Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Six Hampshire police officers accused of breaching standards

A bug was placed in the office of the Hampshire police's serious crime squad and six officers have been charged with breaching professional standards for comments that in a previous day might have been dismissed as "off colour".

What surprises me is that if one were to read the threads relating to policing on this site one would be led to believe that such comments went out with the dinosaurs and that UK police services are now thoroughly taken over by knee-taking, woke, rainbow-wearing, social justice warriors. It would appear not, the spirit of Gene Hunt lives on.

I do appreciate this is the CA thread and therefore of a more serious nature but seriously, read the comments and then try and work out what their ARRSE names are.

Opening the case against them, Jason Beer QC said: “It was a unit that was racist – a black officer is described as a ‘pavement special’, ie a mixed-breed dog. People are described as ‘pikeys’; a black officer is accused of behaving like a colonial overseer running a plantation of white people. When speaking to a black officer, a colleague puts on a fake Caribbean accent – in fact he was from Ghana. A detail like that doesn’t matter, he was a black man after all.

“A black officer is accused of being flown to England from Africa in a crate and taken to London zoo; all the time a song is sung in the background to the tune of Buffalo Soldier.”

Beer added that “offensive” photos of black men were shared on a WhatsApp group in reference to the only black officer in the unit.

Beer also said the unit displayed sexism: “Women were called or referred to as ‘whores’, ‘sluts’, ‘sweet tits’ or ‘sugar tits’, ‘Dorises’, ‘a ******* Doris’ … A suspect is called a ‘******* ****’. And the officers ponder amongst themselves if a person using the tannoy system is ‘getting any cock’.”

Beer said the covert recording device caught derogatory terms being used for disabled, gay and transgender people, and suggestions that Albanian nationals “should be shot or even killed with a nerve agent”.

It was also said that “illegal immigrants deserve the death penalty”, Beer told the hearing. “The officers joked about immigrants having a ‘long swim’ and drowning in the sea.

Edited to add link.

Did anyone actually think that you'd bug the relaxation area of a high stress job and catch a meeting of the Vicarage book club?

Were their any real complaints by colleagues or members of the public concerning actual incidents of racist/sexist conduct?

Aren't there laws/rules against bugging in the workplace? I thought it required authorisation from a magistrate. The defence should push the line that it infringed their right to privacy - what next, breaking into their houses and bugging their family conversations?

I notice that neither the original article nor this thread asks what I'd consider quite an important question:

Are they any good at their job?

Employing someone just because they'd be good at their job, that would be racist

A close acquaintance after a successful 10 years in the forces leaving with reasonable commissioned rank joined the police and rose to very senior rank he was determined not to be racist when he joined, after 25 years of experience he was absolutely institutionaly racist. through experience.

RTU'd

Old-Salt
The Police, possibly racist and using non politically correct language?
Just surprised the daily wail has not started a campaign to rid the Police of all non white officers

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I notice that neither the original article nor this thread asks what I'd consider quite an important question:

Are they any good at their job?
As a resident of Hampshire I can say, in all honesty, No.

Go into any large construction site's canteen at lunch break, and listen to the banter and piss taking. The conversations nearly always include comments on, the site agent, the site manager, some prat who has F***** up big time, the architects balls up with dimensions or colour scheme, and who TF thought that was a good idea? and many more derogatory comments, all far more salacious than anything plod can come up with, and when lunch break ends, its back to work, and normal jogging, all previous conversations are forgotten.
Yes, that may be so, but you are comparing apples with a bench drill. And that's not the Police Force. Are you happy to have (let's say) a rape, a homophobic or racially-inspired attack on a relative investigated by police officers who do little to disguise their grossly misogynist, homophobic or racist behaviour? Do you think they would apply their full diligence to investigating an attack on a 'gay Paki' for example?

Serious crime squad.
I wonder if their client base represented the local demographic accurately?
Or maybe certain demographics had a tendency to be more violent fraudulent and generally "criminals" and be over represented when helping with enquiries.

Did anyone actually think that you'd bug the relaxation area of a high stress job and catch a meeting of the Vicarage book club?

Were their any real complaints by colleagues or members of the public concerning actual incidents of racist/sexist conduct?
Where are you getting the "relaxation area" from? The article says "offices", ie workplace.

Again I come back to the main point, these guys knew the rules, they knew that such rules matter intensely to their employer. You may think such rules to be asinine and in many ways I might agree with you, but they are the employer's rules and have been the rules for decades, reinforced no doubt by continuous reminders and workshops. There simply cannot have been anyway in which in this day and age the officers weren't aware of these rules.

The comments weren't made off-duty in the golf club or at the rugby club, they were made in the workplace during work hours.

If you feel you cannot abide by your employer's rules you are free to leave at any time, if you decide to remain at the job, you obey the rules. It really is that simple.

endure

GCM
They should have bought them all a copy of 'Kill the black one first' for Xmas.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A close acquaintance after a successful 10 years in the forces leaving with reasonable commissioned rank joined the police and rose to very senior rank he was determined not to be racist when he joined, after 25 years of experience he was absolutely institutionaly racist. through experience.
I've said in the past how a Bangladeshi Muslim friend is surgically precise about the characteristics of people from different parts of where she's originally from.

Example: "Oh, they're from so-and-so region. They'll buy all their clothes from charity shops but every penny goes into property - they'll dress in rags but have a portfolio of several houses that they rent out."

And so on and so on. She's gloriously un-PC but also brutally honest.

A friend of mine from a Customs background (who commits the heinous crime of being white) once ran through a check-list of character traits of various nationalities based on his day-to-day dealings.

Example: "You'll never get a Nigerian to admit guilt. Even when presented with all the evidence, no matter how irrefutable, they'll deny things all the way to a jail cell and still see themselves as the wronged party."

Barely any time after that conversation, the Fiona Onasanya case started.

I listened to or read about it and just laughed. And laughed, and laughed. Because, however un-PC my friend's comments were, he described Onasanya's behaviour to a T, before it had even happened.

Now, I'm not saying that all Nigerians are dishonest, and neither was he. But he was describing a common trait based on experience.

Stereotypes and cliches have their roots in fact. That's not a comfortable truth for some people but it is the truth. And if people are less than wholesome, it will influence your opinions of them.

So, was your friend institutionally racist or unfashionably honest?

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
In the workplace?
Well you can’t get more privacy in the workplace than the toilets at my old nick.
Modern building, no windows, air conditioning that never worked.
Some one in the crapper, how’s this for a laugh, walking out and off with the lights, you could hear the shouts of “OY BASTARD PUT THE LIGHTS, by that time you were out in the corridor having a damn good chuckle.
Now that is a laugh as it was pitch black in there, couldn’t see a damn thing with the lights out, now that is privacy in the work place. :slow:
And harmless.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
While the reported behaviour is unacceptable, my question would be how the BAME Officer in the team felt. I suspect he felt victimised, but I have worked with BAME people who's banter could similarly be arguably offensive. My favourite was a lovely man from the Carribean, larger than life, ex CPO chef, who's morning greeting was invariably 'Morning Honkies'.

Did I miss that bit?
Does it say anywhere that they were?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn the black Officer wasn't in the least bit offended by the banter and also one of the naughty people on the tape.
Obviously heads at the Grunida will explode as a result - which is no bad thing.
'in reference to the only black officer in the unit.'

PCs bugging other PCs to uncover non PC language. Must make everyone on that particular Force feel really secure and trusted.

Having said that, what a bunch of cnuts those officers were, but more so their immediate bosses who must have known the guys involved and how they spoke, and seemed to have done nothing to curb it. Other than inserting covert bugging systems.
Nothing new, one particular CO used to bug his soldiers during op banner (I kid you not).

Stereotypes and cliches have their roots in fact. That's not a comfortable truth for some people but it is the truth. And if people are less than wholesome, it will influence your opinions of them.

I have this conversation with my (more liberal) Mrs. Why are stereotypes acceptable when 'good' but unacceptable when 'bad'.

The Japanese are, on the whole, polite. I know it; you know it; they know it. This is fine.

The Dutch are, on the whole, fairly relaxed. I know it; you know it; they know it. This is fine.

The Afghans are, on the whole, untrustworthy. I know it; you know it; they know it. GAAARRRGGGHHHHH EVIL BIGOT!