Sky TV Rip Off

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by Count.Dracule, Aug 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly i apologise for posting here as I could not find anywhere suitable, and the NAAFI on a Fri would be a nightmare, so please move if needed.

Got a letter through the post from sky, stating as we have not connected our TV (after a couple of reminders) to a telephone socket then we will incur £14.25 extra a month on top of the normal bill.

IN a nut shell I told them to feck off, as the TV is on the other side of the room to the phone socket and has been for the last 3 years, with no dramas from sky before!

So the advice I am after is what/who should I go for now that i have told sky SNLR'd.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
  2. Double phone socket and an extension cable. B&Q. It's not ******* rocket science.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. u r a chomper, stop wasting oxygen!
  4. This may sound stupid but why would anybody want to connect a television to a telephone socket? Just looked at my televisions and there is nowhere on any of them to connect a telephone cable!!! Also how do you make telephone calls using a television?
  5. Tell them it's affecting your internet connection, or some such bollocks. If they refuse to see sense, helpfully suggest that it might be easier to simply cancel your contract with them, and I bet they'll stop nagging.
  6. I bet your home PC is a Commodore Vic 20.
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC it's for the box to update if you plug into the wall you can also order films etc off the PPV bit
    I 'm not sure it happens with HD though as I've not plugged mine in since I had it and it updates itself merrily anyway

Easiest way to solve it ring Sky infrom them your jacking and of to BT or Virgin as your not paying these charges
    Presto hey the dissapear more often than not

P.S. don't for the love of God go to B.T. Vision after a month you'll be begging Sky to reconnect you
  8. Count,
    Do you have sky multiroom and as I read on their T&C's that you had to keep the Sky box connected to phone socket (dunno why though)
    I have sky and have never ever had my sky box(HD) connected to the phone line, i couldn't be arsed to get an extension socket.
    That probably didnt help, I personally would tell Sky to do one, they will soon back off, they seem to be losing lots of customers atm !!

Kind regards

R M
  9. Quite!

But as i am a tight twat that is not an option, considering it never bothered sky before (3 Yrs)!

Please re-read para 4!

10. Yes mate it is multi room and as stated in my OP was fine for 3 years, the chap I spoke to at sky was quite arrogant about it, so i shot from the hip and told him to poke it!
  11. Pot Kettle!
  12. 1st bold, tried that and they said crack on..ta ta!
    2nd bold, duly considered so looks like virgin!
  13. I've had Sky for nearly ten years and only rarely has the phone line been connected to the socket, it's never been connected in my present house where I've been for three years. I've never experienced any issues with the services I use and the software seemed to update through the sat link previously. I wonder if I'll be in receipt of a similar letter soon?
  14. Do you have multi room?

Seems this is what initiated the whole thing.
  15. Mines not been connected for `12 months, the dog ate the cable, not had any letters.