Skylon

Woot! the mad boffins of jet reaction are testing the engine for Skylon the son of hotol yay.
Proper bleeding edge tech that could cange the world.
had a spot on the news

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
This sounds like the best investment opportunity in decades. If there was a share option in REL I'd stump up a few bob, jut to keep the development in UK.

Alan Bond isnt a fake. If he can make this work, then the jet engine is sooooo last century.

Saw the same clip on the box. Looks excellent so it'll go the same way as all of our other inventions:

Reaction Engines Ltd : Current Projects : SKYLON

[video=youtube;3bkjiGGy0gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bkjiGGy0gc[/video]

Edited to add: Fireball XL5 meets SR71

If dave had a brain he'd use the trident cash to build this it would make space useable once your in orbit your 90% to anywhere.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Its great getting up there, and the orbital mechanics are elementary my dear (Gene) Krantz, but re entry may be problematic. Most delivery systems dont even concern themselves with re-entry at all and leave that bit out of the engineering. I'd be interested to see if Skylon or anyone else, could explain how the heat of re-entry is going to be so simple. Does the re-entry just tear the engines apart? does the outer skin of Skylon need replacing after every flight?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Saw the same clip on the box. Looks excellent so it'll go the same way as all of our other inventions:
Yeah. Jammed into a plastic tube for 12 hours eating shite food and watching a bollocks movie over headphones that crackle then having some fat bint with hormone issues telling you that you cannot have another plastic little bottle of wine on your shitty fold down laptop 'table' then somebodies ******* sprog pukes on the back of your seat and starts to howl and the fat **** next to you quietly voids his bowels.

Hell in space vs Hell at 50,000ft? Hmmm. Tough one.

Its great getting up there, and the orbital mechanics are elementary my dear (Gene) Krantz, but re entry may be problematic. Most delivery systems dont even concern themselves with re-entry at all and leave that bit out of the engineering. I'd be interested to see if Skylon or anyone else, could explain how the heat of re-entry is going to be so simple. Does the re-entry just tear the engines apart? does the outer skin of Skylon need replacing after every flight?
Any help?

Reaction Engines Ltd : Current Projects : SKYLON - The Vehicle

During re-entry, which occurs at an altitude between 90 to 60km the heat is radiated away from the hot aeroshell. Heat is prevented from entering the vehicle by layers of reflecting foil and the low conductivity shell support posts. Liquid hydrogen is evaporated in the main tanks, passed through thermal screens to intercept the small residual heat leak and then vented overboard.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
we could have done this 30 odd years ago with HOTOL.

we could find the money, but we havent got the vision.

We have been promised this stuff and spandex jackets for fifty years, Please lets get this one off the ground.It would be nice to have a future for uk plc.

What you need is a hook on the bottom of the space station and a long rope that you could lower skylon down on. Nothing is hard when you think it out properly.

How long before these are real??
They're not? F#ck me, that's 200 credits wasted on the Boonta Eve Classic on Tatooine. Jabba's not going to be happy .........

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
TY scalieback.

I'm just a little doubtful about the "reflecting foil" as I dont think such a thing exists: its usually huge chunks of ablating ceramics.
I know. Still, lets hope it does get off the ground (pun intended) and it's not put on the scrapheap like everything else it seems that is looking towards the future.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
What you need is a hook on the bottom of the space station and a long rope that you could lower skylon down on. Nothing is hard when you think it out properly.
Arthur C Clarke said exactly that... in 3001, Final Odyssey. Physics says its possible...

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I know. Still, lets hope it does get off the ground (pun intended) and it's not put on the scrapheap like everything else it seems that is looking towards the future.
If anything needs investment then this is it. Not only government investment but from us all who want to make this work. I would. Even if the scramjet works for suborbital flight (think concorde with REL engines) then its going to change world travel in the same way as the jet engine did.

Latest Threads