Sky installation engineers? Help!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by devilish, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I currently have Sky plumbed into my house via 1 coax and one box. I have another sky box with it's own card and wish to connect it to my current coax.

Here's where I need help. I've tried introducing a coax splitter/antenna splitter(no laughing at the back) and it seems to work fine with one box but when I try to wire the other box to it I get a "No Signal detected" message on both TV's/boxes.

1. Can it be done like this?(I've been told it can).
    2. If it can be done like this, where am I going wrong?

I've been told that it cannot be done with cable tv as the strength of the signal coming in from the street is determined by the box, ie:- the box is set to recieve a certain 'gain' and it will not work if the 'gain' is split. Is it the same with Sky?

Help much appreciated.
  2. Is it just a loading issue?

ie you need to make the signal think that it is feeding one system rather than 2? Similar to the problems when you put several monitors on one feed and just have to set one to the 75 ohm setting.

If so is there a component you can get hold of to make it 'look' the way it should? Have a look on the Maplins website and see if you get any hits.

There are also plenty of AV and satellite forums out there that will probably have members who can answer this one off the top of their heads.
  3. Best thing to do is to get a double LNB (the thing on the end of the arm that looks at the dish) and take two coaxes out of this, one for each box. That should work.
  4. I would do that as it is the most obvious but problem is my dish is 70ft up my chimney, no fecking way I'm going on a roof that height without a chute! :D

Cheers anyhoo adj.

murielson- I've searched for ever and a day for advice on it, none forthcoming. I'll keep at it though. Thanks.
  5. Will look at home and try and get you a link if I can.

I was going to suggest same as Adjt but thought you were talking about cable from the street rather than from a dish. Lot's of LNBs on ebay.

Editted to add: Have you tried to get a quote for someone with a big ladder to fit LNB for you?
  6. It cant be done.
    If you have another box and card i assume you are paying 2 subscriptions. If not let me know how youve managed to avoid paying.
    why not upgrade to sky+ with multiroom. multiroom is only £10 a month extra
  7. Second box came from a skip. I've disconnected my current box and tried the other one and it works fine, no sports channels though which is a bit of a bugger but I'll survive.

I'm trying to do it for free or I would just upgrade to sky+ and multi room but I've got a spare box and want to do it without giving sky £120 a year for nothing. :D
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Your problem is that the connector introduces a loss which by the sounds of it doesn't leave enough power for both boxes. You need an amplifier, maplins should have something suitable.
  9. not as simple as that, im not too clued up with digital but on the old analogue systems you had horizontal and vertical channels. even if you do get both boxes working then you will not be able to use them correctly with a single lnb.

like i said this was for analogue but im sure its similar
  10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

xou need a puad lnb.whenever xou watch a channel,the lnb 'tunes' to that wont work any other way.(i'm a ex sky engineer)
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

There you go, from the horses mouth so to speak. :)
  12. my skyHD box is in Uk promise...
  13. Looks like I'm going climbing with a double LNB then.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
  14. Get a quad L.N.B. then you can have sky HD in the front room and another box or boxes in the bedroom.Sky HD needs two feeds. Drawls, it's just my job.