Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skateboarding in the Army?

A few years back me and a couple of mates are walking past a skatepark. My mate, who back in the day had some serious skills, asks for a go on some 12 year old kid’s board.

Straight into it, hasn’t been on a skateboard in 15 years, tries to do a kick flip off a little ramp, falls over and destroys his cruciate ligament.

In plaster cast for 6 months.

How long were you laughing for before you called an ambulance?

Been skating for 45 years (yes I'm 62 now, and still going on 13); army, police, student, whatever. My thing is bowl riding and downhill speed runs - best recorded downhill run was at 68mph at 02:00hrs being clocked by a colleague in a Traffic Range Rover with a VASCAR unit fitted.

The pictured deck is a re-release of an Alva deck, used by Tony Alva one of the original Santa Monica Z-Boys. Alva is still skateing and is a year older than me.

DSCN0108.jpg
Is young Danny Way still skating? I was with him in China when he jumped the great Wall. Although he did manage the jump he crashed badly the day before. The reason is not mentioned in the video:
Danny heard me ask his team if he was a he was going to do a test run so we could line the cameras up for the next day. His manager said No -as the headwind was too strong. Danny said 'Yes, I'm going to try...'

He didn't make it - at 3.25 he's directly over my head (I'm wearing the red and white Hawaiian shirt pointing the camera up at him) and had parted company with his board. I slid down the ramp, burning my arse on the way and got shots of him laying injured at 3.55. I filmed with him in the hospital a little later and he was telling me it wasn't my fault!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
That brings back memories, what wheels and trucks ?
I was poking around in my shed a couple of months ago and found my old board from the 1970s. Last time I tried riding it was 16 years ago....nearly shit myself.
Think my deck was a G+S with mid tracks and red Kryps, all well worn, although they still seem to have aged better than me :)
I had a G&S Fibreflex slalom board with California Slalom trucks (7" wide) and green Kryps.

Very good point.

In this current world of trying to appeal to a younger generation, it’s certainly time for the forces to look at stuff like this. Skateboarding is massively popular and is now an Olympic sport, no reason at all why the military shouldn’t encourage and embrace it.

I’m trying to think of the most random and obscure sport I’ve seen people do in the military.

I was in a unit where load of people got really into cross country skiing, except instead of doing it on snow and using skis, they used really long rollerblades.

View attachment 539328
Roller skiing is the best CV/ technique training for Biathlon outside of the winter months.

Most of the Biathlon/Langlauf events are run on rollerski competitions near 30m ranges to enable the shoot aspects of the event, and was a common sight around the units who had a strong team.

When I am in, or around, Irvine, california, I pop into a particular mall for lunch. During the lunchtime period there are loads of collar and tie executives from locally based corporates that [literally] roll up on the electric versions of these and also electric scooters. They can control the skateboard speed with an app on their phones, apparently.

morsk

LE
When I am in, or around, Irvine, california, I pop into a particular mall for lunch. During the lunchtime period there are loads of collar and tie executives from locally based corporates that [literally] roll up on the electric versions of these and also electric scooters. They can control the skateboard speed with an app on their phones, apparently.
I want one

Latest Threads