Sky news: Grieving mother of Cpl Paul Muirhead talks...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by eveyoz, Sep 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1233393,00.html

A grieving mother has told Sky News how she flew out to the Middle East to cradle her dying soldier son.

Violet Claydon went to Oman after Lance Corporal Paul Muirhead was gunned down by Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan last week.

He had been transferred for treatment to the Middle East state but doctors could not save him - and he died as his mother watched over him.

"He would not have harmed anyone - how could they have harmed him?" she asked.

L/Cpl Muirhead, 29, was one of three British soldiers killed in last Friday's attack in Helmand province.

Ms Claydon's interview with Sky came on the day UN chiefs called for 2,000 more NATO soldiers to be deployed to the country, and as 16 people were killed in a car bombing in Kabul.

L/Cpl Paul Muirhead The mother said she held her son's hand as he died. "It was just lovely," she said.

"It was horrible to see him like it but it was just lovely to be able to sit with him and just talk to him and just tell him that everyone loved him and wanted him to come home."

L/Cpl Muirhead, of the 1st Battalion Royal, Irish Regiment, from Bearley, Warwickshire, died from his injuries.

"I told him how proud I was of him. We are just so sorry to him go. He was a lovely person. He loved his regiment. He loved his friends."

L/Cpl Muirhead had served in the invasion of Iraq, in Northern Ireland and again in Iraq before being posted to Afghanistan.

Ranger Anare Draiva, also of 1 Royal Irish Regiment, also died in the same incident.

In a separate incident, two British soldiers were killed in the same province this week after driving into a minefield.

Very touching piece, RIP mate and strength to your family.

2. RIP mate, rest easy

3. Stand down mate Job done RIP

4. 1 RIR are doing a marvelous job.....

... to it's 2 lost sons.... RIP boys...

5. Stand down mate - god bless

6. RIP mate

FAB!

7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

As part of the 12 Regt RA family dealing with our own grief, can I extend my condolences to the family and the RIR.

RIP.

8. RIP, our thoughts are with his mother and family.

9. Article has been picked up by ITV and is running now. Very powerful.

RIP

Litotes

10. faugh a ballagh

11. Deepest respect RIP

12. Saw the interview, Very touching. RIP Fella.

LT

13. Faugh a Ballagh

Quis Separabit

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

RIP Young Sir.
    Even tho I did'nt see the interview,reading the above post by eveyuk bought a tear of sadness to the eye.
    faugh a ballagh