ski instuctors can you help

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by gunit, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone shed any light on what equipment i need to order and take ski touring with me.

I am interest on the items i need to order from loan pool stores at bicester, i am going to get ski tour profeciency.

thanks

2. Is it an army course? If so I did it in 2001 and everything was provided.
    AJ

3. no i am organising the exped and need to order the equipment from bicester loan pool stores, but there is no set list you order what you want i just need to know what i actually need. If that makes sense.

4. yes there is , send me you fax number & ill send the loan pool NSN Catalogue for both Bicester and Dulmen

5. I'd recommend some skis :) Ski boots :) warm clothes :)

6. And maybe some ski poles..... :roll:

7. Good call Devlish! I snowblade, and therefore don't use them :)

8. I have a copy of the catalogue but its not that easy. It actually just lists lots of different stuff that you could use, i need to know what i need to order out of the whole catalogue.

cheers anyway

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Touring skis with articulated bindings - don't accept anything old.
    Touring boots (not ski boots) - insulation appropriate to the area.
    Skins, make sure they are new'ish - (for going uphill).
    Poles with large baskets.
    Touring brain bucket that suits eyewear.
    Goggs for bad conditions, glacier glasses for sunshine.
    Clothing - you can figure that for yourself I am sure.
    High factor sun block and lip balm.
    Avalanche kit: personal location device, search device (at least 2 per group), probe, shovel - if you are rich the "airbag" rucksacs.
    Depending on the route - basic climbing/safety gear: >30mtrs of 6mm rope, harness, belay device and a few crabs, cords etc. Crampons and ice axe again depending on route.
    GPS with track back.

And don't forget a large pair of gonads.... :D

If you need more specifics let me know, otherwise enjoy!

10. Thanks very much, i can now crack on with ordering the stuff from loan pool stores.

Cheers for your help Alsacien.

11. goto a ski forum online, as the type of ski length depends on the weight & sex on the person on it.

Or ask another Regiment's Ski Officer for help and advice