sl madness

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by mattlee, Jun 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im struggling to get this to regester in my head why people would want to do it and spend so much money on it, this isnt a critisism of the game i just wanted to be enlightend on this game as from what i can see its getting much bigger very fast.
    The only thing i can really see the reasons for the game and its gamers is to get away from the life they are living and live in the fantasy world they dream of, i just get how it works.
    Also ive seen that there can be some serious money to be made from playing the game ... is that a motive?

cheers
    matt

p.s no offence is intended by this topic

2. Same as any other chat room matt, except SL is more interactive. As for escapism, I logged on the other night and wandered into the RnR Memorial Garden, it's a remarkably peaceful and contemplative place to be and hats off to the creators. If I'd chosen to wander round my local cemetary at 0200 I'd probably have been arrested. Money? it's not expensive, I was logged on for months before I spent a penny. If its not your cuppa, don't log on.

3. Have to agree with Bob, its a more interactive way to chat. With the release of Voice Chat imminent ,it will change the whole concept of SL again. (its being tested on the beta grid)

Im sure if you put in time and effort (24/7) you can make money and people do, lots of it. The Lindens certainly rack it in!!

The memorial garden is fantastic Bob and I've found a number of people on the Island at various times, in the Garden doing very much the same as you (think we have all been there at some point).

Roleplay is all a massive part of SL - there are hundreds of SIMS dedicated to roleplay and combat.

I suppose its very versatile and can be used for what ever you want, as the lindens say "Its your world, created by you"

4. The Memorial Garden is excellent and I have added 33's recent losses, sorry if I took up so much room in one of the corners, maybe there could be a way of tidying the crosses up, expanding the Garden etc.? a really good idea though and it does make you stand there (in a virtual way of course) and take time out to think of those not here anymore, can we have some Poem/Epitaph on the Monument? we have this one in our RE EOD Site - (See Below) and maybe some music that can be selected i.e. Taps, British Soldier, I was only 19 (Aus Song not the n,n,n,n nineteen one!)

[align=center]
    Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there I do not sleep
    I am the thousand winds that blow
    I am the diamond glints on snow
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain
    I am the gentle autumnal rain

When you waken in the morning hush
    I am the soft uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight
    I am the stars that shine at night