Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skiing thread

Oyibo

LE
It's not so much whether stuff'll be open - it's more about travel corridors, restrictions in place, costs of travel and other possible increases in costs, will resorts, rental, etc... be trying to entice you to go or increase prices to recoup...

I think the hardest thing is possible quarantine restrictions - worst case scenario, a week's skiing could require a 5 week write off. 2 weeks before, the week and 2 weeks afterwards if everything falls badly.

Will bubbles be open, or just one person/couple per gondola?

So many questions - my strategy at the moment is to allocate time & funds and then plan for a last minute decision with the default one being to not do anything, and not be disappointed if that's the outcome. Winter might bring a fresh wave as some are saying - tbh, no one knows.

Snow - higher the better & glaciers as always. Tignes etc...

Could be an utter nightmare - you might get some mental deals and perfect conditions....

Perhaps buy with credit card for the insurance?

It's not so much whether stuff'll be open - it's more about travel corridors, restrictions in place, costs of travel and other possible increases in costs, will resorts, rental, etc... be trying to entice you to go or increase prices to recoup...

I think the hardest thing is possible quarantine restrictions - worst case scenario, a week's skiing could require a 5 week write off. 2 weeks before, the week and 2 weeks afterwards if everything falls badly.

So many questions - my strategy at the moment is to allocate time & funds and then plan for a last minute decision with the default one being to not do anything, and not be disappointed if that's the outcome. Winter might bring a fresh wave as some are saying - tbh, no one knows.

Could be an utter nightmare - you might get some mental deals and perfect conditions....

My ski holiday strategy is always the same, book the time off, wait out for the weather to decide what it's going to do, and price watch for the late deals.

It's more difficult for families or groups to coord, but a piece of piss for the two of us, which invariably results in paying 50 - 60% less than other guests who booked early.

It doesn't sicken them at all.

It really doesn't.

Oyibo

LE
I guess that's probably the best if the card will cover that sort of thing.

I really don't know if it does, but worth a look.

Oyibo

LE
Anyone think driving is an option?

In some ways it might be better than flying. My local airport is Geneva (although I live in France) and the rules about crossing borders and quarantining change like the wind - Possibly simpler to drive and do only one border and at least have the flexibility of having your car

tar for the view. Always useful to checkpoint any decision these days. We aren’t going to book anything For early December and will do a ‘last minute’ job - subject to travel restrictions.

I like skiing in Austria but as you say, the risks at the minute are huge as it would appear countries will open and close borders on a whim. 5 weeks quarantine for 1 week of skiing just isn’t worth it. I can see us cancelling the booking we have in early January for the same reasons.

I dont know why but Jockland has zero appeal...... looks like skiing may also be off the holiday agenda as well

Finland may be an option for skiing shortly. A Finnish friend who is in the UK travel industry said that Finland is looking at a form of "bubble" to allow people to stay in Lapland as the region is on it's arse. Any decision will be announced in the next few weeks.

so the Ski train has been cancelled from London and we appear to have a lot of restrictions at the minute, so I'm not sure if Austria is an option anymore as you may have to isolate for 2 weeks when you get there....... so I've just cancelled the hotel at St Anton.

France looking like a possibility if it's driving.

Any pearls of wisdom out there on the subject. What's everyone's skiing plans looking like at the minute?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Finland may be an option for skiing shortly. A Finnish friend who is in the UK travel industry said that Finland is looking at a form of "bubble" to allow people to stay in Lapland as the region is on it's arse. Any decision will be announced in the next few weeks.

We’re still booked for Finland over Christmas.

Haven’t heard anything from the travel agent saying it’s cancelled. Still planning to go.

Fingers crossed.

Snip/

I dont know why but Jockland has zero appeal...... looks like skiing may also be off the holiday agenda as well

Low altitude, cold and wet weather with only two chances of snow, expensive rock hopping, and very hostile to English tourists to boot.

I don't know why it has zero appeal either.

We’re still booked for Finland over Christmas.

Haven’t heard anything from the travel agent saying it’s cancelled. Still planning to go.

Fingers crossed.

We had a brief debate about Finland and can to the conclusion its a bit dark and night vision is an essential.

What's the light conditions like, and roughly when are you heading out?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We had a brief debate about Finland and can to the conclusion its a bit dark and night vision is an essential.

What's the light conditions like, and roughly when are you heading out?

We went for Christmas 2018 and it was honestly the best ski holiday I’ve ever been on.

The light isn’t an issue because everywhere is floodlit.

It’s actually better for it. The place has a weird beautiful twilight about it. The slopes also stay open longer. Some nights you can ski until 11pm.

I’ve stuck some phots up on page 1 of this thread.

We went for Christmas 2018 and it was honestly the best ski holiday I’ve ever been on.

The light isn’t an issue because everywhere is floodlit.

It’s actually better for it. The place has a weird beautiful twilight about it. The slopes also stay open longer. Some nights you can ski until 11pm.

I’ve stuck some phots up on page 1 of this thread.

Thanks for that - absolutely desperate to get away having not had a summer break. Where exactly in Finland did you go? I'd appreciate a recommendation.

Just read your original post. Ta. Will look into it

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks for that - absolutely desperate to get away having not had a summer break. Where exactly in Finland did you go? I'd appreciate a recommendation.

I highly recommend husky sledging.

I just thought it’d be something fun for the kids but it turned out to be one of the best things I’ve ever done.

We just did a shortish taster session but next time we’re going the whole hog and doing a northern lights exped.

I just thought it’d be something fun for the kids but it turned out to be one of the best things I’ve ever done.

We just did a shortish taster session but next time we’re going the whole hog and doing a northern lights exped.

What time of the year are you planning to go this time? December or January? We are on for early Jan straight after the new year

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What time of the year are you planning to go this time? December or January? We are on for early Jan straight after the new year

Christmas again.

Avoids the usual family bullshit where everyone invites themselves to ours for Christmas lunch because we have a big house.

Last time we spent Christmas morning snow mobiling across a frozen lake and had pizza for lunch.

Best Christmas Day ever.

@Simmerit,

We stayed in a self catering cabin on the outskirts of Ruka valley.
Being a ski newby, I stayed on the family slope so can't say what the proper sloes are like.
We also did husky sledding, snow mobile and ice go karting.
Really friendly people.

No news on a Lapland "Bubble" as yet but travel is/will be allowed from UK if you have a negative Covid test.
Currently booked to fly there 24-31 Jan, haven't looked at accommodation just yet.

@Simmerit,

We stayed in a self catering cabin on the outskirts of Ruka valley.
Being a ski newby, I stayed on the family slope so can't say what the proper sloes are like.
We also did husky sledding, snow mobile and ice go karting.
Really friendly people.

No news on a Lapland "Bubble" as yet but travel is/will be allowed from UK if you have a negative Covid test.
Currently booked to fly there 24-31 Jan, haven't looked at accommodation just yet.

Thanks for that - Finland looking like its more of an option that Austria

Husky poo stinks doesn't it:)
We managed to avoid being hit by flying poo, but you do have to keep your eyes open if you are in the sled.
You can visit Santa Claus any day of the year in his village in Rovaniemi , or if you are lucky, he can visit you in your log cabin (with Mrs Claus and Milkshake the Reindeer (Rudolf was not available).

Latest Threads