Skateboarding in the Army?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Really useful thank you. I notice on the winter sports they didn't specify snowboard. Do you (or anyone reading this) know if snowboarding is popular enough in the Army to be able to easily take part?

If there's no skateboarding i can deal with skateboarding on snow!

I’m Navy, but it’s largely similar where sport is concerned.

Snowboarding is very popular in the Forces. The RN / RM ski and snowboarding championships regularly attract 2000 ish people, about half of which are boarders at all levels. I have probably spent around 2 or 3 months snowboarding at the Navy’s expense.

I used to skateboard in my youth and still occasionally BMX. While there might not be an official Army skateboarding team, there will definitely be some likeminded people who are into it or fancy giving it a go. We used to have a regular crew of lads who would travel to skateparks.

As Stacker says above, if your sport isn’t represented by an official team or society, start one.

Obviously be prepared for people to take the piss and sing that Avril Lavigne song at you, but it’s all good natured and you’ll find that skateboarding is nowhere near as weird as some of the other hobbies and sports that people do in the military.

Holy shit!.......... no arm or torso protection, one wrong move, and skinned alive, fair play to them, balls clunge's of steel. Respect!

Yeah, but here the girls ride motorcycle dressed like that too, seen them in bikinis as rear seat ornaments.

At least this pair seem experienced, wearing helmets, kneepads and with sliders on their gloves.

Sometimes the more esoteric the activity, the more the army likes it. This can come in handy if you need to access some funding for your chosen activity.

Sometimes the more esoteric the activity, the more the army likes it. This can come in handy if you need to access some funding for your chosen activity.

I was seen riding down from the accomodation, past the Employment Training School, and guardroom, the long way round to the NAAFI by the team captain of the Corps Ski Team. A couple of months later I was spending 6 weeks in Aviemore.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Very good point.

In this current world of trying to appeal to a younger generation, it’s certainly time for the forces to look at stuff like this. Skateboarding is massively popular and is now an Olympic sport, no reason at all why the military shouldn’t encourage and embrace it.

I’m trying to think of the most random and obscure sport I’ve seen people do in the military.

I was in a unit where load of people got really into cross country skiing, except instead of doing it on snow and using skis, they used really long rollerblades.

85B82ECA-8686-4338-93EB-48A75969D5BB.jpeg

QRK2

LE
Very good point.

In this current world of trying to appeal to a younger generation, it’s certainly time for the forces to look at stuff like this. Skateboarding is massively popular and is now an Olympic sport, no reason at all why the military shouldn’t encourage and embrace it.

I’m trying to think of the most random and obscure sport I’ve seen people do in the military.

I was in a unit where load of people got really into cross country skiing, except instead of doing it on snow and using skis, they used really long rollerblades.

View attachment 539328

There was a Norgie officer who used to do that round Basrah Air Station roads in bright red lycra, I'm sure he caused a few RTAs from unbelieving/shocked drivers.

Really useful thank you. I notice on the winter sports they didn't specify snowboard. Do you (or anyone reading this) know if snowboarding is popular enough in the Army to be able to easily take part?

If there's no skateboarding i can deal with skateboarding on snow!

I had some military friends who were into Snowboarding so yes it can happen, I forgot to mention earlier, sometimes sport can depend on your regiment, in the RLC the skiers went to 1 LSR, boxers and rugby players to 2LSR, Athletes to 3 regt etc, technically you can do any sport where ever you are (and the better you are the more likely it is that you can do it), but its a lot easier if the regiment/cap badge takes an interest.
If you go to a regiment that isnt really into winter sports, then you will struggle to get away.

slick

LE
Been skating for 45 years (yes I'm 62 now, and still going on 13); army, police, student, whatever. My thing is bowl riding and downhill speed runs - best recorded downhill run was at 68mph at 02:00hrs being clocked by a colleague in a Traffic Range Rover with a VASCAR unit fitted.

The pictured deck is a re-release of an Alva deck, used by Tony Alva one of the original Santa Monica Z-Boys. Alva is still skateing and is a year older than me.

DSCN0108.jpg
That brings back memories, what wheels and trucks ?
I was poking around in my shed a couple of months ago and found my old board from the 1970s. Last time I tried riding it was 16 years ago....nearly shit myself.
Think my deck was a G+S with mid tracks and red Kryps, all well worn, although they still seem to have aged better than me :)

" Trucks, wheels, fantastic, but the only forking trucks you are going to see round here are these ere Robert Redford,s, pick up yout shit and get in.................Forking skateboarding, this is Sennybridge not Santa forkin Cruz"

That brings back memories, what wheels and trucks ?
I was poking around in my shed a couple of months ago and found my old board from the 1970s. Last time I tried riding it was 16 years ago....nearly shit myself.
Think my deck was a G+S with mid tracks and red Kryps, all well worn, although they still seem to have aged better than me :)

The trucks are 7" Tracker Trucks, the wheels are 60mm OJ Super Juice, the deck is a re-issue of one they had out in the late 70's. I saw the deck in the Vans indoor skatepark in Orange, California, and bought all the other bits from the SoCal Skateshop when we were on the annual holiday.

The lad took up skateboarding when he was smaller and in an effort to teach him I started falling off again :). I was just using his cheap and cheerful board. Then I saw the Alva deck; 40 years ago it was a shiny bit of unobtainium so I had to have it, as you do, for no real practical purpose other than you can.

This place is a short hop from my house and I'm not the oldest that gets there. If you sit down to get old you will get old, if you haven't got the time to get old you won't.

I used to like the old G&S fibreflex decks, I used to have blue Kryps back in the day, a bit harder than the red ones.

Last edited:
Is there any sort of skateboarding scene in the Army? I'd appreciate as many serious responses as possible please ;)
I was in the RM/RN skate board team back in 00/01
We actually had sponsorship from Powell Peralta which paid for the US and Australia tour at the end of 01.
Army team in those days was pretty strong although I dont know what they're like these days.

Is there any sort of skateboarding scene in the Army? I'd appreciate as many serious responses as possible please ;)
Why not find a hobby for grown-ups?

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
"Sports are like wars. Unless the Germans take part, they don't count."

That's from my mate Chris - an ex- South African hockey international. Does this apply to skateboarding?

964ST

LE
"Sports are like wars. Unless the Germans take part, they don't count."

That's from my mate Chris - an ex- South African hockey international. Does this apply to skateboarding?
I did a military course in Ski- Biking?? It is actually mental!! (especially in summer but much slower!), I did an approved military course!! FFS:) and in one season I was representing the Forces in the German Open Championships! And was in the BAOR downhill ,slalom and superG team.
Th OP! Maybe will just need, to maybe broaden your horizons and look at your JSP as to what is available?

Last edited:

Issi

LE
I bought myself a new longboard for my 40th, and subsequently broke my hand skating back from the pub, after an injudicious amount of Kronenbourg.
I had to take some time off work, and the boss phoned me and gave me gyp about damaging myself skateboarding.

“But Phil, if I broke my ankle playing 5 a side, or badminton, that would be OK?”

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I bought myself a new longboard for my 40th, and subsequently broke my hand skating back from the pub, after an injudicious amount of Kronenbourg.
I had to take some time off work, and the boss phoned me and gave me gyp about damaging myself skateboarding.

“But Phil, if I broke my ankle playing 5 a side, or badminton, that would be OK?”

A few years back me and a couple of mates are walking past a skatepark. My mate, who back in the day had some serious skills, asks for a go on some 12 year old kid’s board.

Straight into it, hasn’t been on a skateboard in 15 years, tries to do a kick flip off a little ramp, falls over and destroys his cruciate ligament.

In plaster cast for 6 months.

Latest Threads