Six Nations 2019

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

An interesting view on Tiperic clearing out Richie. He would appear to have gone through the gate, only problem is that it's the Scottish gate!

An interesting view on Tiperic clearing out Richie. He would appear to have gone through the gate, only problem is that it's the Scottish gate!
I noticed that at the time, and it was far from the only time he got away with it. He did that at several breakdowns. I guess you could say that he played the referee well.

Good No 7's play 90% of their game either offside or infringing at the breakdown.
Good referees ping them for it!

@Fang_Farrier

Not to take anything away from your post, but Scotland used to have their own version of the "invisible flanker"
Anyone remember John Jeffrey?
An absolute pain in a Scotland shirt........................but brilliant in Lions one;)

May I refer you to law 15.2?

“A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground.”

In the example shown, no ruck is formed. The ball is in open play, and Tipuric is operating perfectly legally.

May I refer you to law 15.2?

“A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground.”

In the example shown, no ruck is formed. The ball is in open play, and Tipuric is operating perfectly legally.
I would in turn refer you to law 14.10
"Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line."

It was as blatant an offside as I've seen.

ETA:
It is illustrated at 1:57 in this video from the IRB website
https://laws.worldrugby.org/videos/guidelines/4/tackle-en.mp4

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wales have been doing this for a while, when I pointed it out, it was the usual "Celtic" brotherhood crying England arrogant, bad loser etc. How odd it's now just the worst thing ever! :rolleyes:

Wales have been doing this for a while, when I pointed it out, it was the usual "Celtic" brotherhood crying England arrogant, bad loser etc. How odd it's now just the worst thing ever! :rolleyes:
You're over-egging it a bit with your "now it's just the worst thing ever" hyperbole. If you hadn't have done that, I would have commented on your post....

damn it!

I would in turn refer you to law 14.10
"Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line."

It was as blatant an offside as I've seen.

ETA:
It is illustrated at 1:57 in this video from the IRB website
https://laws.worldrugby.org/videos/guidelines/4/tackle-en.mp4
Every day’s a school day!

May I also remind all members that the referee is always right. This is not association football.

Having been referred to Law 14.10 I can understand what you jocks are whining about, but the ref didn't ping it so it didn't happen. I could analyse every match that has ever been televised and come up with countless arguments (excuses) why such and such a score should not have been allowed. However on the whole the following apply:

1. The referee is the final arbiter (or was before video refs!) and his word is law;
2. It is very rare that any game turns on one decision, and generally speaking the better team on the day wins.
3. If the decision had been different the whole game thereafter would have followed a different course. Perhaps (as you fervently hope) the Jocks would have scraped a win. Perhaps Wales would have scored three more tries and run away with it. Who knows? But what did happen was that Scotland threw all their attacking force against a resolute Welsh defence and failed to breach it, thus losing the game. That's it.

Now dry your eyes, stop bleating about what might have (but probably wouldn't have) been and focus on beating England rather than whining about losing against Wales.

May I also remind all members that the referee is always right. This is not association football.

Having been referred to Law 14.10 I can understand what you jocks are whining about, but the ref didn't ping it so it didn't happen. I could analyse every match that has ever been televised and come up with countless arguments (excuses) why such and such a score should not have been allowed. However on the whole the following apply:

1. The referee is the final arbiter (or was before video refs!) and his word is law;
2. It is very rare that any game turns on one decision, and generally speaking the better team on the day wins.
3. If the decision had been different the whole game thereafter would have followed a different course. Perhaps (as you fervently hope) the Jocks would have scraped a win. Perhaps Wales would have scored three more tries and run away with it. Who knows? But what did happen was that Scotland threw all their attacking force against a resolute Welsh defence and failed to breach it, thus losing the game. That's it.

Now dry your eyes, stop bleating about what might have (but probably wouldn't have) been and focus on beating England rather than whining about losing against Wales.
I haven't seen anyone on here disagreeing with your points 1 - 3, although your last paragraph is bollocks, as no one is whining about losing to Wales. Indeed, as has been pointed out, we are generally in agreement that the Referee missed BOTH SIDES being offside at the tackle.

Now, stop playing the victim card and focus on beating Ireland.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I haven't seen anyone on here disagreeing with your points 1 - 3, although your last paragraph is bollocks, as no one is whining about losing to Wales. Indeed, as has been pointed out, we are generally in agreement that the Referee missed BOTH SIDES being offside at the tackle.

Now, stop playing the victim card and focus on beating Ireland.
There’s a lot of that going around....

Latest Threads