Skys screwed up

I have sky t.v which lately seems to have thrown a right royal strop.
It's not sky+ or anything, its just a bog standard sky digibox thing.
Yesterday i went to view the listings to find that Channel 4 and Channel 5 had completely disappeared in all shape, size and form. If i press 104 or 105 i get a message of 'channel unavailable'
BBC1 has now become BBC1 London
BBC2 has now become BBC2 England
ITV1 has now become ITV Central instead of Yorkshire.
Is anyone else experiencing this weird happening and if so, can it be put to rights and how?

My home address up here in Yorkshire. I have had the box some 6 years now with no prior problems.

Not happening on my sky box. Still got BBC1 South West and ITV West Country. CH4 and CH5 are still there too. Living in England BBC2 is always BBC2 England.

I have seen it before where I get the London news instead of the local South West variety on the BBC but it is always sorted after one bulletin.

Thanks Pompeyex. I dont know why this has suddenly happened, its been 2 days now and its still the same.

Try resetting the box by turning it off at the mains. Wait a few minutes and then turn it back on again. This has worked for me in the past when a Sky box has "gone funny".

Mine is SkyPlus mind you but I don't see why it would make any difference in this case. Failing that ring the Sky Technical bods - they're usually quite helpful in my experience.

Sorry, the Sky Bods aint that helpful. When it rains, we loose about 20 channels, asked them and they said its down to satellite etc etc, anything but a problem with their kit. When i told them next door doesnt have the same problem, they shut up. Then started blaming the satellite again.

An engineer would look at it, if i paid.

Scarletto, check your wires for water ingress, esp the LMB. (the bit the wire goes in to).

The water will act as a natural filter for some frequencies, and stop them getting in.

bossyboots, try the 13 amp reset (unplug leave a bit, plug back in). If that doesn´t work, throw it down the stairs, stamp on it a few times and try again!

Or swap cards with someone and see if the the problem moves (prob with teh card) or is still at your place (problem with your box)

Thanks for the replies. I have turned it off and back on again at the mains a few times since i've had it when it gets 'stuck'

I'll try that in the morning Joe_Private, cheers.

If all else fails then i shall take Chocolate_Frogs advice and stamp on it until i get fed up, then i'll chuck it at the dogs bonce.

bossyboots said:
I have sky t.v which lately seems to have thrown a right royal strop.
It's not sky+ or anything, its just a bog standard sky digibox thing.
Yesterday i went to view the listings to find that Channel 4 and Channel 5 had completely disappeared in all shape, size and form. If i press 104 or 105 i get a message of 'channel unavailable'
BBC1 has now become BBC1 London
BBC2 has now become BBC2 England
ITV1 has now become ITV Central instead of Yorkshire.
Is anyone else experiencing this weird happening and if so, can it be put to rights and how?
Some of the channels have moved, noticed this on my freeview box. Yeah, I know, freeview box, but I'm never at home long enough to appreciate or bother paying for Sky.

Channel 4 and 5 are nowhere to be seen on the listings Sainty, not even channel 4 + 1 and Fiver etc.
They appear to have been stolen 8O

Do you live in the cotswolds? My sky dish on itv gives me Thames Valley, if I switch to the ariel on same tv I get east midlands. The old TV upstairs on an indoor ariel shows the south west (correct).

Though I did receive London Tonight (or whatever its called) for a while from sky, much more interesting murder, rape, bombs and crack. Better than local news, and nowhere near me!

I'm oop noorth in Yorkshire Leveller.

leveller said:
Do you live in the cotswolds? My sky dish on itv gives me Thames Valley, if I switch to the ariel on same tv I get east midlands. The old TV upstairs on an indoor ariel shows the south west (correct).

Though I did receive London Tonight (or whatever its called) for a while from sky, much more interesting murder, rape, bombs and crack. Better than local news, and nowhere near me!
Your two terrestrial signals (E Midlands & SW) are coming from two different transmitters. It sounds like your fixed ariel is pointing in the wrong direction.

Your sky box is set up for the wrong region, (as all areas of the country will receive the same signals, the choice of what BBC1 & 2 and ITV regional stations are shown in the 101, 102, & 103 slots is dependant on the box set-up) and if you follow the link I gave above, you should find the codes to adjust your box to give you the region you want.

The London Tonight thing is one of two scenarios.
a. You are tuned to BBC News 24, and are watching the six o'clock news. When it's time for the regional news, News 24 has to broadcast something, so it broadcasts the London area local programme.
b. You are tuned to your regional BBC1. When it is time for the regional news, the live feed from London (which is now the London area local news) should be cut out by your regional studio, and replaced with their feed, before being transmitted to the satellite, but for one of a few reasons, there is a failure to replace the London feed. Your regional studio instead sends out the London feed, and you are left watching London Tonight (or whatever it's called).

I heard reports of similar troubles here when they switched off the analogue feed and all went to digital. Did not happen to me so I cannot be positive but if the change has already taken place where you are, get onto the people handling the transition.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Like others have said, there are a few stunts you can pull to reset the box. Unplugging from the mains for 90 seconds is just the first port of call.

On a Sky+ box, there are at least two more resets possible, one of which ISTR defrags the hard drive while the other wipes it. That's as far as I have ever had to go. Contrary to what one replier has helpfully posted, I have spoken to Sky on a number of occasions and they have always fixed it first time. If it's down to rain, it's an act of God: get over it - even Sky cannot fix that.

After one failure to repair, I got my original Sky+ box replaced with a second generation box which has been turtly stable for a number of years (touch wood). I am told the third generation boxes (with Sky Anytime built in) are even better. Because of the problems I have encountered a couple of times, I have been told that there is a record on my account that next time I order a call-out to replace the box, it will be free. They also told me that when they replaced the box as an SOP last time, for £35 pounds (the excess of buying a new box over the repair of the old one) they could have slipped me a third generation box.

Many people I know talk about phoning Sky, telling them they are fed up and want to quit, which invariably gets them some sort of freeby. Maybe I am lucky. I cannot imagine now living without Sky+.

Lost all the sky channels last week,tinterweb advice = turn off the mains,take out the card and re insert it again. Don't apparently do this in a thunderstorm.............