Skype Upgrade - Be Aware

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by JoeCivvie, Apr 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just passing on what happened to me on Friday /yesterday.

Had a message that there was a new Skype upgrade available (to v., so I upgraded, and then toddled off for supper. Came back and briefly used the PC before heading of to bed - the PC response was sluggish, and left click slow at best, so I made a mental note to change mouse batteries in the a.m. as that's what the problem looked like.

Next day the PC was varying between being completely spastic and OK. At first I thought the new batteries I'd put in the mouse were shot so I binned those for more new ones, but the problems remained.

I tried shutting various processes to identify the problem, but nothing was apparent as the cause. As the only change I'd made before the problems started was to upgrade Skype I decided to un-install it completely and do a clean install - problem solved.
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

ms have got their hands on it now so it could be over bloated with trying to network with everything in the planet.
  3. curiously the skype for windows 8 wouldnt download for me so I stuck to the skpe desktop, will keep my eye on things thanks for the heads up
  4. I just had a similar issue. certain programs wouldn't run others would run fine. If I tried to open a system program there would be freezing and odd things (even stopped programs starting when windows started that I wanted). I eventually disabled the skype update service and stopped skype starting when windows started (it wouldn't let me uninstall) and that solved things. It then let me install it and then I installed the Windows 8 version and that wouldn't let me log on. MS have royally messed it up, the twats.