Six Shooter Tattoo

Since when did the Royal Pioneer Corps become associated with axes and beards?
(picture accompanying the article)

I'm guessing sometime around the 1980s when someone with enough clout to change things, got a little confused
between the RPC and infantry pioneer sergeants?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Since when did the Royal Pioneer Corps become associated with axes and beards?
(picture accompanying the article)

I'm guessing sometime around the 1980s when someone with enough clout to change things, got a little confused
between the RPC and infantry pioneer sergeants?
38893_199_2722f.jpg

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ah, yes, the new Royal Pioneer Corps cap badge.
Introduced in the 1980s

Judging by the scroll on the badge, about the same time as they started referring to themselves as
'Royal Pioneers'

Pssst...

The 1980's were 30 years ago.

You old twat.

Fixed for free.

Nice to see we're still cutting back just in time for our next war.

A MOD spokesperson said, "We are confident that the army will be fully able to meet the challenges of the future and that the recruitment targets for FR 2020 will be met."

See also:
"The Iraqi's will be too busy throwing flowers at us to mount an insurgency". "There won't be anyone left alive after the bombardment". " The enemy consists largely of old men and boys". etc. etc. etc.

Pssst...

The 1980's were 30 years ago.

You old twat.

Fair enough..
But most real military traditions date from somewhat earlier, and are not normally filched from elsewhere.

I understand the 1985 change came about because some corps members were unhappy about the pick, shovel and rifle depicted on their previous cap-badge, giving the wrong image.
I'd had thought they'd have had more pride in their previous cap badge but their choice.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Fair enough..
But most real military traditions date from somewhat earlier, and are not normally filched from elsewhere.

I understand the 1985 change came about because some corps members were unhappy about the pick, shovel and rifle depicted on their previous cap-badge, giving the wrong image.
I'd had thought they'd have had more pride in their previous cap badge but their choice.

To be fair, I didn't know they changed cap badges. I'd always associated axes with the RPC.

What's all this talk about the Royal Pioneer Corps? It was disbanded in 1993.

The Pioneer Has been around since before Waterloo they were part of every foot regiment. They didn't become a corp till much later. They became part of the RLC in 1993 as part of the army cut backs and have now been disbanded as part of the latest cost cutting shite

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads