Sky Broadband

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Judge_John, Jul 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was recently looking at this deal Sky Broadband are doing. So I called up to get simple answer to a query.

Do sky use Internet Explorer or use their own operating system like AOL.

They cannot answer me that!!!!

How very un-impressed I am. :cry:

2. I also called Sky broadband to query to £40 connection charge if you go for the free option, IE, no monthly charge, when the connection is free if you agree to subscribe to one of the more expensive packages.

The call centre chappy with the asian accent who struggled to understand my Midlands drawl was next to no use at all and in the end I actually told him he'd been of no use, gave up and put the phone down....

In the end I went to Sky's webpage and registered an interest in the new broadband, once it's introduced, and I'll negotiate the connection charge then....

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Guys,
    I start a new job with Sky Broadband on Monday as a technical advisor.I dont know much about it at the moment but I'll try & find out for you.At the moment,not many know too muh about it.
    Spike

4. Well, I can answer your question for you, as well as a technical correction ;).

What your referring to is an Internet Browser, not an Operating System. Browsers are things like Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, or even that vile excuse AOL use as an excuse for one. Where as an Operating System is Windows XP, Ubuntu (Linux) etc.

Now, the AOL browser (shudder) is merely one in a long list of possible browsers, and you don’t have to use it if you use AOL as your ISP. Internet Explorer comes as standard with Windows (although it wont for long if the EU Commission gets its bloody way :x). Or you can download Firefox from www.firefox.org.uk .

A browser just needs an internet connection to work, doesn’t matter what sort of connection. Just as no connection will only work with certain browsers.

So in short you can use IE with Sky broadband, as well as with AOL.

EDIT: And as an aside its recommended against using AOL or any other ISP's proprietary browsers, simply because as a rule of thumb there badly coded and so don’t follow 'internet standards' as IE or Firefox do, so a lot of pages aren’t displayed correctly.

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You're accusing MS of not coding Internet Exploiter badly?!?!?

In our multinational IT megacorporation it is usual to use Firefox or any other browser that tickles the individual's fancy other than Exploiter, then when a site doesn't display correctly, slamming the website designer for coding the website to fit Exploiter instead of accepted coding standards.

I keep Exploiter avalable only for those occasions when a website won't run properly in Firefox (which has an Add-on to allow you to open a link in Exploiter if it won't work in Firefox).

(Pleased to report that ARRSE has never failed me on Firefox).

If people don't complain about poor coding standards, nothing will change and the MS monopoly will never break. It is very easy to detect at the server end what browser is interrogating the website (and some sites display it, along with the user's operating system) for all to see.

Unless website owners know that people want to see good coding practices and allow Firefox etc to display web pages, they will continue to churn out poorly-designed IE-oriented web pages.

Rant over. For sale, soap-box, one agitated owner.

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just seen the advert & at the bottom of it it says "Sky B/Band only available to active Sky tv Subscribers"

7. See, I would have taken the time to formulate a thoughout reply with productive counterpoints, but then you decided to call IE 'Exploiter'. Really I'm suprised you didn't resort to calling Microsoft M$.

I bet all your friends think your real |33t dont they? :wink:

8. I have both Sky Tv and Sky talk so I thought, Hey why not get broadband too?? After ringing the number given to register and being told to ring another number which was answered by an Asian Gentlemen too, was then told to ring another telephone number after the weekend because it wasnt up and running yet.
    I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face Im staying with my usual broadband company!!!!

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The Sky B/Band callcenter in here in Belfast & so far is'nt up & running as yet.The company looking after the callcenter is recruiting over 200 people over the summer.
    Spike