• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Skydiver to jump from edge of space in record bid

The RAF must be hopping mad, just as the presenter talks about RAF fighter pilots and the pressure chamber the cameraman zooms in on the crab blue jumper to reveal (00:43 and 00:50) ....

BBC News - Skydiver to jump from edge of space in record bid

AAC wings! I bet the RAF PR machine office's phones must have been red hot after seeing this on the breakfast news, I noticed that the piece shown for the rest of the day has been edited to remove that particular shot.

Love it. :-D

C

cloudbuster

Spotted that this morning, and had a wry chuckle. Oddly, the AFB-issue hasn't made it to PPRuNe.

Yet.

^ and if there's a problem with his canopy, those last few seconds could be really exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so I should probably be working....

The hat cunt. He should try lobbing out of a Hercules at 800ft carrying nearly 200lb of kit, equipment and parachutes, with 80 odd other cunts trying to get out at the same time. I might even try it myself one day if an aircraft is available!

In fact, I don't think I will. It's shit.

The hat cunt. He should try lobbing out of a Hercules at 800ft carrying nearly 200lb of kit, equipment and parachutes, with 80 odd other cunts trying to get out at the same time. I might even try it myself one day if an aircraft is available!

In fact, I don't think I will. It's shit.
Try that? Don't be daft thats why we have soldiers with those nice purple hats , so we don't have to do that. Much better to go to war on a sleek grey war canoe with adequate sunbathing deck space.

Regarding the chap jumping from the edge of space, where's he planning to land? He'd make a fooking big splash if he lands in the oggin

This gent is one of a pair who is vying to break Joe Kittinger's record. Joe, by the way, 'recovered' from his descent and went on to fly several fast jet missions in Vietnam. He was eventually shot down and spent 11 months in the Hanoi Hilton.
Felix Baumgartner is an experienced sky diver, whereas Joe wasn't. That should eliminate many of the problems that Joe encountered. Joe also had a drogue parachute deployed in an effort to stabilise his descent in a feet to earth position as opposed to the classic 'frog' posture ( arms and legs spread in a face to earth position) adopted by sport jumpers.

UK military toyed with the 'stabilised fall' parachute which was quite a cumberson, weighty affair. A judgement was to be made to offset the length of training time was necessary to produce a competent military free-faller then determined to be 6 weeks, against a 'hook up and exit' stabilised fall means of insertion. The stabilised fall technique was shelved in the early '70's ( thank fuck) One of the RAF PJI's was killed during the trials of this system.

Charles 'Nish' Bruce, former UK military and a top class sport parachutist, was playing around with breaking the same record in a similar manner to Baumgartner's before his sad and early demise. As I recall there was an AAC pilot Major Tim #### who had similar intentions to begin with, then went off to NASA with other intentions.

I wish Felix all the very best with his project. Joe's record has stood since 1960.

When Andy Elson and Colin Prescot attempted to reach 132,000 feet in a balloon they both had parachutes fitted in case of some sort of cock up. I spent some time with them as the major sponsors wanted to record the whole process from start to finish. The platform set up looked a bit dodgy to me and there were various technical SNAFUS along the way. Should they have had to bail out it would have been a hell of a jump.

Sadly the attempt ended when the balloon's canopy caught on a bit of the vessel it was launching from - the tear was deemed to be irreparable.
After this final balls up the attempt was abandoned.

The sponsors and backers of this flawed adventure: QinetiQ (ex-DERA)

Latest Threads