Skydiving

Hi,

Anyone been skydiving here? if so, from your own experience how did you find it would you recommend it to others? reason I ask is because i'm stuck inbetween saying go for it and forgetting about it... honestly it's not that i'm scared :oops:

It's tedious. You just fall out of a plane and plummet to the ground.

Try paragliding it's a much more satisfying sport and involves some skill - as opposed to simply blindly following the rules of gravity.

Try it out and see, contact the Army Parachute Association, based at Netheravon, I did and now miss it. I have 2 years then I'm too old.

http://www.bpa.org.uk/dzf/pages/netheravon.html

By the way, I was bricking it on the day of my first jumps (17th birthday) but like all good training the drills take over, and the buzz during and afterwards is pure adrenalin. It changes you for the better, builds confidence, and gives you more fanny magnetism. Buy cool shades for DZ use.

bigeye said:

Try paragliding it's a much more satisfying sport and involves some skill - as opposed to simply blindly following the rules of gravity.
I thought all we with wings of Nilpo followed basic physical rules, gravity, drag, thermals etc. At least parachutists land within walking distance of the clubroom bar.

Definately try it.
You'll never forget it, & you'll draw confidence from the fact that you did it when you encounter situations in the future that sh*t you up.
You'll just think, if I did that, I can do this.

still21inmymind said:
bigeye said:

I thought all we with wings of Nilpo followed basic physical rules, gravity, drag, thermals etc. At least parachutists land within walking distance of the clubroom bar.

Bloody meatbombs!
The difference is that we defy gravity, hit cloud base, float about a bit and then land near a handy BBQ or better still on a cricket pitch ensuring a decent tea. (as long as you don't give the bails a kick as you flare in)

and then have to hitch all the way back to our bloody cars.

bigeye said:
still21inmymind said:
bigeye said:

Bloody meatbombs!
The difference is that we defy gravity, hit cloud base, float about a bit and then land near a handy BBQ or better still on a cricket pitch ensuring a decent tea. (as long as you don't give the bails a kick as you flare in)
You wouldn't be the bugger who interrupted the Kildwick match recently by any chance??

still21inmymind said:
bigeye said:
still21inmymind said:
bigeye said:

Bloody meatbombs!
You wouldn't be the bugger who interrupted the Kildwick match recently by any chance??
What? The pitch near the river, not too far from the Skipton Road?

I usually find it's worthwhile throwing a few wing overs to give the Umpire time to suspend play - he must have been myopic.

No not me, although I did land on a very crowded pub garden table at the Bridge Inn in Abergervenny once.

i wasnt scared , until my legs were hanging out the side door and there was no going back.

iamaviking said:
i wasnt scared , until my legs were hanging out the side door and there was no going back.
The higher you are the safer you are (over 50' AGL or so of course ). More time to sort it all out should your gear turn into a bag o' washing.

The scariest jump I ever did was at Queen's Parade. So low you can hear the buggers at the DZ chatting about how bloody scared I looked!

Don't do one of those naff tandem jumps, save that for your granny.
If you have the ankles to jump off a 6 ft wall ok, then do a solo one.

Skydiving costs a fortune. Think it's cheaper to do a solo static line jump.

Mate Ive been a way from the sport for some years now, have about 100 jumps under my belt and miss it every day. Been to California twice to jump with my Corps on Ex Market Star.

I am im in Germany now and wife has said i can start it back up again........

Am wondering if I have some new life insurance I dont know about !!!!!

You can start with a static line course or go for an AFF Course.

Static Line - Connected by a lanyard to the aircraft and everything is opened for you for the first few jumps as you progress (RAM Air Progression System). You move on to free fall eventually with you opening your own main.

AFF (Accelerated Free Fall) - You, two instructors and about 13000ft of open ness. It is still a progression system but is all in free fall. Quickest way to get your Cat 8.

I hope all this is still up todate info.

There are guys on here that know more than me though.

Thanks for all those who have replied,

I was thinking about the tandem package, for a beginner like myself - just to get the feel and a bit more research into it all.

Whilst on the subject of adventure training has anyone here done caving before?

Fundraising Tandem Skydives are available with the Red Devil's for the 2009 season.

The team are set to be working with over 30 Military charities funds & associations in 2009, with over 100 Civilian Charities also along for the ride.

Total cost is £290 per skydive. (Of which a £90 reservation fee is payable at time of booking)
Minimum average sponsorship amount set by the charities is £500.
If this entire amount is eligible for Gift Aid at 28% the charity could receive as much as £350 for all of your efforts. The highest ratio of return available from any other suppliers.

Dates & locations are posted below:

Strathallan (Scotland) 7th May 8th May 11th May
Strathallan (Scotland) 12th May 13th May
Netheravon (Wiltshire) 26th May 27th May 28th May
Langar Airfield (Nottingham) 9th June 10th June 11th June
Dunkeswell Airfield (Devon) 23rd June 24th June 25th June
Langar Airfield (Nottingham) 7th July 8th July 9th July
Langar Airfield (Nottingham) 1st Sept 2nd Sept 3rd Sept
Netheravon (Wiltshire) 22nd Sept 23rd Sept 24th Sept
Langar Airfield (Nottingham) 6th Oct 7th Oct 8th Oct

For how to book & further information please visit the teams website:

www.reddevilsonline.co...ndem_jumps

Or alternatively visit the Red Devil's exclusive events partner's Click and Jump, who offer a one-stop shop for all of the UK's Dropzones, Group bookings & can assist with all your enquiries.

Visit: www.clickandjump.co.uk or email: info@clickandjump.co.uk

Call 0800 345 7468

By using a online fundraising page with www.bmycharity.com you could increase the ratio of return for your chosen charity by over 80% compared to other suppliers. More information available on the Click and Jump website or directly through Bmycharity.

If you’re going to do it, you might as well do it with the best in the business.
It's as easy as falling out of a plane!!

This is a bump.

I find myself in Australia for a couple of months soon, my nearest and dearest out there are all former skydiving fools (retired) I'm getting sucked into the idea of the AFF course, full way throughto level 9 (i think)

looks like it can be done in two weeks ish weather permiting

Anyone cracked an AFF in sunnier climes and got any advice.

PS

I'm 107 kg, seems that alot of sites are talking about a 100kg limit?

Latest Threads