Six More US MIA returned to their families

Trouble is with with Stalin order 227 is that you should have died fighting... so obviously if were a surviving prisoner of the Germans and finally repatriated, you obviously failed to obey the order and will be punished.

In regards to the battle of the Imjim river. I wonder if there were segeant majors, not only with the Gloucesters but all over 29 Brigade going "Chinese sir, thousands of them>"

In regards to the battle of the Imjim river. I wonder if there were segeant majors, not only with the Gloucesters but all over 29 Brigade going "Chinese sir, thousands of them>"
Now your just doing it to annoy everybody...... and find out if Bodenplatte will really explode.

Trouble is with with Stalin order 227 is that you should have died fighting... so obviously if were a surviving prisoner of the Germans and finally repatriated, you obviously failed to obey the order and will be punished.
Not just Germans, Russian POW's of the Finnish War also had the same fate when released of long gulag sentences if not executed

Not just Germans, Russian POW's of the Finnish War also had the same fate when released of long gulag sentences if not executed
Bit of a pisser... Stalin is going to execute you for following a bad officers commands..... there were no good officers as Stalin had already had them executed.

Bit of a pisser... Stalin is going to execute you for following a bad officers commands..... there were no good officers as Stalin had already had them executed.
Well Zhukov survived by being in the far east during the purges

With regard to German PoWs, it is a matter of record that the Russians released Germans even in 1945 as there were pleas to release men for reconstruction in the Soviet Zone. The collection and transport of PoWs to Russia was dependent on the rail system and as Russian ex Pows and the spoils of war were prioritised before Germans,as well as shifting combat units to the Far East. Also, the Gulag was bursting at the seams so the easiest thing to do was to either not move the Germans to Russian camps or to release the men captured since 1941. There were cases of Russian units releasing prisoners simply because they couldnt or wouldnt feed them. As for men kept until 1955, they tended to keep any skilled men,such as pilots, engineers, tankers,gunners, pioneers and so on as well as SS and paras (whom they regarded as convinced Nazis) and use them as bargaining chips to extract funds from the West. Adenauer devoted a great deal of time and effort to get them back.

Well Zhukov survived by being in the far east during the purges
I remember watching a programme a good few years ago now about Soviet POW's captured by the Germans. In it was a Soviet pilot who had been shot down and captured by the Germans. He was released by the Soviets in 1945 and then sent straight to the gulags. He said he had been better treated by the Germans than by his own side.

I remember watching a programme a good few years ago now about Soviet POW's captured by the Germans. In it was a Soviet pilot who had been shot down and captured by the Germans. He was released by the Soviets in 1945 and then sent straight to the gulags. He said he had been better treated by the Germans than by his own side.
Look up Operation Keelhaul. I can't get the link to it at the moment. Not our proudest hour IMO.

Couple of video's about the Mayor and people of Paju Provice sending PPE to Gloucestershire back in May last year in gratitude for the stand by 1 Glosters in the battle of the Imjim river in 1951. Paju province is the area in which the battle was fought. They also built the Gloster memorial park at the site of the last stand. This was at the height of the worldwide shortage of PPE.

Latest Threads