Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Six unknown horsemen of the metal variety, restoration/repaint

wasn't sure to flag this up as a build as there is no building needed just repainting.
no paint.png

went to an open air collectors fair today, nice day for it too, wasn't looking for anything in particular, but noticed six metal horsemen in a tub for 50p each, not great condition as they don't have a patch of paint on them. They reminded me of the British Cavalry in war horse, charging against the German machine guns trying to catch up with modern warfare.
five others.png

I just had to give them a scrub when I got them home, let them dry and gave them a coat of white Halfords primer.
checking out the detail they appear to be holding a curved bladed Sabre in the shoulder, presumably in the charge (against Gerry Heavy Machine Guns)
both sides in white primer.png

one is part painted, but it's probably been repainted over the years so I'm not taking much notice of the red tunic. I guess due to their narrow beam, they are semi flats
red tunic.png

I'm planning to repaint them in Khaki uniforms, each horse being a different colour. Unless someone here can identify their era and they are not WW1.
white grouped.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am guessing there's nothing on the back/base? I can pass the pics onto a mate who's big into flats if you wish, or as a general enquiry on Planet Figure.

I am guessing there's nothing on the back/base? I can pass the pics onto a mate who's big into flats if you wish, or as a general enquiry on Planet Figure.
thanks, any info would be really interesting, nothing on the bases, there's some other details. They are 70mm long by 50mm tall, I'll hold off painting them till we hear back from your mate on planet figures.
carbine.png

end on.png

sabre sheith.png

slashed peaks.png

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Okay mate, with your permission I'll post the pic on Planet figure for a wider audience to have a look at

daz

LE
thanks, any info would be really interesting, nothing on the bases, there's some other details. They are 70mm long by 50mm tall, I'll hold off painting them till we hear back from your mate on planet figures.
View attachment 494143
View attachment 494144
View attachment 494145
View attachment 494146
They might be home cast, these are tagged as "Vintage Semi-Flats Toy Soldiers 45mm. Franco-Prussian War / WW1. Schneider Molds - the riders and horses seem to be in the same sort of style?

"
Vintage-Semi-Flats-Toy-Soldiers-45mm-Franco-Prussian-War-_1.jpg

thanks Buddy, excellent idea, might even raise interest with them in Arrse Modelling pages, use the pix as you feel, here's one of the bases.
base picture.png

ericferret

War Hero
By coincidence I was discussing lead figures with my wife today. She had a number of lead farmyard animals as a child. A friend of mine had a sandmold and we would cast our own soldiers from the patterns.

Can you imagine little Zac today being given a saucepan full of molten lead, with a casual "Don't burn your bloody selves, I haven't got time to get you to the fire station".

Another reminder of the days when phones were rare.
Casulaties were normally tipped into a pram and wheeled at speed direct to the fire and ambulance boys located between the pit and Rolls Royce.

Last edited:
By coincidence I was discussing lead figures with my wife today. She had a number of lead farmyard animals as a child. A friend of mine had a sandmold and we would cast our own soldiers from the patterns.

Can you imagine little Zac today being given a saucepan full of molten lead, with a casual "Don't burn your bloody selves, I haven't got time to get you to the fire station".

Another reminder of the days when phones were rare.
Casulaties were normally tipped into a pram and wheeled at speed direct to the fire and ambulance boys located between the pit and Rolls Royce.

you're a lucky man, when I speak to my wife about lead figures her eye's go to the ceiling.

ericferret

War Hero
you're a lucky man, when I speak to my wife about lead figures her eye's go to the ceiling.

She's well weird, also into railways full size and model (her mate has an N guage layout).
Flys her own plane, like stationary engines and farm machinery.
Saves spiders. Loves children but couldn't eat a whole one.
Has two daughters both mentally scarred.

Not a bad cook but rubbish at housework.
Apparently thats my job as she is far too busy.

I think they look rather Russian - circa 1914 (although the Russian cavalry didn't change much during WW1).

The caps look very similar, the Russians still used traditional sabres. As a bonus the breeches were usually blue at the start of the war (some Hussar regiments usedredor crimson breeches).

Take a look here: Russian Army 1914-18

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Six horsemen?

I wonder who the additional two horsemen of the apocalypse would be in the 21st century?

I’d nominate

5. No internet access
6. SJW

Surely for the 21st century it would be the Barristas of the apocalypse?

Latest Threads