SKY Plus/ HD in BFG

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by armr617, Jul 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok, so I want to get Sky plus or HD.
    I already have a sky contract, had it for years registered at the parents.

rang sky to enquire about changing to sky +, dont need their install or box, just the card switching on.
    They made a big thing about phone line being connected, which is obviously a no no.

So my question is,
    how do I get around this, there must be someone out there who has done it, without having it in UK first

2. I have had sky + for a while now, when i rang up to enquire about changing it very much depends on the person you get on the other end.
    I had to ring back 2 or 3 times before i got someone to do it.

One way to do it is to say that you only have a mobile number or only an IP telephone an u havent actually got a telephone land line.

When you get through do not ask for the multi room package. There is no way round this and you must have the tel line connected for this.

Tell them u installed the sky box yourself and you do not need an engineer to do it for you.

The biggest problem, is getting the right person on the phone at the other end.

3. Think of it like ringing mil direct enquiries 192, sometimes they can find the number you are looking for or sometimes you get a nugget who doesnt understand abbreviations etc. and is completely bone so you use the better option of just asking for the number for the guardroom as is easier to ask them for the extension you need.

It is always the same whenever you ring customer services for any company.Like Robin says just depends on whether you are lucky to be speaking to someone who has more intelligence than a carrot on the other end of the phone.

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

You can get a no phoneline install for around £25 one off.Not sure for sky+/hd tho.

5. Hmm doesnt seem to be a guaranteed system in place then, might try the bloke in 6th sense

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

armr617,
    I now work for Sky,
    I'll dig around when I'm in the office tommorrow,
    Regards,
    Spike
    PS,
    Have you looked on www.skyuser.co.uk (or com,not sure)

7. Been on that sky site, thanks for the link, seems its only the first time you use the box they look for an activation signal, and there also seems to be some kind of phone disconnection fee that you can pay

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The phoneline is for a 'monthly' callback that the box does to download movie purchases,check the status of the box ect.In multi-room it's used to check that both boxes are in the same house & not one in yours & the other in your mom's three streets away.
    The no phoneline install fee of £25 offsets the subsidy for the box provided by British Interactive Services.
    Did'nt get around to checking today as I was stuck in meetings.I'll check tommorow,
    Spike

9. I'm one of Sky's senior subcontract engineers and there may be a way around this, but you'd be best to PM me. I'm not putting it up on line.

Even if you've got yourself a Sky+ STB from ebay, you still need to run a second feed from your Satellite dish, to your Sky+ STB and for that, you need a Universal QLNB (Quadruple Low Noise Block)

Like I say, PM me and I'll talk you through everything.

However, the short answer is that in BFG, Sky+ and Sky HD is a No.

All new accounts are activated via the telephone line to the viewing card's registered address. (In this case your address in the UK) Within 24 hours of the card-pairing being done, Sky will trigger the box to call back again to check it is where you say it is.

Which of course it won't be.

The bottom line is basically, you'll have to have the Sky+ installed in the UK and left her for the cooling off period of one month or so, then take it to Germany, adapt your dish to a QLNB, run the second feed and then away you go.

PM me for more details and don't spend a fortune on the stuff. I'll mail you any ancilleries you need to a BFPO at cost price.