• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

skin problem

I would appreciate a bit of advice regarding a black 5year old Labrador,
this last couple of weeks he has been losing the hair on his back in the shape of a saddle,he,s not scratching or fretting in fact it doesn't seem to bother him, I,ve taken him to the vet and at the cost of 90 euros ffs she said it MIGHT be coming from his ears??
anyway **** that time to resort to tried and tested advice,
the dog goes swimming twice a day and has a good healthy lifestyle and diet, but this condition is unsightly,
can anyone recommend a good product? or anything.

Last edited:
@ordinaryforces

Best place to ask this is on the "Arrse Kennel Club " thread.

Arrse Kennel Club

Lots of dog owners are on there daily and some may have dealt with the same problem

Also a Anti allergy tablet 1x daily may help. You can get cheap from discount shops or supermarkets. The shop brand are the same as the big names. I currently pay £1.99 from my local Aldi. These tablets cover a multi of conditions.
Wishing your pooch and you a speedy recovery, try the Arrse Kennel page as previously stated plenty of advice on there
Cheers

this last couple of weeks he has been losing the hair on his back in the shape of a saddle,he,s not scratching or fretting in fact it doesn't seem to bother him, I,ve taken him to the vet and at the cost of 90 euros ffs she said it MIGHT be coming from his ears??
the dog goes swimming twice a day and has a good healthy lifestyle and diet, but this condition is unsightly,

this last couple of weeks he has been losing the hair on his back in the shape of a saddle,he,s not scratching or fretting in fact it doe,s not seem to bother him, I,ve taken him to the vet and at the cost of 90 euros ffs she said it MIGHT be coming from his ears??
Did the vet check his ears or mention malassezia dermatitis? I only ask because she mentioned it might be coming from his ears, plus you say that he swims twice a day and damp skin can increase the likelihood of it developing.

Did the vet take a skin scraping for testing?

Malassezia is a normal yeast found on their skin, particuarly in the ears (hairless skin in a warm, dark and humid environment) but if it gets out of control it'll spread over the body. It's treated with human shampoo containing selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue, or Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength), followed by one containing ketoconazole (Nizoral) which you leave on for ten minutes. Repeat every 3-5 days for 2-12 weeks.

If he's got ear mites, I'd expect the inside of his ears to be irritated with black looking 'wax', whereas a malassezia yeast infection looks like yellowy wax in the folded bits near the ear canal.

Malassezia:

Ear mites:

ugly

LE
If the mites have caused the fur to go try Camrosa treatment. Its messy but it works.

Thornit powder.

Works very well for ear mites, which migrate to other body parts, especially between toes on rear feet because they scratch lug holes!