Skype PC to iPad Problems

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by JoeCivvie, Mar 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to contact family in the UK via Skype from my Windows 7 PC to their iPad is sending my postal. We get a straight connection once in 20 times, but the rest of the time calls from either end go straight to VM without ringing.

I know that Apple products are universally SHITE and designed and coded by blind, Syphilitic otters with no paws, but is there a fix? I've just wasted 20 mins of my life trying to get a call through. First time is usually OK, but if the line drops then that's when the problems start. Sometimes signing out and then back in again works, but not all time.
  2. msr

msr LE

Where are you?
  3. Use a PC on the other end. iPads, iPhones and iTunes are the work of the devil. So many variables. It could even be taking the hump because iOS updated this week. Make sure the iPad is updated?

Dig up Steve Jobs, rip his head off and shit down his neck. Might work.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

My apple products are fine, both here in Canada and UK. Mind you I've stopped using Skype if I can FaceTime instead. it is much better and has less bandwidth hog.

skype is having a bit of trouble as they swap over Messenger from MS to Skype. Have you tried something else like Google Hangout (you would need a fellow Google gmail caller)

I have had to engineer Skype for family in the Middle East and it was a nightmare with router settings, firewalls and VPNs. If you PM me the set up I might have had the problem before
  5. I so agree with you, Apple products are the work of the Devil.

Hong Kong.JPG

The clue is under 'Location:' :-D

Guns - thanks, I'll PM you tomorrow.
  6. Sounds like your set up or ISP might be the problem. My missus can Skype me from her Vista laptop in Afghanistan to my iPad in the UK now that she is using Proxima as her ISP. The video quality is ok from the laptop. It is better when she uses her Kindle Fire HD.
    Paradigm Welcome UK deliberately blocks Skype, amongst other things, to save bandwidth. She only has issues when trying at peak times ie early evening in the UK.
    Try a different time of day or pay for a better ISP.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

One solution I used was a VPN set up to the UK. DIY set ups are feasible but ball braking

I use StrongVPN with a UK out. $89 a year and worth every penny.
  8. Skype is shite; pay for your calls or put up with it.
  9. OK, thanks for the answers, guys.
  10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I used skype for a while but the continual connection problems and crappy line made me give up and I just got a cheapo spare phone and a special rate international sim card from O2 - calls to family overseas run to about £10 a month for me - they did have a bolt on to your existing sim but wasn't such good falue as the stand alone int sim - skype was crap.
  11. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Erm... might be putting myself in the firing line but I always thought peer-to-peer WAS a direct link a la client/server. That's what differentiated P2P fire-sharing like Limewire or Napster from the distributed network sharing of Torrents.
  12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Limewire certainly didn't. It was all client to client.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2