Skype mic volume

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Charm_City, May 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody help?

Been trying to get Skype running on an old, low-spec PC using XP. All OK apart from the fact that mic is very faint - if the user shouts they are just audible at the distant end.

Although low-spec the PC is used for nothing else apart from occasional surfing/e-mail and copes with that. It's not a headset problem - tried two different headsets, both of which work 5x5 on other PCs. I've been through every volume setting I can find in Skype and Windows and set them to max chat.

Before I start to wonder about the physical connection to the PC (i.e. is the 3.5mm input jack socket screwed?) and about the gubbins inside the PC, does anybody have any suggestions what I might have missed?

Thanks in advance

C_C

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Hve you gone to Call/Learn about call quality and checked that out first.

3. I had a similar problem when I installed Skype. Finally after several days realised I had a volume control on the flat screen (base). Sorted....gawpin technology! :?

4. Yup ! Perhaps should have said - Skype itself isn't giving me any indication that there is a problem as in the 'your microphone is very quiet' or 'there is a lot of background noise' messages you get sometimes.

C_C

5. msr

msr LE

I think this is due to a setting you have not yet discovered.

msr

6. Ta - I'll have a look for that.

C_C

7. Skype is fairly low bandwidth and as a result any imperfections are magnified. Normally, problems related to sound quality are a result of the soundcard. If you are using a slightly old motherboard with on-board sound then it might be an indication that the mobo is on its way out - nearly every fried mobo I ever had started to show its age with poor sound.

As for volume, skype is fairly limited in its actual sound control. You will find it best to use the sound controls that came with your computer. Look for things like mic.boost and things like that to amp up the sound.

I would suggest looking at what type of sound card you have, if its a PCI type card then buy a new one; if its on-board, consider a new machine.

A Gucci solution is to buy a new headset with the soundcard in-built. Pay around £150 and its usb. You wont get anything better for that sort of thing. logitech g35 is the gold standard.

8. Ta - I'll look at that, but at £150 it's getting away from what I was aiming for - cheapo comms to someone while I'm in the US for 3 months.

C_C

9. Yeah - I fear it is going to be a couple of hours going through every setting on the PC, followed by beating the thing with a heavy object while screaming 'Die, die, die', followed by 'I'll send you a postcard from DC'.

C_C

10. Go to
    Control panel
    sound and audio devices
    select voice
    voice recording

in there you have a few options might help also do you have any mute mic options switched on. I have come across headsets that have a switch to mute the mic and users have never noticed.