Skin condition

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Recruit123, Nov 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there are certain medical conditions that can prevent a person from joining the army.
    Could someone tell me if psoriasis is one of them?
    I don’t really suffer from it that badly but every 4 or 5 years I get an outbreak that covers me from head to toe, will this go against my application to sandhurst?
    I’m really suffering from it at the moment but I haven’t gone to the doctor yet as I don’t want psoriasis to show up on my recent medical records if it’s going to prevent me from getting in.
    I know some might see it as a mark against my integrity if I try and hide this but I don’t want to let what I see as a petty skin condition stand between me and my dream job.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Apologies for posting this again, I originally posted this in the officers board and was advised to ask here.
  2. There are quite a few people serving who have this condition but it is dependent on the severity of it, each case is individually reviewed by the MO
  3. I really only suffer from it once every 4 or 5 years.
    You can’t really notice it on my face when it flares up but the rest of my body goes very spotty, and when I treat it with Dermovate it normally goes as quickly as it appeared.
    I’ve never noticed any clue as to what could trigger it, stress/diet/sleep depravation/alcohol/cigarettes, none of these seams to be the cause.

I’m in the TA at the moment, I don’t remember if I declared my psoriasis when I joined (it’s something that I forget about until it flares up) but the Army must have a record of my seeking treatment several years ago.

Do I sound like someone who is unsuitable for regular service?
  4. We had a guy on a course once with pretty bad psoriasis - i mean bad - so he was in and doing okay -
    had the pi~~ taken out of him all throughout though so so long as you can take some banter should be fine