Six Nations 2011

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by codbutt, Jan 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A month to go my friends...and the great contest begins! Who will take the trophy this year?

England - much revived, with some impressive performances in the autumn. They've rediscovered backs, running, that sort of thing.
    France - well, some great players there and never to be underestimated, but Lievremont continues to deal wild cards, and that autumn game against Aus suggests something isn't right somewhere.
    Scotland - impressive win over SA and a much improved side, but can they really shed their also-ran status?
    Wales - continue to punch below their weight, and pluck losses from the jaws of victory. A host of key players back from injury means it could come right about now.
    Italy - yes, they are in the Six Nations too. Still a work in progress.
    Ireland - powerful side which also played well in the autumn, and has to be a fair bet for the title.

WHAT DO YOU THINK???

2. Wales win the grandslam every 3 years. So it's our turn again. So let it be written, so it shall be done.

3. I'd throw some money on Scotland

To get the wooden spoon :D

4. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :)

I will go for Ingerland to win but no GS, followed by Ireland, France, Scotland, Wales and Italy fighting for wooden spoon

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I don't think Ingerlund are that much of a shoe-in for the title. I agree that there will be no GS this year, but I also think that England will be forced to play to their limits in every game and that these limits will be found wanting.

My thoughts would be

England or Ireland (and not by much whichever team gets it)
    then
    Scotland, Wales or France (this one will depend on who has the steadiest kicker)
    then
    Italy (Improving well and may give some teams a bit of a fright, but..........)

With a bit of luck the standard of commentating will have improved also, but I am not putting any money on it.!!! :(

7. I'd like to see Wales do well. We have a great team, but wether we can pull it together......

As much as it pains me to say it, England have an exceptional team at the moment, and the Saints trio add a lot of power to the team.

8. As an English man who grew up in Wales (but played for the Welsh Regiment) and now lives in South Africa (one English Daughter, one Bokka boy), you can understand my torn loyalties but as ever England and I wish them the best of luck.

9. I'd love to see Wales do well. And Scotland, Ireland, France & Italy. The closer the level of the teams the better. We'll see though if that happens and, if it does, whether that equality kills the games or not.

As to the Saints 'trio': it's a quartet and Lawes is on fire. But we can rely on the unruly Hartley to play well but give away shed loads of penalties. Did anyone see what he did at the weekend against Quinns ? Unbelievable he didn't get red carded. I'm a rugby ref' and he would have seen a red from me. Bloody Kiwis ! ;-)

D_B

10. Very true, how I forgot about Lawes may be explained by the pub lunch. He's playing extremely well at the moment.

Hartley sohuld have been binned, but he usually keeps a lid on things when playing for England. Fingers crossed he gives away 3 points after 3 points when playing against Wales.

11. IRELAND!! IRELAND!! TOGETHER STANDING TALL!! :)

Ireland are clearly the team for me but whether they can pull it off or not? @.@ I don't think they've been up to standard lately and there's no consistancy and I'll be missing most of it anyway due to starting basic but I will be wearing my Ireland top with pride in England ;-)

I think England might be in with a chance this year but there's always too much pressure put on the team to do well..

Ireland or England for me :)

Paddington

12. X59

X59 LE

Top tip for a decent commentary is to use the interactive option on the telly and select local radio station.

'Biased' Brian Moore is a prime example of how not to commentate.

13. You can do that? No offense but I hate having to listen to English commentators :-(

Cheers X59!!

15. Oh and as for my 4p worth on the games. France have England at Twickenham where they blow up like a 17 year old Pakistani with jihad on his mind so they won't be any Grand Slams for La France. Ireland have England and France in the Aviva stadium (wherever the **** that is) so they stand a pretty good chance but I don't know whether they have the manpower. On the other Hand England haven't done well in Ireland recently - although that could have been the Croake Park hoodoo. Wales have France at Stade De France, they haven't looked anything like worldbeaters in the Autumn Internationals, and they will probably be ring rusty against England as its their first game - although it is at home for them.

I think Scotland only beat South Africa because the Jarpies decided to put their blind school in Springbok jerseys. I don't think they'll do anything because the only game they get up for is the England game, and that's at HQ this year.

In summary. No Grand Slam for anybody. Ireland have the best set of home games but they haven't set my world on fire. 6 Nations to England on points difference over France (both loose one game). Wales and Ireland Mid Table, Italy pull a blinder to beat Scotland at Murrayfield because the Scots have tired themselves out trying to batter England into submission 6 days before.