Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skiing thread

I am going to Park city, Utah for 10 days next week. No lessons/classes available, but the slopes are open.

Oyibo

LE
swine. I hate you!

lucky cnut

Look on the bright side: You might go to Austria, Finland, or Switzerland and enjoy a comfy ride on a chairlift up the slopes while France does not allow it!

This is the best snow I have seen in the region in ten years, and L'Empereur is saying "non" to skiing in France [at the moment]. It's a bit like being in a multinational bar when the landlord shouts "The drinks are on the house. But not for you."

Oyibo

LE
That’s Brexit for you.

I'll have to move to Glenshee to revisit the joys of negotiating ice, rocks, and tufts of heather on the immaculate slopes. (While having the fizzog made into a colander by the icy sleet.)

I'll have to move to Glenshee to revisit the joys of negotiating ice, rocks, and tufts of heather on the immaculate slopes. (While having the fizzog made into a colander by the icy sleet.)
Don’t. You’ll bring back the nightmares of skiing on Cairngorm. Ski championships and the weather was so bloody foul.
In the slalom, I came adrift and lost a ski. The gatekeeper yelled at me ‘Just pick up your ski and get on, this is the last gate.’
It was so bad I couldn’t see the finish!
In the warm cafe over lunch, we all waited for the results of the first run: those few of us who had ‘finished’ had to get back up on the hill in the afternoon for the second run. None of us wanted to go!
So it was a quick flip to the front, in proper military fashion, and off we went.

Oyibo

LE
Don’t. You’ll bring back the nightmares of skiing on Cairngorm. Ski championships and the weather was so bloody foul.
In the slalom, I came adrift and lost a ski. The gatekeeper yelled at me ‘Just pick up your ski and get on, this is the last gate.’
It was so bad I couldn’t see the finish!
In the warm cafe over lunch, we all waited for the results of the first run: those few of us who had ‘finished’ had to get back up on the hill in the afternoon for the second run. None of us wanted to go!
So it was a quick flip to the front, in proper military fashion, and off we went.

My Scottish skiing claim to fame is seven stitches and a shaved head in Perth Royal Infirmary after negotiating perfect Glenshee conditions.

964ST

Old-Salt
I sense that „ski-mountaineering“ is not on the cards,
ie. No lifts! skin-up (not the obvious!). It is an option?
You might have to live in your car (or be dogged!) but sometimes „the extra effort has rewards! (Not talking about being dogged, by the way!)

Oyibo

LE
I sense that „ski-mountaineering“ is not on the cards,
ie. No lifts! skin-up (not the obvious!). It is an option?
You might have to live in your car (or be dogged!) but sometimes „the extra effort has rewards! (Not talking about being dogged, by the way!)

Ski mountaineering will be allowed in France (within 20kms of your home). No idea whether the slopes will be groomed - probably not in the smaller resorts if the lifts don't open.

... Have just got back from the shops:

View attachment 526106

Having consulted the Met, decided to wait until this morning before going to the shops.
So I give you views from the bedroom now:
78863260-1F00-474D-BC2C-65FFF586953C.jpeg
683770C1-70BF-4463-879C-9A2E3A1B3CB2.jpeg

Oyibo

LE
Having consulted the Met, decided to wait until this morning before going to the shops.
So I give you views from the bedroom now:

Very nice. I have just had a minor admonition from SWMBO that we are the only household not to cleared our drive. So that's me sorted for the morning (after a visit to the cafe/tabac). Must have been about 10" of snow in the Vallee Verte yesterday (sorry, can't do accents on this keyboard).

View from garage door:

1607159568873.png

Grumpy snowploughing to follow.

Very nice. I have just had a minor admonition from SWMBO that we are the only household not to cleared our drive. So that's me sorted for the morning (after a visit to the cafe/tabac). Must have been about 10" of snow in the Vallee Verte yesterday (sorry, can't do accents on this keyboard).

View from garage door:

View attachment 526233

Grumpy snowploughing to follow.
We had about the same, hence lots of blower & shovel drill.
Lovely, isn’t it?

Oyibo

LE
We had about the same, hence lots of blower & shovel drill.
Lovely, isn’t it?

After 70m of clearing very heavy snow on my drive, I can confidently say "non"

1607166517089.png

So three of you live in the mountains and have access to skiing pretty much on your doorsteps...
Not jealous... much...

Yeah, had to clean the car windscreen of at least 2cm of snow Friday morning. No blowers, ploughs, quads or tractors needed. Some people hey! ;)
Where’s that?
I don’t recall seeing any ‘Britain at a Standstill in Grip of Antarctic Blast’ headlines in ‘End-of-Days’ font!

Where’s that?
I don’t recall seeing any ‘Britain at a Standstill in Grip of Antarctic Blast’ headlines in ‘End-of-Days’ font!
Near Colchester, snow turned to sleet turned to rain by 10am so no dramas even in a rear wheel drive. That said plenty of people managed to throw it into the hedge.
The lack of “end of the world” click bait headlines was more down to 90% of the population is staying at home.

... That said plenty of people managed to throw it into the hedge.
Contrary to popular perception, winter tyres are not strictly a legal requirement in CH.
However, if you have an accident on snow/ice, or cause a delay by being unable to move, Plod will do you for driving a vehicle that is not fit for the road conditions, a bit like being done for bald tyres.
Of course, the joy of that charge is your insurance is automatically invalidated.
At the Col just above our place there is a large car park (ski de fonders and walkers). It is only 8km from the French border.
When it has snowed, the local Gendarmes love pulling over French-reg cars and checking the tyres.
In CH winter tyres must be fitted on all wheels. In France they are only mandatory on the drive wheels.
Invariably they catch six or so drivers who do not know the different regs and tell them the vehicle ain’t moving until they are in compliance with Swiss regs.
Such fun when it’s eventide!
Mind, the garage owner 200m down the hill doesn’t object. He does a roaring trade.

Latest Threads