Sky Marshals

G

goneandgone

So it's happening...
"Air marshals will be deployed where appropriate," said a joint statement from the Transport Department and the Home Office.
Interesting work with training included for some switched on lads then....

Careful, this is Blondedicks thread. She'll have a friend of a mate, who's knew someone's husband who nearly became a sky marshall, so she is fairly clued up on policing the skys.

lololol do they get a bonus for not flying 757s into sky scrapers :D

Interesting work with training included for some switched on lads then....
.... but I seem to remember reading somewhere today that the skymarshalls are policemen. (or is that policeperson these days?)

Gunny Highway said:
I think she means her SF pals (the mannequins in her living room).
Whom are authorities on PTSD and counter terrorism :D

and of course the whole thing is in response to action in the motherland again!! (USA)

The Government have announced that armed sky marshals are to be deployed on some UK passenger planes in response to the heightened state of alert in the US.

Extra security measures for air travel have also been put in place on the ground following the raised terror threat.

The Government said it was "a responsible and prudent step" at the present time.

The sky marshals would be deployed "where appropriate" and be dressed as ordinary passengers.

However, a spokesman for the British Airline Pilots Association condemned the move, adding: "Our view has always been that putting sky marshals on planes is the worst thing you can do.

"We don't want guns on planes, it's dangerous to have guns on planes and there are other things you can do like investing in security measures on the ground."

Transport secretary Alistair Darling said: "Security is kept constantly under review and it is essential that we take all reasonable steps to deter terrorist activities.

"Our aviation security programme works on many levels, with measures for all stages of the process - from check-in through to the flight itself. Not all of the measures are obvious and a lot goes on behind the scenes".
http://www.ntlworld.com/partners/itn/britain/1100230.php

Seems like a nice job if you can do it, sitting first class and all. Air Marshall were in use strait after 9/11 in airlines such as United, but they sat in economy... bit stupid as all the 9/11 terrorists were in first and business class.

I think she means her SF pals (the mannequins in her living room).
Interestingly enough, the Sunday Mirror (I know, I know, but I only read it on the 'net to keep abreast of what the lads are reading) had this article in it today:

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/...6694_headline=-WHO-SURFS--WINS-name_page.html

Which included:

The Army's top secret Special Forces are advertising job vacancies on the internet.
as well as:

The SAS's sister unit, the Special Boat Service, based in Poole, Dorset, insists on "previous military experience". But the Hereford-based SAS says it will consider civilian as well as military applicants.
So civvies can join!

Off you go then Blondie.

G

goneandgone

Oracle said:
Interestingly enough, the Sunday Mirror (I know, I know, but I only read it on the 'net to keep abreast of what the lads are reading) had this article in it today:
http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/...6694_headline=-WHO-SURFS--WINS-name_page.html

Which included:
The Army's top secret Special Forces are advertising job vacancies on the internet.
as well as:
The SAS's sister unit, the Special Boat Service, based in Poole, Dorset, insists on "previous military experience". But the Hereford-based SAS says it will consider civilian as well as military applicants.
So civvies can join!
Off you go then Blondie.
Boss I didn't say a word honest! 8) :wink:

And what's wrong with advertising anyway, even for the Regular SF types within forces publications?

They've still got to pass the course!

Personally, I think I'll stick to the bar.

Given the standard of some coppers and the SO 19 punters I would be quite concerned about gvinig them firearms, letting them shout yeehah and taking on a load of armed terrorists on an airliner.

Or are they going to give the job to all the soldiers they're about to cut out of the Army to make us more flexible and manoeuverable (of course we will be there'll just be less people to move about!)

G

goneandgone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3354577.stm

The British airline pilots' union is demanding talks with ministers
on plans to put undercover armed marshals on flights this week. News
that marshals are being deployed pre-empted a US demand that foreign
planes carry "a law enforcement officer" at certain times.

UK ministers say their move is a "responsible and prudent" response
to the heightened terror alert in the US.

But the pilots' union says staff might refuse if guns are allowed on
planes.

Jim McAuslan, general secretary of the British Airline Pilots
Association (Balpa), said the union would be recommending that
pilots stop flying unless certain conditions were met on the use of
marshals.

"For a start we don't believe that guns and air travel mix," he said.

Following the Dawson's field and other attacks in the 1970's the army did provide some sky marshals, society had different views on such things.

Some would say that a sky marshall's job would be " to close with and neutralise the enemy". The current police-led response shows that we are now about upholding the rule of law.

We can now rest assured that all terrorists on UK flights will be challenged first in accordance with ACPO guidelines, surviving victims will be promptly directed to appropriate victim support agencies, and families of the deceased will be assigned "Family Liaison Officers". The Police's extensive experience of media handling makes them a strong contender for this work.

Lets be quite clear that:
1. Police are leading this because thats what Dubbya says we should do.
2. UK Defence, SF in particular, can not take any more committments.

Personally I'd be happier if it was someone Commaccio or COP trained, as opposes to "cop" trained.

Who ever gets the job, will still be the only one in first class wearing trail boots, jeans, check shirt and a fleece!!

Nah, they will have to comply with the dress code for covert reasons. Saying that when i fly business ( :D Family in United Airlines ) quite a lot of people wear jeans and shirts, if you pay the money you can wear what you want!