Skys screwed up

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by bossyboots, Dec 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have sky t.v which lately seems to have thrown a right royal strop.
    It's not sky+ or anything, its just a bog standard sky digibox thing.
    Yesterday i went to view the listings to find that Channel 4 and Channel 5 had completely disappeared in all shape, size and form. If i press 104 or 105 i get a message of 'channel unavailable'
    BBC1 has now become BBC1 London
    BBC2 has now become BBC2 England
    ITV1 has now become ITV Central instead of Yorkshire.
    Is anyone else experiencing this weird happening and if so, can it be put to rights and how?

2. what address is yr card registered to?

3. My home address up here in Yorkshire. I have had the box some 6 years now with no prior problems.

4. Not happening on my sky box. Still got BBC1 South West and ITV West Country. CH4 and CH5 are still there too. Living in England BBC2 is always BBC2 England.

I have seen it before where I get the London news instead of the local South West variety on the BBC but it is always sorted after one bulletin.

5. Thanks Pompeyex. I dont know why this has suddenly happened, its been 2 days now and its still the same.

6. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Try resetting the box by turning it off at the mains. Wait a few minutes and then turn it back on again. This has worked for me in the past when a Sky box has "gone funny".

Mine is SkyPlus mind you but I don't see why it would make any difference in this case. Failing that ring the Sky Technical bods - they're usually quite helpful in my experience.

7. Sorry, the Sky Bods aint that helpful. When it rains, we loose about 20 channels, asked them and they said its down to satellite etc etc, anything but a problem with their kit. When i told them next door doesnt have the same problem, they shut up. Then started blaming the satellite again.

An engineer would look at it, if i paid.

8. Buy a new one that will sort it
    Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but ...................
    ITS FCUKED

9. Scarletto, check your wires for water ingress, esp the LMB. (the bit the wire goes in to).

The water will act as a natural filter for some frequencies, and stop them getting in.

bossyboots, try the 13 amp reset (unplug leave a bit, plug back in). If that doesn´t work, throw it down the stairs, stamp on it a few times and try again!

Or swap cards with someone and see if the the problem moves (prob with teh card) or is still at your place (problem with your box)

10. Bossy, sounds like your box has lost it's settings and reverted to the factory settings. Try this website which will guide you through the setup for your area.

11. Thanks for the replies. I have turned it off and back on again at the mains a few times since i've had it when it gets 'stuck'

I'll try that in the morning Joe_Private, cheers.

If all else fails then i shall take Chocolate_Frogs advice and stamp on it until i get fed up, then i'll chuck it at the dogs bonce.

12. Some of the channels have moved, noticed this on my freeview box. Yeah, I know, freeview box, but I'm never at home long enough to appreciate or bother paying for Sky.

13. Channel 4 and 5 are nowhere to be seen on the listings Sainty, not even channel 4 + 1 and Fiver etc.
    They appear to have been stolen 8O

14. Do you live in the cotswolds? My sky dish on itv gives me Thames Valley, if I switch to the ariel on same tv I get east midlands. The old TV upstairs on an indoor ariel shows the south west (correct).

Though I did receive London Tonight (or whatever its called) for a while from sky, much more interesting murder, rape, bombs and crack. Better than local news, and nowhere near me!

15. I'm oop noorth in Yorkshire Leveller.