Six Star Generals?

Easy one this.

The US has had two, six-star generals in its day. It is argued that it, the rank, was only used on ceremonial occasions

The rank denotes 'General of the Armies' - as opposed to a mere 'General of the Army' -, and has no equivalent in the British or Commonwealth forces - and causes long looks from anyone used to seeing a (Click here - Field Marshal) (or Five Star General) as the highest ranking soldier at the table.

No small irony that the US only awards a fifth star to generals now at a time of war (i.e. in extremis) and the rank of Field Marshal has been moth-balled and only used for Cenotaph duties.

OK - and without using Google! - can you name the two US Generals in question?

I'm guessing Ike was one and the other would have been the equivalent of the CGS back in the states while Ike was in the field doing his thing.

Do I get an elephant stamp or a rasberry?

One was Washington - though when it was awarded needs to be covered in more detail.

Ike was a 'bog-standard' Five Star - never made Six.

HellonWheels said:
One was General Washington. Awarded Posthumously, I believe.

Actually, postumously, Washington was made a 7-star general! A post awarded to differentiate - specifically - him from every other General in the US Army - previous, current or 'to come'.

And you thought the handing over of a Marshal's Batton was an event? ;)

Who actually gives a Cr*p, lets face it in most yank units you only have to serve 3 years to get Sgt!!!!!!!! Staffy at 5!!!! Which would make most of our guys Col at 22yrs!!!!
DD :twisted:

Whoa! That's a little unfair considering a 'Buck' Sgt (first rung on the infantry NCO ladder - three chevrons) is equivalent to a L/CPL (at least in job spec). A lot of Brit infantrymen hit L/CPL after 18 months (sooner than that in the days of the old Infantry Junior Leaders Bn).
It's not unknown for Brit infantrymen to reach Company Sergeant Major by their late twenties, try reaching 1st SGT in the US infantry in that time.
I have known several Brit infantrymen attain the rank of RSM at age thirty, almost impossible to hit Command Sergeant Major in the US infantry by that age.

doctordeath said:
Who actually gives a Cr*p, lets face it in most yank units you only have to serve 3 years to get Sgt!!!!!!!! Staffy at 5!!!! Which would make most of our guys Col at 22yrs!!!!
DD :twisted:
Splendid - always nice to read the work a fellow devotee..... ;)

So, any further guesses on who the other name is?

So what rank does the Queen hold then?

SKJOLD asked

:roll: Queen.

HM doesn't wear uniform as Lord High Admiral. Past Kings always wore the uniform of Admiral of the Fleet (5*) as LHA. HRH DoE ( God bless him) is an Admiral of the Fleet. Charles may still dress as Admiral of the Fleet when he becomes Lord High Admiral even though the rank is in abeyance.

At the rate the Navy ( and the rest of the armed forces are being run down ) it may be difficult to justify having an Officer Corps at all. Future Navy will have a Boston Whaler, crew of nine commanded by a Leading Hand, a four man RM detachment under a L/Cpl a few shore staff under another Leading Hand and a RM Corporal ( who are also the restyled First Sea Leading Hand and Commandant Corporal) doing admin and supply. King William V will be Lord High Petty Officer.

I asked for that Seadog :) fair point but, although the Queen is the Queen she still has a rank, weather she is in uniform or not.

I think it was something like Captain General of the Armed forces(or is that Bliar), i was told in basic but cant remember now. When she was in Uniform, on trooping the colour I dont remember it to be Field Marshall on her shoulders.

******, have the yanks got big enough shoulders to carry all that?

HM is the Captain General of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, after her father readopted the old title (at a dinner at the mess in Woolwich) between the wars, I believe. He had a habit of that kind of thing; that's why King's Tp RHA are King's Tp and no longer the Riding Tp for example.

Thinking about 6 star generals being the next rung up from fieldmarshal i suppose then that fat boy Hermann's rank of Reichsmarschall would be the same level.

cdo_gunner said:
Thinking about 6 star generals being the next rung up from fieldmarshal i suppose then that fat boy Hermann's rank of Reichsmarschall would be the same level.
I think we're getting mixed up with 'Rank' and 'Rulers' here?

At the Cenotaph, HMQ dersses in civvies: she leaves it to DoE to dress as an Admiral, Charlie dons Col-in-Chief of one of the regiments he's Col-in_Chief of and the Duke fo Gloucester dresses as a Field Marshal (now only a ceremonial post).

The Yanks only award a fifth star to generals in extremis (i.e. at a t time of war) or as a reward for service - the last one was going to be Gen Colin Powell during the first Gulf work out. He never got it. These things have to be 'bestowed' by the US Congress.

The UK simply doesn't, any longer, command the numbers of men to warrant a Field Marsha's rank - hence its now ceremonial use.

Seadog said:
SKJOLD asked

:roll: Queen.

HM doesn't wear uniform as Lord High Admiral. Past Kings always wore the uniform of Admiral of the Fleet (5*) as LHA. HRH DoE ( God bless him) is an Admiral of the Fleet. Charles may still dress as Admiral of the Fleet when he becomes Lord High Admiral even though the rank is in abeyance.

At the rate the Navy ( and the rest of the armed forces are being run down ) it may be difficult to justify having an Officer Corps at all. Future Navy will have a Boston Whaler, crew of nine commanded by a Leading Hand, a four man RM detachment under a L/Cpl a few shore staff under another Leading Hand and a RM Corporal ( who are also the restyled First Sea Leading Hand and Commandant Corporal) doing admin and supply. King William V will be Lord High Petty Officer.
And the above is worthy of a Marshal's baton for pure comedy value alone! ;)

Thanks Sea Dog.

?

Washington was a Lt General (3 Star), and I believe that there were no further 3 star appointments until the War Between the States, when Robert Lee was offered ISTR a brevet Lt Generalship to command the Union Army.

Pershing, commander of the AEF in WW1 was a 4 Star General.

5 Star generals were created as a match to the european rank of Field Marshal, not very many have been created.

The post of General of the Armies refers to the fact that the US was a Federal Army, comprised of militia units from various states. (and ISTR that Washingtons appointment to the post coincided with the disbandment of the Continental Regiment and the regular army being reduced to 18 men, removing Washingtons power base and stopping him staging a coup and declaring himself King). It is a post, like CDS, not a rank.

Thus each state had its own Army, even if diminutive.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Like Ike, he had five.

Latest Threads