SkyNet Satellite Comms

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by captaincalamity, Nov 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couple of interesting points raised by this (if the story is factually correct).

1) It appears that the Armed forces are still driving technology in this country, does anyone know of the 'next-best' UK space project?
    2) We must have a huge amount of data be bounced around to have an entire 2 sats to ourselves
    3) Did the project naming chap watch abit to much Terminator?

TMS

2. Because the birds are owned by Paradigm they will rent out bandwidth to other (civ) users in an attempt to recoup some of the costs they have layed out.

3. Could be something to do with a place in Wiltshire called Skynet Drive which existed before the movie as far as I know :D

4. And happens to have a bloody great new Paradigm building next to it. The previous set of birds were also Skynet (the 4 series). The differences in bandwidth provision between Skynet 4 and 5 are astonishing. I do like a bit of satellite geekery!

5. Am glad a big hollywood film was responsible the name used.

What sort of bandy-width are we looking at? or at least what sort of scale when compared to something like the new(ish) EuroBirds?

7. This is the one part of the Skynet program that has gone well, the other (Project REACHER) is such a Cake and Arrse party we may never get to use the uplift in bandwidth!

Any navy in the house want to comment on the naval version?

Jimima

8. Boney_m... Do I spot a fellow JS Satcom mnrg there?? Loved that course. Does that make me a spotter??

Know a RAF chap who used to work flying the 4's. His boss's job title was OC Space and I s**t you not his name was Piccard..

9. Cow

Cow LE

Having worked with the Ex RAF lads at Oakhanger the 5 series can't come quick enough. Bandwidth is a ever reducing on the 4 series as orrifices request more end user facilities. Numerous Ops have been supported by Commercial Satellites as the MOD had no coverage over the area. Get them up there, the quicker the better! The 4 series are way past their use by date, they're running on fumes.

10. Some more spotter info... as of a couple of years ago 2B was still flying.. they passed traffic over it for its 30th birthday. Or so i'm told....

11. Cow

Cow LE

Launch delayed

Better to stick it up in one piece late than have it end up in little bits...

12. ...or for it to fail once aloft! Although REME has lots of space cadets, I don't think any of them are yet good enough to go and fix a satellite in orbit!

Litotes