Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Size of Fig.12 at 25m?

My last air rifle was sold after the Police came round, to pay for a racing pigeon I'd hit with iron sights on the wing from our back yard. Not bad for a 14 year-old with a Webley Hawk, but Mother handed them a week's rent to pay the owner off and I had to repay her pronto. How do you expect a kid to see a leg ring at that speed and distance?

Four decades later, I'm hoping I'm fractionally more mature, so I've just bought a pre-charged .177 air rifle, no iron sights so a 4x fitted, and using a safe 25m measured outdoor plot mates and I have set up: no racing pigeons either. After about 100 rounds, I'm getting the brass cap of shotgun cartridges end-on two shots out of three from a bench today, which should be OK hand-held for ratting, and I'll progress anyway. We got talking, and wondered how big a Fig. 12 target should be at that range? I understand they're 19"/475mm across the shoulders up close, so I've tried doing sums but I'm just confusing myself and Google is not my friend on this one. I suspect the paper targets from the gunshop are a little large, but I can't get a mate to stand at 300m while I point a gun to measure his width on my 'scope.

PP 32-34 of the NRA handbook was no use to us, either. Any advice out there, please?

I can then print or buy in the exact proportionate target for us. Or, please, just tell me the sums and I'll take it from there. Cheers, m'dears.

Didn't know Fig 12's were intended for 100m ranging. Thanks anyway.

Tried the sums again, the small pre-printed Fig 12's from the gunshop, four to a square at 25m equates to 235 metres when measured across the shoulders with a fine metal ruler. Some clever bugger put up a website where you can have the width in centimetres, radians, mildots, feral pigs, turnips, anything. I think I'm there, as near as dammit. So long as a charging non-descript enemy soldier doesn't actually move for five seconds, he's mine and maybe my .177 can annoy one of his eyes, is all.

I'd be better off waiting 'til he arrived then clubbing him.

Didn't know Fig 12's were intended for 100m ranging. Thanks anyway.

Tried the sums again, the small pre-printed Fig 12's from the gunshop, four to a square at 25m equates to 235 metres when measured across the shoulders with a fine metal ruler. Some clever bugger put up a website where you can have the width in centimetres, radians, mildots, feral pigs, turnips, anything. I think I'm there, as near as dammit. So long as a charging non-descript enemy soldier doesn't actually move for five seconds, he's mine and maybe my .177 can annoy one of his eyes, is all.

I'd be better off waiting 'til he arrived then clubbing him.
Have you got a link to that site?

Polo mint challenge at ten metres standing and 20 mtrs off the bipod will challenge your patience i gave up with the ..22 sombody needs to make bigger polo mints

What you need is this, I have never missed one at 25 yards.

Attachments

• targets.jpg
    targets.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 14
My last air rifle was sold after the Police came round, to pay for a racing pigeon I'd hit with iron sights on the wing from our back yard. Not bad for a 14 year-old with a Webley Hawk, but Mother handed them a week's rent to pay the owner off and I had to repay her pronto. How do you expect a kid to see a leg ring at that speed and distance?

Four decades later, I'm hoping I'm fractionally more mature, so I've just bought a pre-charged .177 air rifle, no iron sights so a 4x fitted, and using a safe 25m measured outdoor plot mates and I have set up: no racing pigeons either. After about 100 rounds, I'm getting the brass cap of shotgun cartridges end-on two shots out of three from a bench today, which should be OK hand-held for ratting, and I'll progress anyway. We got talking, and wondered how big a Fig. 12 target should be at that range? I understand they're 19"/475mm across the shoulders up close, so I've tried doing sums but I'm just confusing myself and Google is not my friend on this one. I suspect the paper targets from the gunshop are a little large, but I can't get a mate to stand at 300m while I point a gun to measure his width on my 'scope.

PP 32-34 of the NRA handbook was no use to us, either. Any advice out there, please?

I can then print or buy in the exact proportionate target for us. Or, please, just tell me the sums and I'll take it from there. Cheers, m'dears.
Somewhere in the cellar I have Fig 11/25s, so I could get some measurements and post them here tomorrow (it's a bit late now).

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You lying cünt.
I had an old Webley (Hawk I ?) with the interchangeable .177 and .22 barrels.

When my eyeballs were working properly, probably around 1973, I once shot a toy wooden arrow OFF the roof of next door's house with it from their back garden. Iron sights.

Call me a lying cúnt and I'll come and clamp that chair, with you in it if need be :)

Pip pip old top , what ?

Thanks all, troops. I'm happy that the targets I have are good for 235m actual, which are one to a card from the gunshop, andat rest I can drop five rounds in the central area, just under a ten pence piece size. Next, stood upright, no resting, tonight only three out of five in the central zone and two complete misses around the knees. Got to work on my breathing next. I never was into this stuff, but the relaxation and concentration when looking at the target puts (what are to me are) my severe worldy cares to one side. Nice

Latest Threads