Skype and Skype alternatives

I use Skype because it is free, and it allows me to share screens. Unfortunately, Skype has not been very reliable over the past couple of years. Luckily I was able to re-install the classic version, which works better than the latest one.

That is all about to change. From 1 September, we shall all have to migrate to Skype version 8.0, or lose this service.
Link to web report here Microsoft retires Skype Classic on September 1 2018 - gHacks Tech News

I have been looking at alternatives. There are one or two that are possibilities, but you have to pay.

My latest attempt is to investigate QQ international, which is free. I do not know if I can share screens yet, I am still translating the instructions slowly.

Does anyone know of a free messaging service that allows you to share screens?

I find the problem with Skype latest is the user friendliness, which it isn't... apart from that it's a solid and established tool for businesses to communicate worldwide and I do use it alot on a daily basis

We use zoom at work, it's very good.

For video and audio calls US/UK, FaceTime is hard to beat, if all participants have the right hardware.

I still use Skype to call a couple people who can't use FT, and the quality is noticeably poorer than FT. But it's free, so all is good.

Living abroad as I do, I used to use Skype to keep in touch with family at home. When the quality went seriously downhill a few years ago, I switched over to Facebook's Messenger. Absolutely night and day. It's very seldom that I have any issues using it.

I'm not sure how good it would be for business use, but for private use I'm very pleased with it.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Living abroad as I do, I used to use Skype to keep in touch with family at home. When the quality went seriously downhill a few years ago, I switched over to Facebook's Messenger. Absolutely night and day. It's very seldom that I have any issues using it.

I'm not sure how good it would be for business use, but for private use I'm very pleased with it.
My phone doesn't have the grunt for Messenger. Messenger Lite is an entirely suitable alternative with reduced function.

I use Telegram and Discord - no idea if this would suit your needs.
Thank you Dan. I did a wee search and came up with these comparison pages. I think Discord sounds good, although there is a limit on the size of files that it can transmit compared to Skype. When sharing screens, Discord lets you choose between the whole screen, or just one window on it. That gives the user more security.
For one reason and another, I started using Zoom rather than Slack. It works very well.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-better-Skype-or-Discord-Why#

≫ Skype vs Telegram Messenger | Messaging app comparison

Skype Is Awful for Text Chat. Use Telegram Instead

But Slack is more business-y. I hardly know anyone in my friend circle who uses it for personal use/ aware of it even! Don't get me wrong, I like it too, but never used it outside of it.
That's a fair point. I've begun using Discord recently for more personal use, and it seems pretty good so far (if similar to Slack functionality-wise).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dennis48 Gaming and Software 1
JoeCivvie Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 4
JoeCivvie Gaming and Software 12