Six Nations 2019

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
It's my birthday on 12th Feb, so the OH decides that she was going to surprise me with a visit to Paris to watch the game above until I pointed out that it's being played at Twickenham.I'm now going to Paris to watch it on telly in a fFrench pub instead of being at Twickenham! It's the thought that counts I suppose.
That's hilarious!

Reminded me of @Ravers old colleague who used to commute all the way from Clacton to London, who got up mega early one day to be at work, ready for a "mystery day out".... In Clacton :-D

ETA: 43 sleeps

Last edited:
Well being as how England are shambolic and severely in decline [4th wasnt it last year?] I'm discounting you....
Yes, England are totally shambolic. Did you see them get hammered by the All Blacks? Definitely totally shambolic.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes, England are totally shambolic. Did you see them get hammered by the All Blacks? Definitely totally shambolic.
Yes, I too wondered where that judgement had come from.

4th in the world rankings is hardly shambolic. And with Ireland ranked 2, and Wales ranked 3, I’m looking forward to a close run competition featuring some top level rugby.

I hope I haven’t just jinxed it!

02 Feb then, the sky over the Aviva Stadium will be darkened by the wings of chickens coming home to roost.

DAS

Old-Salt
02 Feb then, the sky over the Aviva Stadium will be darkened by the wings of chickens coming home to roost.
Me thinks it will be a good match. Beyond that I will make no other prediction.

Ireland for the win :)

Offa

War Hero
4th in the world rankings is hardly shambolic. And with Ireland ranked 2, and Wales ranked 3, I’m looking forward to a close run competition featuring some top level rugby.

I hope I haven’t just jinxed it!
So close that it may come down to injury lists - or interpretation of tackle laws and contact with head.

So close that it may come down to injury lists - or interpretation of tackle laws and contact with head.
The rules on contact with the head really need clarifying. The game is quickly turning into football, which is a very bad thing. The guidance should be to penalise dangerous tackles, not to penalise someone who touches the ball carrier's head when they duck into the tackle.

And we need to stop being so ******* soft about arms in the tackles. As long as the arms are coming round, it's fine. I won't be surprised if there's an epic amount of bleating at the ref from Biggar and co. Every time Farrell makes a tackle.

Offa

War Hero
The rules on contact with the head really need clarifying. The game is quickly turning into football, which is a very bad thing. The guidance should be to penalise dangerous tackles, not to penalise someone who touches the ball carrier's head when they duck into the tackle.

And we need to stop being so ******* soft about arms in the tackles. As long as the arms are coming round, it's fine. I won't be surprised if there's an epic amount of bleating at the ref from Biggar and co. Every time Farrell makes a tackle.
Absolutely agree; the advantage is almost always with the ball carrier i.e. run into a tackle leading with the head making it difficult for tackler to change point of aim. The better refs do make allowances for that, but some seem to be so worried about getting it wrong they will always consult TMO.

JNM

War Hero
I'm fancying Wales tbf.
Warren Gatland may have been exaggerating when claiming that four wins from four this November ranks the same as a Six Nations grand slam, but Wales’s progress cannot be ignored any longer. Their three-point victory over Australia was hardly a classic but do not underestimate its significance after 13 successive defeats by the Wallabies. The development of strength in depth continues apace with Gareth Anscombe, in particular, now looking every inch an international fly-half. Such a shame to see Ellis Jenkins suffer a serious injury after shining at openside but if Sam Warburton the flanker is not missed, his leadership may well be come the Six Nations. Alun Wyn Jones is totemic but needs support in that sense. Good to see George North looking dangerous again.
I know Ireland have recently ousted NZ at the top of world rugby, be we have them at home on the last day - I fancy that.
George North won’t be an issue as soon as he gets smashed once, gets concussion and is done for the tournament.

Fancy England they’ve been rotating like mad getting new blood in and have a great squad depth.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

The head issue I agree with, it is becoming almost impossible to tackle above the knees! :cool:

The arms one though I don't agree. This shoulder charge type of barge rather than tackle is becoming prevalent in the game and needs to be stamped on by refs. Farrell is one of the culprits and needs to be reminded that playing for England does not elevate someone above the Laws of the game. If refs start to overlook this then tackles will start to look like (more like :rolleyes: ) American football. There is a very good reason why arms have to be used in the tackle as otherwise dangerous and injury threatening tackles will start to take people out of the game! Using arms reduces the impact somewhat. So IMO refs need to keep on top of this one.

The head issue I agree with, it is becoming almost impossible to tackle above the knees! :cool:

The arms one though I don't agree. This shoulder charge type of barge rather than tackle is becoming prevalent in the game and needs to be stamped on by refs. Farrell is one of the culprits and needs to be reminded that playing for England does not elevate someone above the Laws of the game. If refs start to overlook this then tackles will start to look like (more like :rolleyes: ) American football. There is a very good reason why arms have to be used in the tackle as otherwise dangerous and injury threatening tackles will start to take people out of the game! Using arms reduces the impact somewhat. So IMO refs need to keep on top of this one.
The arms reduce impact?! Have you ever actually tried tacking someone? If you lead with the arms, you're just handing yourself off. Hit and wrap. It's impossible to tackle with the arms first, otherwise it's just a shove.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
My predictions for 6 Nations glory...
1st = Ireland
1st = Wales
3rd England
4th = Scotland
4th = Italy
6th France

I think the championship will be undecided for most of the competition with no clear front runner. England will, I'm sure improve from the Autumn international's; both Ireland and Wales will start strong but rue the inevitable injuries. Scotland, although having had a good autumn, will revert to type and play the kicking game. Italy will have their usual season of also-rans, while France will just be France and either be brilliant or shit!
I haven't looked at the fixture list but I suspect things will be decided by which of the crunchy teams plays the most crunchy fixtures at home.

Latest Threads