@Sixty - Is he still licking his wounds from yesterday's meltdown??

Jeez, you are a boring one-trick pony.
I'm just curious as to whether the Brexiteers here are (a) too thick to respond to a simple point, which is why they keep responding to the voices in their heads or (b) too snowflakey to accept their minority status.

Which do you think, Uncle Yin?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm just curious as to whether the Brexiteers here are (a) too thick to respond to a simple point, which is why they keep responding to the voices in their heads or (b) too snowflakey to accept their minority status.

You lost - get over it. If you don't like our political system, leave. It really is as simple as that. In the meantime you remain a one-trick poster. Boring.

ACAB

LE

Wanker

Precisely my point. A majority of the electorate either oppose Brexit or dont care.

A minority, enough to gain victory in the GE and referendum, support it.

I'm surprised it's so difficult for so many Brexit supporters, given how a number of them aren't thick, to grasp this.
By the same token though and using exactly the same maths and logic it follows then that a majority oppose remain or dont care

So equally it should be shocking that a number of remainers cant grasp this - That It isn't is because Remain rather like Corbynites and many others invested in identity politics - believe they hold the moral high ground ergo a vote uncast could only be a vote for what they believe In.

So I suppose were back to the point that only votes cast can be counted by either camp since no one can accurately determine where uncast votes would fall**

**In the case of the Brexit referendum - I would expect a small remain Majority in non voters - TypicallyThose wanting change being more likely to vote than those for the status quo - but being offset by the fact that Remain seemed a dead cert which in turn would put some pro voters off as its pointless.

Correct.

The Brexitfaces are in a minority of the population.

Yet they, and the politicians, speak and behave as though there's some kind of national groundswell of Brexittyness.
Are they ?
52% Voted Brexit
48% Voted Remain

Which I agree if you include the didn't votes equates to roughly 33% and 31% of the electorate respectively
So again by that logic Remain is also a minority position and so im not sure how you can claim its undemocratic to not respect the wishes of the Majority - when in fact what you are calling for represents a minority

What the **** don't you understand Moron? The MAJORITY voted to LEAVE the EU, the MAJORITY voted CONSERVATIVE at the last General Election.

Knob jockey!!
Leave it ACAB he ain't worth it.

But seriously, you're all being trolled in a way Bravox2 would be proud of minus the "hilarious" gifs from his special collection.

Its shit like this that is ruining this site.
I think it was @Slime who recently started a decent thread about shitposters.

I suggest people give it a read and stop engaging in fruitless spats.

ACAB

LE
Correct.

The Brexitfaces are in a minority of the population.

Yet they, and the politicians, speak and behave as though there's some kind of national groundswell of Brexittyness.
Oooh

And the referendum was the largest voter turnout EVER

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!

Oooh

And the referendum was the largest voter turnout EVER

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!
I suspect you'd get a larger turnout with a second referendum but with 3 options.

Should we leave the European Union?
Yes
No
Don't care but shut the fuck up about it

I think the non-voters could legitimately be assigned to the third option automatically.

rifleair

War Hero
If we are going to make assumptions about what those who didn't vote thought, and what those who voted labour meant by their votes, then my take is this;

Taking the statistics from the link posted and accepting that:
Those who didn't vote were happy with either outcome.
Every party apart from conservative, labour and the brexit party, were wholly for remain.
The conservatives and the brexit were wholly for leave.
labour were for both, labour voters wanted to either stay or go so their vote can be split 50:50

Then you have the following percentages;

Conservatives 43.6 %
Brexit 2
Labour 32.2/2 16.1%

Total 61.7% of those who voted, voted for leave. I think that could be called overwhelming!

just an observation from a simple country lad:

The Brexit vote was several years ago. More than enough time to relocate to other EU countries, learn a language and become European.

But it seems not that many have.

just an observation from a simple country lad:

The Brexit vote was several years ago. More than enough time to relocate to other EU countries, learn a language and become European.

But it seems not that many have.
Seems to have worked t'other way around though.
People seem to have flocked to this intolerant, racist hell hole.

Why on earth would they do that? What could you offer them post Brexit, other than pain and heartbreak.
I know, it's weird.
A lot seem to travel across the hallowed European mainland to get here.

Its puzzling.

Tyk

LE
No they didn't, bell end.

I know the rozzers have low educational requirements, mate, but presumably doing sums is still a thing? No?
Yes the majority DID vote for Brexit and the Conservatives, I've already debunked your argument that people who didn't vote are part of the voting percentages, your argument is dead and buried.

Labour will give the
people the final say
on Brexit. Within three
months of coming
to power, a Labour
government will secure
a sensible deal. And
within six months, we
will put that deal to a
public vote alongside
the option to remain.
A Labour government
will implement whatever
the people decide.....

That's what Labour said in the vote t'other week.

The Lob Dums:

Every vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote to stop Brexit and stay in the European Union.

Scottish Traitors?

Escape from Brexit
Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU
but has been completely ignored by Westminster
and our interests have been trampled over
throughout the entire process. This is unacceptable.
There is no way that Brexit will be done in the next
few months. Instead it will go on for years as the UK
has to try to negotiate trade agreements with the
EU and countries around the world.
We will work with others across Scotland and the
UK to escape from Brexit. In a UK context, we will
support a second EU referendum with Remain on
the ballot paper. And if it is the only alternative to
a ‘no deal’ Brexit, we will support the revocation of
Article 50.
Whatever Scotland’s constitutional status it is
important for the UK to remain as close to the
EU as possible. SNP MPs will always vote to
protect Scotland’s place in the single market
and customs union.

Terrorist Shiners?

Sinn Féin did not support Brexit and since the EU referendum in 2016 has campaigned for Northern Ireland to have what it calls "designated special status" within the EU, as well as strongly opposing a hard border in Ireland.

In practice, this special status would see Northern Ireland remain within - or very closely aligned with - the EU.

Party president Mary Lou McDonald previously said Boris Johnson's deal was a "least worst option" which would "only mitigate the worst effects of Brexit".

Its manifesto pledges on Brexit include:

• Oppose Brexit...

Sheepshaggers?

...we are campaigning for a final say Referendum in which Plaid will vote for remain

That lot between them got more votes than the Tories.

You're right. That is a silly argument. We live in a democracy where it's common, normal even, for a minority to gain authority.

That's not my argument.

My argument is that Brexit is supported by a minority, and language indicating that the Leave victory implies overwhelming support is simply wrong.

A minority support Brexit.
Ever-Decreasing_Circles_(title_card).jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please.

I do believe that the purpose of this thread was to extract the urine from a certain MOD, not rerun the same old arguments that can be found on multiple other threads.

So can we please stay on thread.

Or at the very least, keep the drift to amusing anecdotes about your refuse collection dates and the colours of your bins.

endure

GCM
Our bin gets emptied on Tuesdays, two week cycle, non recyclable week one recyclable and garden waste week two, though you now have to pay £35 per year extra to get the brown bin (garden waste) emptied. As I only ever have grass cuttings I take them round to one of the local fields to dump.
@Spec-op1989 dumb because just quoting a figure doesn't change the result, it's the way our system works and after 3 votes (the first referendum, the European election and the last election the majority voted to exit the eu.
You can't add up all the other parties votes and claim they won, that's like adding up all the London football clubs scores and claiming London won the FA cup.
We had the brown bin thing (£40 a year) up until recently but the council sneakily admitted that you could put garden waste in the non recyclable bin and they'd still take it away.

It doesn't really matter with our dustmen. You could fill your bin full of dead bodies and they'd still empty it.

Latest Threads