Six Nations 2018

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Lawes knock on was clear and obvious. I’m less convinced of the Care “try”. Also it took an excellent last ditch tackle to stop May that people seem to have forgotten. I’m not revising the game, but I honestly think that if we’d have reduced the margin to two points, it may have been different.
Lots of "ifs" but England don't need to dwell on them now. Get that behind them and get ready for the frogs in Paris for if they don't and really take yesterday's score to heart then all they are doing is giving themselves an uphill task in France.

Their last game on St Paddy's Day is set to be a real cracker!

Remember when the interviewer asks Toony of the boys would be allowed to celebrate

Dear Mr Townsend

Please find enclosed a bottle of your favourite malt.
If you could find it in your heart to give the lads a bit of "extra" training on Monday morning, it would be much appreciated.

Yours etc.

Murphy.

I think you’re looking at it through slightly rose tinted specs. If any of the two tries pulled back by McOwens had counted, I honestly think we’d have gone on to beat you. I’m not if and whenning about it but it was closer than the thrashing you seem to think it was.
I'm glad it's only the Welsh who are dripping minges on refereeing.

I'm glad it's only the Welsh who are dripping minges on refereeing.
Not really. After all, I could say the man of the match for the Irish team was the ref, but I won't. Or the TMO in the previous game must have been slipped a few quid by Jones, but I won't.
Ref's decisions are final, after all. (Though I did think Owens did it very well and explained all his decisions so there would be no arguments, futile as that seems to have been).

Lots of "ifs" but England don't need to dwell on them now. Get that behind them and get ready for the frogs in Paris for if they don't and really take yesterday's score to heart then all they are doing is giving themselves an uphill task in France.

Exactly.
Sums up what Ive been thinking since yesterday.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hats off to Barclay, he instilled a huge amount of passion and venom into his team. England never have that under Hartley, they rely on technical ability and fitness which will only ever get you so far. Just shows how leadership can transform a team's attitude and highlights again Gat's shyte selection on the Lions tour. If England have any ambitions to win RWC, they need another leader like Johnson.
I like to think it’s the welshness that’s rubbed off on him.....

My view of the match yesterday:
View attachment 323638

Got back late last night (after a long drive north with my Scottish FiL!!)
I haven't seen the tv replay yet so can only comment on my views of watching the game live.
Firstly well played Scotland, you out played and out muscled England in every department. That said England were poor, they lacked the passion and the discipline and I hope Eddie gives them hell next week in training.
The result aside, yesterday was a fantastic day out. The weather was kind and Murrayfield village was buzzing (massive queues at the Guinness tent) I commented to my FiL that there were thousands of England and Scotland fans, all drinking and mingling together with only a handful of uniformed police wandering about with nothing to do!
I have been to Murrayfield on several occasions but I can never remember Flower of Scotland being sung louder. The talk amongst the fans was of a real belief that Scotland could do something special. The talk amongst us English was of quiet confidence that we would have to play well and that this would be the toughest test for some time. (note, there was no arrogance or thoughts of a foregone conclusion, whatever some on here might say)
As the game progressed the noise levels went up a few decibels and at half time the Scot in front of me asked what I thought England's game plan would be in the second half. I suggested heavy machine guns for the English wingers! He was still cautious of a Scotland win and I was still sure we could turn it around. Come the final whistle, it was handshakes all round with the Scots around me gracious in victory, for my part I hope I was magnanimous in defeat.
In the end we just didn't turn up yesterday and even if we had Scotland were rampant. There was no talk about bad refereeing or lucky breaks. So @Auld-Yin @Fang_Farrier and @johnboyzzz enjoy your well deserved victory, there will always be next year.
Yesterday restored my faith in rugby fans and reinforced why I love the game so much.
By her reckoning, she's never heard singing that loud in Murrayfield (and she was at the Autumn internationals last year)
Just returned home after rather a messy night, finally sobering up. Edinburgh was absolutely jumping last night.

Agreed on the anthems, there was a couple of English lads who were on their first trip to Murrayfield. As FoS finished he just turned round to me and said ‘wow...we’re f**ked!’

Having watched Scotland too often, I was quietly pessimistic until about the 75th minute.

If (I am taking nothing for granted) we beat France, we will need a bonus point. We will then have to batter Ireland by a fair few. I think that if it comes to points, we will come up short.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
If (I am taking nothing for granted) we beat France, we will need a bonus point. We will then have to batter Ireland by a fair few. I think that if it comes to points, we will come up short.
It’s still yours for the taking - I can imagine Eddie et al will have a few choice words on the training Park this week..

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just returned home after rather a messy night, finally sobering up. Edinburgh was absolutely jumping last night.

Agreed on the anthems, there was a couple of English lads who were on their first trip to Murrayfield. As FoS finished he just turned round to me and said ‘wow...we’re f**ked!’

Having watched Scotland too often, I was quietly pessimistic until about the 75th minute.
79 minutes for me! :cool:

79 minutes for me! :cool:
I couldn't watch the whole game. The last time I did so England hammered us, so I thought it best not to be a jinx.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Forget the result in Dublin - Murrayfield was THE GREATEST RESULT since 30 - 3 at Cardiff.

Auld Yin, I hope you are still grinning and gurgling with justified pride! Barclay definitely MotM but it was given to Russell - I cannot think how.

Now: come on you Micks and you Frogs - rub salt into the big-headed wounds!!

PS: How can you hope to win a 6N game with a No. 8 who can barely walk let alone run? Who is he? Where did he come from?
How desperate do you need to be, to make a statement like this?
Still

NatWest 6 Nations Table
2018 - NatWest 6 Nations

(1)Ireland

(2)England

(4)Scotland

(3)Wales

(5)France

(6)Italy

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ok the weekend's rugby could only have been better if Italy had won too. I really can't get the English that are slagging of Nigel Owens. He refereed well, and his decisions were explained every time. For those commentators whinging, Mr Inverdale et al remember that Walrs disallowed try? Rub of the green it was a fortnight ago!
I fear a wounded England, and Scotland have upped their game. However Ireland it's there to be lost now.

Rugby bosses examining the incident in the tunnel prior to Saturday's game.

A vicious assault by that ill disciplined thug Farrell on the innocent and sweet Mr Barclay! No doubt England's RFU will now ask for the game to be declared null and void and a replay at Twickenham! :D

Six Nations 2018: Scotland & England asked to explain pre-match tunnel clash
Ryan Wilson, I believe. Barclay claims he was in the toilet when it happened.

It's not like Ryan Wilson to be involved in a scuffle.....

I watched the whole thing in the company of several seasoned (retired) Falkirk players yesterday with clear lenses.

The general concensus was that no matter what England did yesterday, we would have still have won by a decreased margin...which to be fair you alude to yourself.
"If" is tiny word with massive implications. Even Gobby Eddie, who looked like he was chewing a wasp's nest freely admitted Scotland were just too good on the day.

Every team in every game have had and will continue to be impacted by debatable referee decisions...which at least are backed up now by detailed (replayed visual forensics), expert consideration, enquiry, and final adjudication.

Yes it was close...heartstoppingly so sometimes but we will all carry our own interpretations from yesterday.
At least give me this:
I have England to finally take the trophy and I've said why.
Cannot be fairer than that.
The final score determined whether it was a thrashing or not. Not I.
Anyway, lets' all enjoy the rest of it. Yesterday is already history.
That would be my take on it too. The Scottish rucking and counter-rucking was ferocious and deservedly generated turnover ball whilst getting England steamed up and prone to giving away penalties - always a clear indicator of which side is on top. England's back row is dire compared to the rest of our rivals and, if we must assemble a crew of moronic bashers, at least they should get stuck into the loose and smash the opposition back (legally too Mr Underhill).

Saturday was simply a return to the bad old days of England 'determined to impose their game plan' regardless of what was in front of them. It's frustrating after years of these types of defeat that England still can't recognise that the first twenty minutes of some games, particularly when playing away, is simply going to be an ugly matter of taking the steam out of the opposition and their supporters. The mental inflexibility of England remains a big problem.

My only criticism of Scotland is that I thought they kicked away too much possession in the first quarter which let England off a couple of times - they're an extremely dangerous side with ball in hand and they should make the most of it.

That said, I suspect that the Scots have done the French no favours and normal service will be resumed in Paris.