Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ski Clothing

ocelot

Old Salt
Hello all,

I will be off Skiing soon, my first time. I was wondering if anyone knows of decent/quality places to buy ski gear online. I have had a look at several sites, but was wondering what ARRSE could recommend.

Cheers
Ocelot

(also, mods, I was not sure where to post this thread, please feel free to where you feel is relevant)

My son took his family on a ski holiday and bought the suits on ebay. When he got back he put them on ebay and made a profit .. sorted!

ocelot said:
Hello all,

I will be off Skiing soon, my first time. I was wondering if anyone knows of decent/quality places to buy ski gear online. I have had a look at several sites, but was wondering what ARRSE could recommend.

Cheers
Ocelot

(also, mods, I was not sure where to post this thread, please feel free to where you feel is relevant)

Some people on here will probably cringe at the thought, but TK Maxx has some good gear for decent prices. The stuff isn't quite as top spec as what you'd get if you paid top whack, but it looks good and will keep you warm and dry, which is all you need really.

I have been using their snowboarding gear for about three years now.

Top tip: Get a helmet. Brain damage is for losers.

Mountain Warehouse is having a 50% off sale on Ski kit right now.

The stuff they sell is basic and for begineers - you can get a brand new ski jacket for £30. Sorted.

Ravers said:
Some people on here will probably cringe at the thought, but TK Maxx has some good gear for decent prices. The stuff isn't quite as top spec as what you'd get if you paid top whack, but it looks good and will keep you warm and dry, which is all you need really.

You dirty pikey cunt. Get to Snow and Rock and throw money at things with wanton abandon. I wouldn't grace TK Maxx with my presence, the hideous plebians.

mysteron said:
Mountain Warehouse is having a 50% off sale on Ski kit right now.

Good starting point but consider hiring as a first timmer. It's not everyones cup of tea. Once you find you like it then is the time to spend good beer tokens on kit - less ski's as every tit in the ski lift seems to jump up and down on any decent ski's.

For some good ski info also try Ski Chat Forum

Montigny_La_palisse said:
Ravers said:

You dirty pikey cunt. Get to Snow and Rock and throw money at things with wanton abandon. I wouldn't grace TK Maxx with my presence, the hideous plebians.

I know, I know, but when you are as awesome as me you will end up destroying whatever gear you have through sheer speed and aggression.

Anyway I like my TK Maxx snowman suit:
n646352761_1313988_6855.jpg

Ravers said:
Montigny_La_palisse said:
Ravers said:

I know, I know, but when you are as awesome as me you will end up destroying whatever gear you have through sheer speed and aggression.

Anyway I like my TK Maxx snowman suit:
n646352761_1313988_6855.jpg

I wouldn't dream of risking damage to my thousands of pounds worth of KJUS kit by doing any actual ski-ing. :D

Ebay leads the way in cheap kit after people spend a mint on it all, go once and decide they hate it. Look there.

Ravers said:
ocelot said:
Hello all,

Cheers
Ocelot

Seconded. TK Maxx is the way forward for clothing. I've not seen any helmets there. There are plenty of lids on Fleabay. I wouldn't buy a motorcycle helmet there but I don't think there is a problem with a ski/boarding helmet. You can also hire lids at the same place as you get skis etc. Some of them looked pretty manky in the shop we were in.

Decent gloves can be quite pricey. I have used issue gloves before with no ill effects. I tried them with the attitude of if they don't work then I can buy a pair in the resort. I didn't need to.

Get good socks. My ankles have been rubbed raw in the past. I got better socks and no longer suffer from the problem.

Don't wear too much! Its really easy to overheat.

Take lessons.

MP3 with lots of thrash metal.

Next to sex, motorbikes and guns, skiing/boarding is about as much fun as you can have.

elovabloke said:
Ravers said:

Know we understand. As you can only afford one ski your not going to be able to make it to the Spider range.

You mean "Spyder" I assume? ;)

I have spyder kit. It is uber expensive, but I've never worn warmer, and more practical kit. Certainly don't consider buying it unless you know you enjoy skiing!!

I'd also recommend TKMaxx - but not for gloves. Worth spending that little bit more on decent gloves, althogh the weather is warming up a bit and you might not need the biggest variety on the market.

I often wear issue socks and have never had problem with them, but ski socks are that bit warmer and more comfortable.

Also try Snowfit: http://www.snowfit.co.uk/stores.asp : based in Norwich, they are nice people and often have kit for pretty reasonable prices.

Helmet is a really, really good idea.

And don't ski with an ipod on. Snowboarders do that.