can in the arrse chat.

What I do like is that you can look at people to a certain extent and the pm system is good as is moving away from the group as you go out of earshot.

I do appreciate the feedback despite my sarcasm
  9. I've had a number of complaints regarding the sudden disappearance of the Castle on the Island, I apologise for its sudden disappearance.

It was thought under the circumstances that it takes up room that could be used for other things.

A complete re-vamp of the Pink Flamingo (NAAFI) is underway making it a little less cluttered, either completely changing the whole building OR making it bigger and adding another floor, make it a little friendlier.

The race track is in desperate need of a build, any budding builders out there fancy giving it a shot??

I know some of you have bumped into and befriended builders/scripters whilst on your travels, could you IM me some details if they would be willing to help regarding the Island.

Really could do with some more ideas on what you would like to see, and some volunteers to help.
  10. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

I found a telephone booth somewhere that when placed within the location (say the pink flamingo) when users click on this it downloads a small bit of software that will allow the users stood in that area to speak to each other with a mic and speakers on there pc. However if you move to the range then it will not work. I will see if I can dig out somemore details.

Sammi Shabazz
  11. Can we organise a sharking contest?

Players RV at Pink Flamingo say 2000. Prizes awarded for players returning from forage trip with the most interesting women (and their toys) by 2100.
  12. SL is fine as a chat substitute except that you can only run it on a reasonable PC, whereas you can use ARRSE chat on a poorly-specc'd laptop or mobile device.

For this reason, I'd ask that you keep the ARRSE chat room open alongside RnR Island.
  13. I can't see that happening while we have Mature status. Flashy, as much as we appreciate him, may twist and sicken their maleable young minds too much.

However, good idea to get the ARRSE sponsors involved... maybe if they contribute enough we could get Lottery funding to set up a secure zone for recruiting, Regt museums, streaming stuff about history etc.
  14. similar to this I found a headset that connects skype to second life for real time chat bandwidth permitting :meditate:
  15. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Don't worry folks, there is NO intention to close down the chat room.