Skill at Arms certificate...?

grunt34

Old-Salt
Not really a resettlement question, but as it's in connection with a civvy job application... Can anyone advise on how to get a copy of the course report or certificate for a Skill at Arms course? A job I'm applying for have 'weapons instructor' as desirable on the list of requirements, and I have no idea where the original has gone (I don't think the course photgraph will cut it, either).

Many thanks in advance.

Not really a resettlement question, but as it's in connection with a civvy job application... Can anyone advise on how to get a copy of the course report or certificate for a Skill at Arms course? A job I'm applying for have 'weapons instructor' as desirable on the list of requirements, and I have no idea where the original has gone (I don't think the course photgraph will cut it, either).

Many thanks in advance.
When you leave you get a certificate of service, as well as a print out of all the courses you did from JPA.

If you've lost that, you can phone Veterans UK and ask for another.

If you were Pre-JPA, I'm not sure if they will have uploaded the records, but you could do a Subject Access Request for all information held on you, and the resulting pack they send might have it in.

Could take some time, though.

When you leave you get a certificate of service, as well as a print out of all the courses you did from JPA.

If you've lost that, you can phone Veterans UK and ask for another.

If you were Pre-JPA, I'm not sure if they will have uploaded the records, but you could do a Subject Access Request for all information held on you, and the resulting pack they send might have it in.

Could take some time, though.
Wot he said. I left in the early days of JPA and several of my courses were missing from my certificate. I submitted a SAR and more or less got a negative response, that was 10 or so years ago though so I do hope it's improved since then.

grunt34

Old-Salt
Cheers chaps. It might be shown on my certificate of service, but that's at home and I'm in the Middle East. Time for the wife to start searching...thanks again

Point of interest: I called manning and records 11 years ago to get recent documented confirmation of service, courses, and what nots. They sent through a letter basically saying: Yeah, he woz in the Army.

I called to ask them why they had not included more information. The very nice lady on the other end told me that they had finally had the records come to rest in Glasgae after a couple of previous system changes and updates. During the preceding couple of moves records had been lost, abreviated and shaken around. If I had not presented them with my rank and trade they would not have been able to assign me a rank, or trade as much of what they hold on us older chaps has been reduced, by accident, loss, and default to basically army number and name.

I actually said to the nice lady, "so if I wanted to suddenly be a Colonel, or Brigadier no one would have a clue". She confirmed this and told me they had had incidences of people doing this reported to them. So anyone who served 15+ years ago can, if they are lucky, get away with having a CV that shows they were a submarine driving, special forces, harrier pilot, who attended the army school of catering, and did the not very often run, underwater knife fighting course.

Point of interest: I called manning and records 11 years ago to get recent documented confirmation of service, courses, and what nots. They sent through a letter basically saying: Yeah, he woz in the Army.

I called to ask them why they had not included more information. The very nice lady on the other end told me that they had finally had the records come to rest in Glasgae after a couple of previous system changes and updates. During the preceding couple of moves records had been lost, abreviated and shaken around. If I had not presented them with my rank and trade they would not have been able to assign me a rank, or trade as much of what they hold on us older chaps has been reduced, by accident, loss, and default to basically army number and name.

I actually said to the nice lady, "so if I wanted to suddenly be a Colonel, or Brigadier no one would have a clue". She confirmed this and told me they had had incidences of people doing this reported to them. So anyone who served 15+ years ago can, if they are lucky, get away with having a CV that shows they were a submarine driving, special forces, harrier pilot, who attended the army school of catering, and did the not very often run, underwater knife fighting course.
That sounds fantastic! Will this add to an existing pension? What does a Corporal Brigadier Admiral make?

That sounds fantastic! Will this add to an existing pension? What does a Corporal Brigadier Admiral make?

I shall let you know when The Right Hon. Cpl. Brig. Adm. for life Baron Short(t) responds to my email.

Latest Threads