Ski Goggles

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by A2_Matelot, Dec 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

I have had my eyes lasered, one minor side effect is a small amount of definition loss in flat light. So for the coming ski season I've considered some decent goggles but I'm also on a budget.

Looking at the Scott range, its a toss-up between their amplifier range of lenses

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Products/220444black

and a cat-1 (larger amount of light transmission) yellow lens.

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Scott-Fact-Goggles-2013--aluminium-yellow-lens---18534.html

We use yellow lenses for low light shooting so it seems sensible that yellow will work, but anyone tried either and have an opinion? I'm particularly after a lens that will help in the murky, cloudy/overcast/whiteout days, I have a decent pair for sunshine days.

I've googled but there isn't a general consensus of opinion.

2. Have had Scott in the past and as a glasses wearer it tends to be the glasses that fog up not the goggles. At the end of the day you just have to try on the mountain, if the light is that bad then you have a couple of options, slow down and adjust, or, pull them up and carry on with normal sight, or, sack it and hit the apres early.
    Yellow/orange is the recommended choice for low light conditions. Only you can tell.
    Happy skiing the snow is awesome this year ( so far ).

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Always find a problem in low light with any googles or sunglasses (contact lens wearer). As bhb says, I find reverting to the mark 1 eye ball the better solution.

4. A2_Matelot

Flat light - best described as when you can't discern features, even the horizon is indistinct. PITA for skiing/boarding as you can't see bumps/lumps.

I agree with whats been said MK1 eyeball but mine is now defective, after LASIK, in this respect so hence the need for an aid. I also agree yellow seems to be the sensible choice, but then why the amplifier range - what do they add?

5. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

I am a glasses wearer as well, try Smiths OTG with Turbo fan. The little fan helps stop fogging.
    Back to original question, yello/orange is best, but sometimes just reverting to normal glasses is best option.

6. My introduction to skiing was langlauf on MOD planks so I'm not a skiing fan, sailing is my game and I have always used Bolle glasses on the water. I know they do ski goggles/ glasses as some of the guys I sail use them. Good kit

7. Hmm, thats not good. I was thinking about doing the laser thing, but never saw that mentioned.

8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Flat light conditions when your skiing has nothing to do with laser surgery and is something that someone with 20/20 vision will also suffer with.

9. I've got a pair of Scott goggles with orange lenses (vaguely similar to the first pair posted, but without being optimised for glasses) for mountaineering, and they're absolutely fine for daytime use, and don't really cause any issues in twilight either (although things are ever so slightly darker with them on).

10. A2_Matelot

Depth perception in low light, halo effect with lights at night - minimal but I'm always aware of it. Arse for driving with oncoming headlights.

I have to say, all things considered I don't regret the LASIK. Minor downsides hugely outweighed by better eyesight, and that's remained 3+ years. (had mine done at 40 - should have done it 15 years earlier).

11. A2_Matelot

Flat light is environmental - the LASIK (in some instances) exacerbates the lack of contrast/depth perception. Mentioned beautifully in the aftercare notes, after the operation ;-)

12. I have no experience of the surgery but used to be into ski racing. I've used Carrera goggles for years and had a pair with a yellow lens for sunlight and a pair with a grey lens for low light conditions or when a significant part of the course was in shadow. In the past Carrera was one of the few suppliers that had replacement lenses which is just as well as they weren't cheap and a number were lost to various incidents. Things have moved on and there's a lot of good makes out there, i.e. Scott, Oakley, Bolle etc. Apart from the choice of lens it goes without saying that you find one that comfortably fits the shape of your face. I've seen people regret their purchases after a day's skiing and their face looks like its been worked over with a hammer.