Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skiing thread

Coronavirus pandemic: Germany seeks EU deal to close ski resorts​

Austria says it will sue for loss of earnings if this is agreed.

Coronavirus pandemic: Germany seeks EU deal to close ski resorts​

Austria says it will sue for loss of earnings if this is agreed.

We've been on to St Anton last night. Everything is opening up from the 13th December. The place we stay has changed their cancellation policy and you can cancel up to a week before you go - its normally a month. There will be restrictions like masks and social distancing.

Italy and whinging like fcuk and Austria have said pish off. Austria are going for it.

Another fine example of the EU working in harmony.......

Oyibo

LE
Not looking good for France:

We've been on to St Anton last night. Everything is opening up from the 13th December. The place we stay has changed their cancellation policy and you can cancel up to a week before you go - its normally a month. There will be restrictions like masks and social distancing.

Italy and whinging like fcuk and Austria have said pish off. Austria are going for it.

Another fine example of the EU working in harmony.......
Our regular choice are gearing up for normal opening but with various cv19 restrictions in place mainly around lift occupancy and wearing of masks in public places but no apres bars open. Have held off booking so far.

chimera

LE
There are various reports that the French resorts won’t open until after the NY celebrations which hasn’t gone down well as you can imagine.

Courchevel will surely want to be open for Russian New Year hols (Jan 4,5,6) and Russian Christmas Day on 7 Jan.

Courchevel will surely want to be open for Russian New Year hols (Jan 4,5,6) and Russian Christmas Day on 7 Jan.
And they’ll probably be able to but that’ll be a perfect reason not to go to Courchevel so to avoid Gucci ski suited, loud, drunk Russians.

Oyibo

LE
There are various reports that the French resorts won’t open until after the NY celebrations which hasn’t gone down well as you can imagine.

Looks like Austria is the best bet at the moment.

Bogner ski suits, surely?

The French resorts had better be open by February for my planned long weekend in Megeve! [shakes fist at cloud]
I bow to your superior knowledge to who the gold and furry suits are made by, Megeve has its fair share of posers too mind! I think you’ll be fine for Feb. Macrons popularity, or lack of it, couldn’t take the hit.

Our regular choice are gearing up for normal opening but with various cv19 restrictions in place mainly around lift occupancy and wearing of masks in public places but no apres bars open. Have held off booking so far.
Looks like Austria is the best bet at the moment.

we generally go straight after new year. The resort is empty and there are no school kids

we generally go straight after new year. The resort is empty and there are no school kids
Yep, here too. Last couple of weeks of Jan are great in my book, slightly longer days, good snow (usually) and the resort staff have had a chance to recover! Avoid 1/2 term like the plague

Oyibo

LE
It's snowing chez Oyibo at the moment - about 3 inches deep at 420 metres / 1378 feet altitude.

Word on the street (a neighbour) is that there is a very strong lobby in France to open the slopes (or more to the point, the lifts).

It's snowing chez Oyibo at the moment - about 3 inches deep at 420 metres / 1378 feet altitude.

Word on the street (a neighbour) is that there is a very strong lobby in France to open the slopes (or more to the point, the lifts).
200,000 seasonal workers on the slopes in France. 400,000 in Italy. You can see where the pressure is coming from

Oyibo

LE
200,000 seasonal workers on the slopes in France. 400,000 in Italy. You can see where the pressure is coming from

Very much so, and because they are seasonal workers they are not entitled to the covid 80% subsidy in France. One friend/acquaintance relies on work at the local ski stations (mostly at the ticket booths) to top up his pension - he'll be f*cked if he cannot do so this year.

On a cheerier note, here's a photo I took of Chateau Oyibo this morning:

1606807215169.png

Very much so, and because they are seasonal workers they are not entitled to the covid 80% subsidy in France. One friend/acquaintance relies on work at the local ski stations (mostly at the ticket booths) to top up his pension - he'll be f*cked if he cannot do so this year.

On a cheerier note, here's a photo I took of Chateau Oyibo this morning:

View attachment 525231
Very nice - you are a lucky lad. All you need is some guns and you’ve cracked it

Oyibo

LE
Very nice - you are a lucky lad. All you need is some guns and you’ve cracked it

Absolutely - I'm thinking along the lines of these 'des-res'es:

Absolutely - I'm thinking along the lines of these 'des-res'es:

Brilliant - get the guns and you’ve got bunkers. Happy days

By the looks of the weather forecasts (Bergfex,Snow-forecast and we.powder) there is a massive dump on the way. Mainly central and eastern Alps but two to two and a half meters worth. Great to get the base going. With such a good early start the pressure to open up as normal must be heating up. Which is ironic really!

Latest Threads