SKY Now - Retired VSO's filmed claiming able to secure contracts

The story stated that 'retired' military officers claimed they could 'influence' these contracts.

Unless they're talking about bribing people on the inside, I imagine it's quite common for retired officers to consult on the subjects they're most knowledgeable about.

Non story?

The SKY news ticker uses the term 'secure', so I'll have to go with that until such time as I can get a copy of the times.

Has anything bar the fresh air carriers been bought in the last decade that wasn't a UOR?

Pretty standard - and entirely proper - for the defence primes to get retired 2* and upwards on board, not just for access, but also for advice. The procurement process, even for UORs, is so locked down that it'd be bloody hard to exert improper influence - and, I'd judge, impossible to get away with it, someone would inevitably drop the bubble on you if you did succeed in doing so. Something of a non-story, I reckon.

I would imagine that quite a few senior people are hoping it's a "non-story"...........

How else could you explain some of the dross that's been bought/issued over the years.
Like the 'Wildcat' helicopter that needs to be crewed by primordial dwarfs!!

'Oh, that's what we need, a helicopter designed and built to support ships and give it to the Army to lift troops!...did I say troops? I meant 'a troop!'

I'd be impressed if true. At best a retired VSO brings some contacts and an understanding of how the system works which is current for maybe 12-18 months until the next restructure.
I've never seen any evidence that any retired officer is able to influence the system in the slightest.

I'd be impressed if true. At best a retired VSO brings some contacts and an understanding of how the system works which is current for maybe 12-18 months until the next restructure.
I've never seen any evidence that any retired officer is able to influence the system in the slightest.
Westlands...

I was hoping you would have some comments on this jim30...sometimes hard to separate what people actually have influence over as opposed to what they BOAST about having influence over, in the hope some mug will give them money/favours/holidays. Still not right, but obviously not in the same league!

I was hoping you would have some comments on this jim30...sometimes hard to separate what people actually have influence over as opposed to what they BOAST about having influence over, in the hope some mug will give them money/favours/holidays. Still not right, but obviously not in the same league!
What the **** are you babbling about? What's not right? Influencing buyers is called sales and marketing, and it's an essential part of legitimate business.

As for holidays and favours, I think you'll find consultants are normally paid by cheque or bank transfer, having first issued an invoice.

One hopes that it does indeed prove to be a non story. But whether a retired senior officer can genuinely influence procurement decisions is not the only issue.

Senior officers and civil servants have to get permission for accepting any business appointment, including part-time appointments, within two years of retirement. This does not mean that they are forbidden from accepting appointments; they just have to get permission. And there is surely nothing wrong with discussing a possible appointment before applying for it.

I haven't seen the Sunday Times yet but for all I know. one possible scenario is that somebody has not actually broken the rules but has spoken as if they had a cavalier attitude towards the rules. If so (and this is sheer speculation), is that a million miles away from what happened to Mr Hoon in the "cash for access" scandal?

What the **** are you babbling about? What's not right? Influencing buyers is called sales and marketing, and it's an essential part of legitimate business.

As for holidays and favours, I think you'll find consultants are normally paid by cheque or bank transfer, having first issued an invoice.
Consultants maybe paid after invoicing but those that can influence contracts from within get paid in other ways. Remember the old PSA. "Dawn and Sunrise" ring any bells?
From the bloke who buys the bog roll upwards some one is on the take. No system is robust enough to stop it when people can see others are up to it they want a bit as well.

Calm down, dear, he didn't say it wasn't.

He was pointing out that some people 'big themselves up' to potential employers of their services, and that therefore when some retired General says he can influence the buying process - whether properly or improperly - he might be telling big fibs.

Trevor Soar was mentioned on telly last night as having said words to the effect that the rules that should prevent his ilk from lobbying for a two-year period are not enforceable, and that he would simply ignore them.