Six Nations 2018

I wanted to name my son (born shortly afterwards) Scott Gibbs W***** after that, as it gave Scotland the Championship
Ah yes, Neil Jenkins. Welsh kicking coach. Except when Wales are taking a kick and then he's the water 'boy' who stands behind the kicker. Almost as though he was coaching.

But don't get me started.

Might just be me but I watched the excellent Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri on the flight last week and I think that Gregor Townsend is a double of Woody Harrelson.

The new, simplified version of the Laws don’t mention “downward pressure”, only “grounding the ball”. I don’t believe the old version mentioned downward pressure either.

The new, simplified version of the Laws don’t mention “downward pressure”, only “grounding the ball”. I don’t believe the old version mentioned downward pressure either.
Thanks, you saved me looking it up. So it comes down to a definition of 'grounding'. Perhaps dropping the ball from six inches could be considered 'grounding'?

Or we just go with the ref/s.

Thanks, you saved me looking it up. So it comes down to a definition of 'grounding'. Perhaps dropping the ball from six inches could be considered 'grounding'?

Or we just go with the ref/s.
I didn't check thoroughly enough. Law 21 "In Goal" gives more detail:
  1. The ball can be grounded in in-goal:
    1. By holding it and touching the ground with it; or
    2. By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.

So, by "pressing down", there obviously has to be downward pressure, but no indication is given of how much downward pressure is enough. Therefore, we are back to the official's interpretation.

And the important bit the Beeb missed off

It upheld French coach Jaques Brunel insistence that the decisions had not been made by anyone who was formally connected with the French team, but by the match doctor with the assistance of the video doctor.

Brunel said: “They were collisions, but the head injury protocol was decided by the independent doctor. It wasn’t our decision. Both players had knee injuries, but the independent doctor decided that by the protocol.”

Someone must have said to the doc that he’d sustained a knock to the head. Either him or a member of the coaching staff, I’d have thought. The moment someone says that to a doc, the doc will be duty bound to undertake a HIA. So he says “I must do a HIA” which allows the French to say it was nothing to do with them, it was the doc’s decision to do an HIA.

Re HIA, I'll give it 2-3 years and it will be any player on the pitch can be replaced by any player off the pitch regardless of reason, because every player will have been coached to say "Ow my head" regardless of the injury.

Last edited:
I didn't check thoroughly enough. Law 21 "In Goal" gives more detail:
  1. The ball can be grounded in in-goal:
    1. By holding it and touching the ground with it; or
    2. By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.

So, by "pressing down", there obviously has to be downward pressure, but no indication is given of how much downward pressure is enough. Therefore, we are back to the official's interpretation.
I'd suggest that to press DOWN you have to have your body part above the ball not alongside it, hence the TMO got it right and World Rugby can't correctly apply it's own laws.