Skiing in Europe - this week?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Litotes, Mar 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An unexpected gap in my diary is developing and, given the forecasts, I am minded to fly to the Alps for some skiing.

From the Internet thingy, I gather that Italy and Austria are suffering but France is looking good, although you have to be above 2000m because the airmass is pretty warm.

Is anyone in a position to advise me? What's it really like on the ground?

Grateful for advice.

Litotes

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Not good - it was 17 celcius at 1500mtrs last weekend so all the low resorts are using arty snow only. Higher ones in the 3 valleys are ok - but busy and hard to find a good package offer.

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

This place is ok, villiage at 2000m and more snow expected over the next three days. 40min out of Innsbruck

Kuhtai

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Tignes was good 2 weeks ago, try here:

www.skiworld.ltd.uk

Chalet Valerie was fantastic!!!!

Snow report:

Report date: 7 Mar 2007
    (updated 1:00pm)
    Last snowed: 6 Mar 2007
    Fresh snow: 2cm
    Lifts open: 35 out of 47
    Snow Depths
    Lower slopes: 159cm
    Upper slopes: 260cm
    Piste Information
    On piste: Excellent
    Off piste: Varied
    Resort runs: Good

5. My son just back from couple weeks snowboarding in Verbier, great weather and lots of fresh powder.

6. Just got back from Meribel/3 valleys on Sunday. The beginning of the week saw truck loads of snow fall on the 25th Feb and it then snowed everyday bar one for the rest of the time. It was good stuff on the higher slopes with awesome off piste powder to begin with, but towards the end of the week rain on the lower slopes and elevated temps consolidated it into heavy porridge lower down. On sat 1st March significant brown muddy patches appeared on the well skied blues heading to Altiport and La Raffort. We left on Sunday and it had been a clear night and so it had all frozen. Orelle, Val Thoren were awesome when the lifts weren't shut due to gale force winds and no vis!!!! Skiing was generally OK, blading hard work and boarding was brilliant. Avalanche cats were 4/5 and 5/5 for most of the time. La Chaudanne in Meribel was full of slushy puddles on Saturday.

Try 'Skihame' website for any last minute deals. Talk to Dave or Annie as sometimes they have spare places in Chalets. They are a fantastic small operator. Spoke to a couple of cockney types who had found a deal with someone like 'ski-deals'???? For £60 each they had found a lastminute. This allegedly included a return coach from Maidstone, hotel, ski hire and possibly the 3 valleys lift pass(sounds wrong to me). Bargain!!! but don't know if they were winding me up or not.

try http://www.merinet.com/index.php

7. Thanks very much for the information which, more or less, fits in with what I had been told already: Go high in France!

Just trying to search the web, find my ski kit, book and clear my desk....

Thanks very much, Guys!

Litotes