Skin disorders and joining up

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by theoriginalphantom, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There are many threads by potential recruits on skin disorders, this post is mostly a copy of JSP 346. (some footnotes missing, but will be edited in later)

Things to note.
    The grading of 'P8' basically means 'unfit for any form of military service', the full explanation of medical grading will be coming to a thread near you soon.
    P2 is fully fit.

[align=center]CHAPTER 3: THE INFLUENCE OF PARTICULAR CONDITIONS
    ON PULHHEEMS ASSESSMENT FOR ENTRY
    Leaflet 10: SKIN DISEASES
    [/align]

General
    3.10.1. When assessing a candidate’s fitness for entry, the potential for ilitary service to either cause or aggravate existing skin disease must be valuated. Chronic skin disease may require frequent and extensive periods of treatment during which the individual would not be fit for unrestricted service. Consideration should be given to skin disease interfering with the wearing of any military equipment. Further restrictions may be dependent on the individual’s intended service or trade, in which case guidelines are available in single-service publications or opinion should be sought from the single Service occupational physician responsible for the selection of recruits.

Acne
    3.10.2. Candidates with severe acne or involvement of the face, neck, shoulders, chest or back such that it would interfere with wearing military clothing or equipment should normally be graded P8, or entry should be deferred until the disease has been successfully treated. Candidates under treatment with Isotretinoin may be graded P2 eight weeks after completing successful treatment by which time most adverse effects have settled.

Dermatitis
    3.10.3. Active dermatitis is incompatible with Service life. Therefore, candidates with active atopic or contact dermatitis should normally be graded P8.

3.10.4. Atopic dermatitis.
    Conditions diagnosed as eczema should also be included in this category. A history of atopic dermatitis is considered to increase the likelihood of irritant contact dermatitis on exposure to irritants (such as oils, greases, detergents) but usually only if the condition was severe in childhood and particularly if it involved the hands. Candidates with a history of atopic dermatitis within the last 3 years should normally be graded P8. For candidates who have been symptom free for over 3 years, the presence of the following risk factors should be considered:

a. Functional impairment.
    b. Dermatitis of the hand(s).
    c. Secondary care involvement.

If none of the above factors are present, the candidate may be graded P2. If any of the above is present, the candidate should be referred to the single Service consultant occupational physician responsible for recruit selection for more detailed consideration.

3.10.5. Irritant Contact Dermatitis.
    All service personnel may be called upon to operate in environments where exposure to irritants cannot always be adequately controlled. Therefore, candidates with a confirmed history of irritant contact dermatitis should normally be graded P8. Consultation with the single Service consultant occupational physician responsible for recruit selection is recommended to determine the appropriate P grade which will depend upon the intended employment (if known).

Psoriasis
    3.10.6. Candidates with active psoriasis should normally be graded P8. However, if the extent of the disease is and has always been, mild and it does not interfere with the wearing of military clothing or equipment, candidates may be graded P2. In cases where the extent of the disease has been greater, candidates may be graded P2 provided they have remained free from symptoms whilst off all treatment for 5 years. They should only have ever required treatment with emollients, vitamin D and analogues, or weak steroids.

3.10.7. Guttate psoriasis.
    Candidates with a history of guttate psoriasis which has fully resolved may be graded P2.

Other Skin Diseases
    3.10.8. Cysts, scars and keloids.
    If the size or location of cysts, scars or keloids (from whatever cause) interferes with the wearing of military clothing or equipment candidates are normally be graded P8.

3.10.9. Bullous Dermatoses.
    Candidates with diseases such as dermatitis herpatiformis, pemphigus and epidermolysis bullosa are normally graded P8.

3.10.10. Fungal Infections.
    Candidates with extensive recurrent or recalcitrant fungal disease not amenable to treatment are normally graded P8.

3.10.11. Lichen Planus.
    Candidates with generalised disease that is not responsive to treatment are normally graded P8.

3.10.12. Hyperhidrosis.
    Candidates with severe disease affecting function are normally graded P8.
    3.10.13. Malignant melanoma. All candidates with a past history of malignant melanoma will require formal referral for a dermatology opinion of the prognosis. A decision on medical fitness for entry will then be made by the single Service occupational physician responsible for the selection of recruits.

3.10.14. Photosensitivity.
    Candidates with any condition sensitive to or aggravated by exposure to sunlight not adequately controlled by sunscreens, are normally graded P8.

3.10.15. Scleroderma.
    Refer to chapter 3 leaflet 12, Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders.

3.10.16. Urticaria and Angio-oedema.
    Candidates who have a history of urticaria with a systemic reaction or have required treatment in excess of simple antihistamines should normally be graded P8. Otherwise, candidates may be graded P2 but if doubt exists, or there have been repeated and/or chronic episodes of acute urticaria, candidates should be assessed by single Service occupational physician responsible for the selection of recruits.

2. where did you find this?

3. .......at a guess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. i meant like a website or something maybe with more regs and stuff on

5. if it was on a web site I'd just post a link and not spend ages copying it

edited to add, the rest of JSP 346 will be following, but I have a life (sometimes)

6. Hi all,

I am very interested in joining the army once I graduate in the summer. I have the grades and required fitness to pass all the tests they will throw at me in selection.

I am however concerned with the medical, I asked the doctor for extra-strong deodorant for excessive sweating last year and this has gone down as having hyperhydrosis on my medical record.

I see on the medical form that hyperhydrosis does feature, however it only says that if more than 5% of the body is effected then a stress test will be implemented. Does anyone have any experience with this? How bad does the condition need to be? I have no issues with odour, infection or rashes, I just tend to sweat a lot from the face and under arms during exercise and occasionally when at rest.

Many Thanks,

Sweaty_badger

7. Hey there, i have a slight problem... I have had eczema when I was 10 years old but it cleared up and have not had it since... I am 21 now and obviously thats more than 3 years of not having eczema... I have completed my selection adsc pirbright about 4 months ago and my eczema has suddenly come back only confined to my left arm inside my elbow after completing selection, I have read the above about atopic dermatitis and im still fit I can still do all the things I could do before I.e. exercise. None is on my hands and I dont need to see any secondary care... my question is what the hell should I do? Should I call my CSM?

8. So aside from a slight flare up on your left inner arm, you have no functional impairment, no dermatitis of the hands and no secondary care involvement. Hmmm.

You could tell the chain of command about it, in which case they would almost certainly bin you, or you could follow normal prevention and care routines (for which see your GP, or even the internet) and hope for the best.

One worry is that flare ups may be stress related. That may mean it appears at times such as selection, or basic training, because you are under stress and worried about whether you will get through It may only manifest itself in places such as your elbows, which may mean that you get away with it. Or it may be more serious, in which case you may get picked up by the system.

It's up to you how you deal with it. My own cynical thought process would lead me to suspect that the further you get through the system, and the more money the system has spent in training you, the less likely it is that you will end up getting binned. But I have no inside knowledge and it is pure speculation on my part. Whichever path you choose, good luck in life - whether in the army or elsewhere.

9. Thanks for your thoughts on this, I appreciate it. I also forgot to mention they did take some blood from my left arm where it has flared up but was'nt sure if that was the cause of it because i've had blood taken before and nothing has happened like this. I am using bio-oil and it is looking better (just ever so slightly red skin, doesnt look severe and no itching either) but whether it goes away or not is a entirely different matter. Thanks again :)

10. Read what @theoriginalphantom said about 4000 years ago.

11. now take a look for jsp 950, it replaces JSP 346.

it's on this very site.

use the search function

or @jarrod248 will do terrible things to you

12. He's mellowed. I'm the stampy feet one now.

Don't.

13. people caught hiding a condition get binned on a regular basis, defect on enlistment. they are considered untrustworthy as well as being 'ill'

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Locked at OP's request due to the JSP in the original post now superseded.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.