Sky box broken

CQMS

LE
My Sky + box is unresponsive, I've tried the power up with backup pressed and with the left and right buttons pressed but nothing.

Before I heave the useless pile of scrap into a skip can anyone suggest a way of fixing it.

Do you still have the packaging it came in?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
You may find that the internals have got physically stuck. This has been known to happen sometimes. What you need to do is give it a good whack with the palm of your hand (or if you're a wuss, a drop on the floor from about 1ft)

If this doesn't help you need to go larger. A 5Ib lump hammer would suffice.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
If it's over a year old, Sky Techies won't touch it as it's out of warranty. Mind, they'll send an engineer out at the cost of an arm and half a leg!

If its going to be expensive ring them up to close your account , this way you can always strike a deal on a new box , probably free , alternatively you could always get a new contract in the wife's name

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Unplug the thing and take the viewing card out, give the card a good wipe with a clean dry cloth. Leave for five minutes then insert card and power up!
Any luck?

For goodness sake turn the TV off and go for a good walk.

For goodness sake turn the TV off and go for a good walk.

I haven't had a TV for coming up 5 years now. I don't miss is at all. I stream what ever programmes I want to watch at my convenience.

E

EScotia

Sounds like it could be a failed upgrade. There's loads of info on the Sky blogs and you can get direct help from their technicians too, worth a look.

I haven't had a TV for coming up 5 years now. I don't miss is at all. I stream what ever programmes I want to watch at my convenience.
I have a bfo smart tv and do the same as you. But I also have viettel cable tv which amongs a couple of hundred channels of Viet stuff has 5 channels of films in English - some of the latest too.

But tbh I rarely watch it - thankfully it only costs about 5 quid a month for the cable tv and the girls love it. It prolly takes their minds off being shagged by an old fart.

power it off, remove viewing card, unplug everything from the back and leave for 10 minutes or so, plug everything back in and power it up insert viewing card and wait a couple of mins for it to get itself sorted out and all should be good again.

Any luck with it so far using other suggestions?

Edit- does it seem to be overheating? had something similar with mine the other day.

I'd consider doing that, but my broadband is rubbish. Our exchange has Virgin Cable, but only to the council estate end of the village. Pah!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sounds like it could be a failed upgrade. There's loads of info on the Sky blogs and you can get direct help from their technicians too, worth a look.
Not impossible. I got a call from Zero Alpha mid-afternoon Friday. I tried to walk her through the immediate actions over MSN but her Luddite setting overruled anything I wrote.

Got home some time later and set to the immediate actions. A lot of blood sweat and tears, a lot longer than "The Sky box has stopped" normally takes, but it did, after all my rebooting, just start a few minutes later and I reverted from built-in Freeview). Job jobbed.

Interestingly, over the weekend I had to restart the router a couple of times (never had to do that: in all the years I've been on Sky broadband, I only ever rebooted the old router about twice ever. Had this router since the summer when they offered upgrades so that Michael Caine could get wifi in his lighthouse. Remember the ad? It's been pretty good too. I only ever tend to reboot when nipper upstairs whinges that his wireless has dropped.)

Worse yet, yesterday I went to update the TomTom software and after two reboots and the PC refusing to believe that it and the TomTom were physically connected, and the Tomtom reporting this, eventually I had a look in the PC's properties for the TomTom which it reported disabled. Enabled it and up it came.

Not been a good few days for things not talking to each other.

E

EScotia

Check you have the latest software & driver on your Router if you have the facility to update it. I have the ASUS DSL-66U Router with Sky Broadband & Wireless white box thingy and occasionally have similar problems.

There's also been a software problem recently with Sky which seriously affected the New & Recommended facility on the Sky Box which they weren't aware of until a couple of people (me included) gave them hell over. Good for Sky they listened, investigated, asked us more questions and solved the problem, all through their web site.

Latest Threads