Six Nations 2018

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My feeling is England will destroy France...they need to have decisive win for their own self belief after today.
If I was a betting man....it's Ireland or England's trophy. Which is hard to say...after today.
I have always considered England beating France in Paris as joyful an occasion as the birth of a child.

Sobering up this morning after well and truly drowning my sorrows yesterday. Well done Scotland a deserved win.
I hope we can bounce back and thrash the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

It'll probably need to last you another decade mate.

Scotland had the run of the ball today.....but they deserved it. Their pack were excellent to a man, outstanding in the counter-ruck.
Yes they were, seemed to win a lot of turnover ball.
On many occasions I was looking at insufficient numbers comitting in the loose scrum and the Jocks spotting this and driving them off the ball.
If this was deliberate, eg to increase men available to create overlap opportunities in the backs, it was poor tactics.
A lot of supposition I know, but it may explain why we just weren't doing enough.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes they were, seemed to win a lot of turnover ball.
On many occasions I was looking at insufficient numbers comitting in the loose scrum and the Jocks spotting this and driving them off the ball.
If this was deliberate, eg to increase men available to create overlap opportunities in the backs, it was poor tactics.
A lot of supposition I know, but it may explain why we just weren't doing enough.
I think the initial difference in the pack was around 5kg a man to England and yet in the set scrum there was parity. I don't recall either side really shifting the other and except for one scrum where Scotland were pinged for hinging, there were not any other scrum penalties that I can think of.

I think the initial difference in the pack was around 5kg a man to England and yet in the set scrum there was parity. I don't recall either side really shifting the other and except for one scrum where Scotland were pinged for hinging, there were not any other scrum penalties that I can think of.
I only noticed this in the loose scrum.

Sobering up this morning after well and truly drowning my sorrows yesterday. Well done Scotland a deserved win.
I hope we can bounce back and thrash the cheese eating surrender monkeys.
Difficult for me to say this as a self confessed rampant patriot but sport should always be sporting.
So....
Don't fret. England will dismember them limb from limb.
They will hang tough with Ireland but will likely win..even if narrowly and in a heartstopping manner.
We did England a backhanded favour with a massive wake up call.
They just lost a game ( ok big time) but not their brutal determination..
They simply need to rejoin their usual dots.
I don't bet...but if I did that's the eventual pattern I'd put a bob on.
Then I'll blame Brexit!

Balls. He was a massive homer. It’s like watching when Barcelona play. They get lionised for the basics. Same with McOwens. He made some bad decisions today and was myopic.
Hats off to Barclay, he instilled a huge amount of passion and venom into his team. England never have that under Hartley, they rely on technical ability and fitness which will only ever get you so far. Just shows how leadership can transform a team's attitude and highlights again Gat's shyte selection on the Lions tour. If England have any ambitions to win RWC, they need another leader like Johnson.
agree. I don’t know who was awarded MotM but it should have been Barclay. He was imperious over the ball in the first half. I also agree and have said previously that Gat’s Lions selections were disgraceful. AB were there for the taking and he cocked it up.

Difficult for me to say this as a self confessed rampant patriot but sport should always be sporting.
So....
Don't fret. England will dismember them limb from limb.
They will hang tough with Ireland but will likely win..even if narrowly and in a heartstopping manner.
We did England a backhanded favour with a massive wake up call.
They just lost a game ( ok big time) but not their brutal determination..
They simply need to rejoin their usual dots.
I don't bet...but if I did that's the eventual pattern I'd put a bob on.
Then I'll blame Brexit!
I think you’re looking at it through slightly rose tinted specs. If any of the two tries pulled back by McOwens had counted, I honestly think we’d have gone on to beat you. I’m not if and whenning about it but it was closer than the thrashing you seem to think it was.

Your recollection equals mine. I was a bit surprised as the Scottish set piece scrum isn’t generally that strong, and I suppose I may have influenced by the preceding week’s puff pieces int the press about England importing the Georgian scrum for practice.

I think you’re looking at it through slightly rose tinted specs. If any of the two tries pulled back by McOwens had counted, I honestly think we’d have gone on to beat you. I’m not if and whenning about it but it was closer than the thrashing you seem to think it was.
You’re entitled to your opinion, but only one of those failed try attempts stood any chance of being awarded. Otherwise the England attack never really looked like breaking through.

I watched the whole thing in the company of several seasoned (retired) Falkirk players yesterday with clear lenses.

The general concensus was that no matter what England did yesterday, we would have still have won by a decreased margin...which to be fair you alude to yourself.
"If" is tiny word with massive implications. Even Gobby Eddie, who looked like he was chewing a wasp's nest freely admitted Scotland were just too good on the day.

Every team in every game have had and will continue to be impacted by debatable referee decisions...which at least are backed up now by detailed (replayed visual forensics), expert consideration, enquiry, and final adjudication.

Yes it was close...heartstoppingly so sometimes but we will all carry our own interpretations from yesterday.
At least give me this:
I have England to finally take the trophy and I've said why.
Cannot be fairer than that.
The final score determined whether it was a thrashing or not. Not I.
Anyway, lets' all enjoy the rest of it. Yesterday is already history.

Last edited:
I watched the whole thing in the company of several seasoned (retired) Falkirk players yesterday with clear lenses.

The general concensus was that no matter what England did yesterday, we would have still have won by a decreased margin...which to be fair you alude to yourself.
"If" is tiny word with massive implications. Even Gobby Eddie, who looked like he was chewing a wasp's nest freely admitted Scotland were just too good on the day.

Every team in every game have had and will continue to be impacted by debatable referee decisions...which at least are backed up now by detailed (replayed visual forensics), expert consideration, enquiry, and final adjudication.

Yes it was close...heartstoppingly so sometimes but we will all carry our own interpretations from yesterday.
At least give me this:
I have England to finally take the trophy and I've said why.
Cannot be fairer than that.
The final score determined whether it was a thrashing or not. Not I.
Anyway, lets' all enjoy the rest of it. Yesterday is already history.
Not disputing any of that. I’m just don’t think it was a thrashing as some of the Rob Roys seem to be thinking.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but only one of those failed try attempts stood any chance of being awarded. Otherwise the England attack never really looked like breaking through.
Lawes knock on was clear and obvious. I’m less convinced of the Care “try”. Also it took an excellent last ditch tackle to stop May that people seem to have forgotten. I’m not revising the game, but I honestly think that if we’d have reduced the margin to two points, it may have been different.

My view of the match yesterday:
20180224_163733 low res.jpg

Got back late last night (after a long drive north with my Scottish FiL!!)
I haven't seen the tv replay yet so can only comment on my views of watching the game live.
Firstly well played Scotland, you out played and out muscled England in every department. That said England were poor, they lacked the passion and the discipline and I hope Eddie gives them hell next week in training.
The result aside, yesterday was a fantastic day out. The weather was kind and Murrayfield village was buzzing (massive queues at the Guinness tent) I commented to my FiL that there were thousands of England and Scotland fans, all drinking and mingling together with only a handful of uniformed police wandering about with nothing to do!
I have been to Murrayfield on several occasions but I can never remember Flower of Scotland being sung louder. The talk amongst the fans was of a real belief that Scotland could do something special. The talk amongst us English was of quiet confidence that we would have to play well and that this would be the toughest test for some time. (note, there was no arrogance or thoughts of a foregone conclusion, whatever some on here might say)
As the game progressed the noise levels went up a few decibels and at half time the Scot in front of me asked what I thought England's game plan would be in the second half. I suggested heavy machine guns for the English wingers! He was still cautious of a Scotland win and I was still sure we could turn it around. Come the final whistle, it was handshakes all round with the Scots around me gracious in victory, for my part I hope I was magnanimous in defeat.
In the end we just didn't turn up yesterday and even if we had Scotland were rampant. There was no talk about bad refereeing or lucky breaks. So @Auld-Yin @Fang_Farrier and @johnboyzzz enjoy your well deserved victory, there will always be next year.
Yesterday restored my faith in rugby fans and reinforced why I love the game so much.

etc etc
Yesterday restored my faith in rugby fans and reinforced why I love the game so much.
Sounds like you had a great day. My 1st visit to Murrayfield was memorable for my mate's dad cuffing the Scot in front of him round the ear for not standing during the National Anthem ("it's your anthem too!") - not a great start! The 2nd was marred by a group of Scots spitting at us as we left a pub, followed by a lot of handbags being thrown. Give me Dublin, Cardiff, Paris or Rome any day!

Sounds like you had a great day. My 1st visit to Murrayfield was memorable for my mate's dad cuffing the Scot in front of him round the ear for not standing during the National Anthem ("it's your anthem too!") - not a great start! The 2nd was marred by a group of Scots spitting at us as we left a pub, followed by a lot of handbags being thrown. Give me Dublin, Cardiff, Paris or Rome any day!
My first (and only) visit to Murrayfield was memorable too. On the train (from Larne, probably) we were shunted into a siding, the lights went out and when they came back on I was engaged to be married.

England won 15 - 0 as I recall.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My view of the match yesterday:
View attachment 323638

I haven't seen the tv replay yet so can only comment on my views of watching the game live.
Firstly well played Scotland, you out played and out muscled England in every department. That said England were poor, they lacked the passion and the discipline and I hope Eddie gives them hell next week in training.
The result aside, yesterday was a fantastic day out. The weather was kind and Murrayfield village was buzzing (massive queues at the Guinness tent) I commented to my FiL that there were thousands of England and Scotland fans, all drinking and mingling together with only a handful of uniformed police wandering about with nothing to do!
I have been to Murrayfield on several occasions but I can never remember Flower of Scotland being sung louder. The talk amongst the fans was of a real belief that Scotland could do something special. The talk amongst us English was of quiet confidence that we would have to play well and that this would be the toughest test for some time. (note, there was no arrogance or thoughts of a foregone conclusion, whatever some on here might say)
As the game progressed the noise levels went up a few decibels and at half time the Scot in front of me asked what I thought England's game plan would be in the second half. I suggested heavy machine guns for the English wingers! He was still cautious of a Scotland win and I was still sure we could turn it around. Come the final whistle, it was handshakes all round with the Scots around me gracious in victory, for my part I hope I was magnanimous in defeat.
In the end we just didn't turn up yesterday and even if we had Scotland were rampant. There was no talk about bad refereeing or lucky breaks. So @Auld-Yin @Fang_Farrier and @johnboyzzz enjoy your well deserved victory, there will always be next year.
Middle Miss Fang is a veteran of Murrayfield, and was at both the Women's games on Friday night which drew a record crowd of 3 thousand and then at Murrayfield yesterday, albeit with a mighty hangover!

By her reckoning, she's never heard singing that loud in Murrayfield (and she was at the Autumn internationals last year)

And just as there will be a next year, there was also last year!

It does mean however, that in the last couple of years, over the course of 10 home internationals, the only team to have beaten us is NZ.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Remember when the interviewer asks Toony of the boys would be allowed to celebrate

Forget the result in Dublin - Murrayfield was THE GREATEST RESULT since 30 - 3 at Cardiff.

Auld Yin, I hope you are still grinning and gurgling with justified pride! Barclay definitely MotM but it was given to Russell - I cannot think how.

Now: come on you Micks and you Frogs - rub salt into the big-headed wounds!!

PS: How can you hope to win a 6N game with a No. 8 who can barely walk let alone run? Who is he? Where did he come from?