Skiing thread

As @Oyibo has commented, snowfall in the western end of the Alps has been abysmal so far this year.
The same goes for the Jura, where we live at 1150m asl.
Between mid-Nov 2018 and 13 Jan 2019, I logged 12h of snow clearing from the public approaches to our place.
For the same period 2019 - 20, I have only done 4h.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The racing starts in Wengen in three days time.
Thanks - Ski Sunday locked in then :)

Just on my way back to Blighty after an ace week in in St Anton in Austria. It’s a favourite destination and one we’ve done 5 times in the last 10 years.

There must be plenty of other ARRSErs who ski who have useful hints and tips and views to share on good resorts or places to stay (and avoid), so I thought a thread dedicated to skiing would be useful. I have tried the search function and couldn’t find anything similar, so apologies if there is a similar thread already in existence.

St Anton is ace. If you’ve not done it I’d recommend it. Easy stuff for novices and some good technical stuff for the more advanced and everything in between.

The town is fantastic - typical Austrian small town. As you’d expect is completely geared around summer and winter sport. Lots of restaurants for cheap as chips burgers to 5 star mental prices, but prices are not stupid. There is something for everyone.

We always stay in the Schwazer Adler which is a four and a half star. Great facilities and also does apartments for families. Naked steam room and saunas which is great if you are a seedy perve.

We went first week of the new year and it’s a third cheaper than Christmas and the new year (as you’d expect). Slopes were completely empty. We found ourselves the only people on a runs quite a few times. Normally we ski in March.

Just having the debate about next year. I fancy Italy but have never skied there. Any views? Any recommendations would be good.

We did kitzbuhel a couple of years ago but I wasn’t so keen - town was too low and the signposting on the ski runs was dire.

Anyway. Off the Vale in 9 weeks. Never been. Anyone got any recommendations?
Haven't skied for years now due to my wonky knees, but I used to go to Gaschurn in Vorarlberg quite often, as well as St. Ulrich in the Grodnertal ( Val Gardena ), both nice areas.

When I was still in the RCAF the wing had a couple of Chalets every winter in Switzerland near Chateau d'Oex, where we could spend a week at a very low price.

If you decide to try Canada, I can only recommend the Okanagan, great ski resorts at Apex Alpine, Silver Star, and Big White as well as Sun Peaks that can hold their own with any thing in the Alps in my opinion, less the crowds.

PFGEN

GCM
As @Oyibo has commented, snowfall in the western end of the Alps has been abysmal so far this year.
Between mid-Nov 2018 and 13 Jan 2019, I logged 12h of snow clearing from the public approaches to our place.
I've enjoyed the odd day skiing at La Dole in the Jura. Not all that high at around 1500m but mid week with decent snow coverage a day pass was less than 25 SFr and no crowds or queues. With a bit of sun its a good day out.

Oyibo

LE
In my experience there is an exceptionally accurate way of predicting whether the snow will be good: If I buy a season pass for one of the local 'massifs' the slopes will resemble Sossusvlei in a particularly arid summer.

My wife and I have season passes this year. Bon Chance!

PS Do you want to buy a Husqvarna snow blower?

Blogg

LE
Here is my take after >30 years of Alpine ski glories & total fiasco:

France: No

Spain: No

Italy: No

Scotland: Fcuk No

<2000m Absolutely not

>2500m Fcuk yes

Your experience may vary

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I learnt to ski in Andorra (Saldeu - El Tarter) great place for beginners with some really long easy runs.

Crans Montana in Switzerland was really good. Some great off Piste for those venturing that way. The Apres Ski was good too, with something different to do every night if you wanted.

For those that went to Bosnia and picked up a bit of the lingo, Bulgaria is the place to go. I went to Borovetz, the skiiing was OK, but due to lack of snow that year, some pistes were closed. The locals loved that I could speak to them quite well in their language and were generally grateful. The Apres Ski was really quite good, with busy (but not packed) pubs and clubs.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Met my soon-to-be ex on a skiing trip , to Czechoslovakia - as it still was then. The wine was rank, the skiing was excellent, the airport was snowed in as we flew out on a Tupolev....formative experience.

We also skiied Andorra , Italy and France together. Never bothered with Spain - and all I've heard from others about Scotland puts me off, much as I love the place otherwise.

Pretty sure No1 son has 'Fabrique en France' on his neck...the timing was right. Montgenevre.

North America beckons.

I ski at least every second day, hoping to get 70 days minimum in this season. This season started at the end of September 2019. I am fortunate to live 30 minutes from Nakiska, resort was created for the '88 Olympics. I get a season pass every year for around $300. I try and get to the other major hills a few times each season, Kicking Horse, Sunshine, Lake Louise, Norquay, and Fernie. Fortress is opening again next year as a fully serviced resort, has its own weather system with masses of powder, currently only cat skiing at the moment. All in all, late Autumn, Winter, and Spring I can usually be found on the slopes.

I ski at least every second day, hoping to get 70 days minimum in this season. This season started at the end of September 2019. I am fortunate to live 30 minutes from Nakiska, resort was created for the '88 Olympics. I get a season pass every year for around $300. I try and get to the other major hills a few times each season, Kicking Horse, Sunshine, Lake Louise, Norquay, and Fernie. Fortress is opening again next year as a fully serviced resort, has its own weather system with masses of powder, currently only cat skiing at the moment. All in all, late Autumn, Winter, and Spring I can usually be found on the slopes.
Realy liked Fernie, fantastic snow with some varied terrain. Mountain was let down by the lack of decent facilities like restaurants, toilets and just general refuge. Lift system seemed antiquated (if you've skied Saalbach-Hinterglem you'll know what I mean) and slow. Would go back but would stay more in town next time, although the Japanese restaurant was excellent, there seemed more life/apres than our motel which had the bar/pub downstairs.
Would bypass Bannf next time and motor on to Revelstoke.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Jammy git :cool:

PFGEN

GCM
Jammy git :cool:
That sums it up rather well. I'd maybe have added a few more expletives but the sentiment is the same. I know I should have emigrated when I had the chance. Was planning to start up an air transport outfit in the Rockies but like most well thought out plans at the bar my three oppos bailed when push came to shove. I remember as a spotty faced oik staring in wonder at the CMH films of endless heli skiing in the Rockies. Closest I've been to that dream was Whistler which was simply awesome.

Latest Threads