Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skiing thread

So three of you live in the mountains and have access to skiing pretty much on your doorsteps...
Not jealous... much...
There are downsides, though.
Like when you look out of the window over breakfast and see the weather isn’t looking too clever.
‘Bugger,’ you say. ‘Doesn’t look too great. Leave it until the weather’s better.’
It can spoil your day, you know.

There are downsides, though.
Like when you look out of the window over breakfast and see the weather isn’t looking too clever.
‘Bugger,’ you say. ‘Doesn’t look too great. Leave it until the weather’s better.’
It can spoil your day, you know.
I fully sympathise, must be terrible in the morning after a fresh dump of snow. work or go skiing. My heart so doesn’t bleed!
To be fair your drive is long enough, once cleared, to have earned your porridge.

I fully sympathise, must be terrible in the morning after a fresh dump of snow. work or go skiing. My heart so doesn’t bleed!
To be fair your drive is long enough, once cleared, to have earned your porridge.
‘Work’ : one of those four-letter words ending in ‘k’ that should not be uttered out loud in public.
Retirement does have an occasional benefit.

ETA: The long drive is Oyibo’s.

PFGEN

GCM
‘Work’ : one of those four-letter words ending in ‘k’ that should not be uttered out loud in public.
Retirement does have an occasional benefit.

ETA: The long drive is Oyibo’s.

He should have a chap come round and clear that for him. My friends have one provided by the commune who for a small fee (even by Swiss standards) clears the drive to the front door.

Oyibo

LE
He should have a chap come round and clear that for him. My friends have one provided by the commune who for a small fee (even by Swiss standards) clears the drive to the front door.

It's the farmers who do much of it here - I suppose I could ask one of them.

They have been strangely absent this year though. Perhaps some disagreement with the marie over pay

He’s in France. I suspect that if I added up the lengths of our drive, front path and in front of our garages, we wouldn’t be far off the same area to be cleared.
Although it can appear to be a royal pain, I actually quite enjoy doing it. Fresh air and a bit of exercise ...
Before I retired I travelled a great deal, and the Frau does NOT enjoy snow clearing.
One enterprising young lad in the village persuaded his Dad to lend him his snowblower, posted advertising fliers to the inhabitants, and used to get out of his scratcher bright and early to clear paths for his clients - for a fee, naturally.
When I was absent, the wife gladly availed.
Yes, the Commune will organise it as a social service, and one day I may have to use that service - but not yet.

It's the farmers who do much of it here - I suppose I could ask one of them.

They have been strangely absent this year though. Perhaps some disagreement with the marie over pay
In the small villages here, like the one we first lived in (380 inhabitants) the Canton provided and maintained the plough blades, which could be fitted to the farmers’ tractors.
In the winter months, there was a duty roster amongst the farmers, and when the Met service at GVA airport announced snow on its way, the plough would be hitched on and they would be responsible for road clearance within the Commune.
At the end of winter, which fortunately coincided with the time the fruits of the previous year’s vendange were ready for initial tasting, there was a big raclette evening, wine a-go-go, and the farmers would present their invoices - to be knocked off their communal taxes.
The system worked well.
Oh, and forthright opinions on the quality of the most recent local wines would be passed. Frequently that resulted in ‘give it a couple months more and it might be acceptable. We’ll reconvene for another tasting session then.’
It was an extremely convivial place to live.

ETA: When I say ‘frequently’ I mean ‘routinely’ - as in ‘any excuse for a piss-up at the Commune’s expense’.

Last edited:
The snow clearing for parking spaces here was done by the commune until last year. Apparently people were gaming the system and not paying for it when their neighbours were. The truck can't do individual spaces so even if you didn't pay you'd still get it done.

We hadn't worked out how to arrange it at the beginning of last season and it was a massive pain to have to dig out the space in the dark when we got up here on a Thursday night. So now I pay some guy a couple of hundred bucks a year to clear the space.

_20201206_175534.JPG

In the small villages here, like the one we first lived in (380 inhabitants) the Canton provided and maintained the plough blades, which could be fitted to the farmers’ tractors.
In the winter months, there was a duty roster amongst the farmers, and when the Met service at GVA airport announced snow on its way, the plough would be hitched on and they would be responsible for road clearance within the Commune.
At the end of winter, which fortunately coincided with the time the fruits of the previous year’s vendange were ready for initial tasting, there was a big raclette evening, wine a-go-go, and the farmers would present their invoices - to be knocked off their communal taxes.
The system worked well.
Oh, and forthright opinions on the quality of the most recent local wines would be passed. Frequently that resulted in ‘give it a couple months more and it might be acceptable. We’ll reconvene for another tasting session then.’
It was an extremely convivial place to live.

ETA: When I say ‘frequently’ I mean ‘routinely’ - as in ‘any excuse for a piss-up at the Commune’s expense’.
My parents village (they are both now dead and we are selling the house) when we first moved there some 45 years ago had three farms each on one of the three routes into the centre ie the pub, when it snowed each farm would attach a blade or bucket to a tractor and clear the road till the next major connection. It wasn’t perfect but it meant that those who needed to get to or from the rail station had a good chance of making it. Plus the bus could get in and out. Don’t know if the council ever reimbursed or rewarded them for the work they did but it certainly gave us a sense of community when up against the elements. It always seemed to snow more then, and never as heavy as the Alps of course.

Of the three farms two have now merged into one and the other is a normal house with the land sold off. No idea if the roads would be cleared in the same way now as haven’t see snow there for twenty odd years.

When living in Germany we were lucky in our street as one chap had a snow blower and, or rather when it snowed, would clear a lane on the pavement to the main road, turn, and do another pass so there was a strip for people to walk on. I don’t think he did for any other reason than he like chucking the snow over the cars parked by the pavement!

Oyibo

LE
Snowing hard again at Chateau Oyibo. Sod's law that it's the best snow I have ever seen and ski resorts are closed.

Snowing hard again at Chateau Oyibo. Sod's law that it's the best snow I have ever seen and ski resorts are closed.

Assuming we bomb out of any form of agreement with the European lot, looks like bat and ball is being taken home re any Brits descending on Europe, which means Finland still looks attractive. My preference would still be Austria however

Oyibo

LE
Assuming we bomb out of any form of agreement with the European lot, looks like bat and ball is being taken home re any Brits descending on Europe, which means Finland still looks attractive. My preference would still be Austria however

Despite France's proclamations, I'm pretty sure I could get any of my UK based family to my place in France for Christmas - just as I have entered other countries with judicious use of the truth. But if the slopes aint going to be open...

If I were in your position I reckon I'd be favouring Finland. (But I do like Austria.)

Will they ban Brits but allow Russians into EU countries?

Christmas Eve and the ‘partly cloudy’ is chucking it down here in big white floaty lumps.
Bugger, that means I’ll have to be out with the blower at crack of in the morning.
Oh, no, hang on, it’s a public holiday so no need to. Win. Thank you Baby Jesus .

Oyibo

LE
Christmas Eve and the ‘partly cloudy’ is chucking it down here in big white floaty lumps.
Bugger, that means I’ll have to be out with the blower at crack of in the morning.
Oh, no, hang on, it’s a public holiday so no need to. Win. Thank you Baby Jesus .

White Christmas forecast chez Oyibo. Fingers crossed.

Not that skiing is any easier with Macron's diktats.

Latest Threads