Sky broadband and 4G

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by PrinceAlbert, Mar 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just partially read a letter stating that I'm being moved over from O2 broadband to Sky, and some 4G malarky.

I'd love to read up on it yadda yadda yadda, but I've had a skinfull.

Can someone summarise it for me?

Yes I know it's the NAAFI. No, I won't Kromeriz myself. I don't have a wife to show cheb photos of, and you're all welcome a go on my sisters (again).

Cheers

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I got that today as well - change to plusnet maybe as someone said bt are behind it like the old o2 kit.

3. Actually, that's good to know.

4. That almost makes a proper sentence ;)

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Since O2 are basically selling off their business and we customers with them do we noe have the right o cancel our contracts and go somewhere else? I want nithing to do with Sky.

6. Grumblegrunt

yep - me too regards sky. you'll get the usual fcukaround over release dates and the moving code thingy. not sure if the likes of broadband choices makes it any easier as they are claiming with that awful tv advert. they claim it can take two weeks with no service and you have to pay a month over but when I switched from aol to o2 it was same day. I lost 2hrs I think.

o2 have been really good considering.

7. Are you a Knight who says "ni"?

8. Grumblegrunt

in bed so typing in the dark, cant work out the buttons most of the time :)

9. With Schaden apparently :)

10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I wondered why my feet smelt of lanolin....

11. It's not your feet you want to worry about......

i wouldn't use Sky for anything, ever. As already stated Plustnet is the way forwards.

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I found out last week,maybe that's why O2 were so keen to give me (and loads of others) a years free broadband & £50 mobile credit for renewing with them.
    What I gather is you'll still pay O2 for your phone & broadband but you'll get your services provided by Sky in the same way as Tesco's is provided by Virgin & Orange by BT.
    However if that's the case,I'm hoping Sky don't move us over onto 21c WBC kit as then we are all fucked!!!...I worked on the project when Orange moved their LLU customers over to 21c,it was a fucking nightmare!!

13. Grumblegrunt

I thought sky needed the o2 bandwidth as theirs is full and they are getting thousands of complaints.

I spent a few hours looking and I cant beat my O2 bill of £6.45 for unlimited broadband whatever speed and free wifi etc..

14. I've been shopping around various b/band providers lately. The biggest thing I learned was wherever possible have nothing to do with BT, they have been utterly inept for me (long story I won't bore with).

Unfortunately as far as I can tell just about all providers of standard ADSL connections are simply re-branding BT's products and using their kit at the exchange via BT Wholesale.

The exchange I get my connection from is not 21CN enabled, but I have managed to find a provider (appears to be the only one) offering LLU service so signed up with them. I'm far to much of a technotard to understand the technicalities of it but so far (fingers crossed, it's only been a month) the service has been massively better than anything I've been able to get before.

15. Grumblegrunt

well the llu at my exchange are aol, o2/be, sky/easynet and talk talk.

aol is 7.10 a month I had issues with aol dropping out on us but we have found a rotten wire outside since then. I did get fed up calling india all the time, at least O2 was local help (ireland)

their free routers are a sack of shit as well. same rubbish talk talk give away which isn't a network hub. not that the O2 thompson routers are world class but they do the job.